What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago (5?6) I posted I removed half a finger with a table saw (and lost most of the feeling in my thumb) Fortunately I am right handed.
Edit: makes no difference to my beekeeping..or yoga.

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Every now and again I get tempted to buy a table saw, and then I'm helped back to the real world by these pictures.
So I hope today's mishap recovers quickly and thank you.

Several years ago (5?6) I posted I removed half a finger with a table saw (and lost most of the feeling in my thumb) Fortunately I am right handed.
Edit: makes no difference to my beekeeping..or yoga.
I remember Mike ....it only takes a momentary lapse of concentration.

My amateur table saw is so useful, especially for things like slicing planks into 9mm strips but I am never less than sh!t scared when using it - which, I hope, makes me take that extra bit more care.

It has not been fun reading about the accidents that some of you have had. It would be very bad for me.

coming from a mining community, missing digits is the norm - in fact SWMBO reckoned it was a membership requirement in our club and couldn't understand how, as chairman I still had a full set.
I remember once when we were at Bancffosfelen agrcultural show showing our horses and an old boy from a neighbouring village turned up to chat (like my father, his family were also milkmen, but Ita Moses had worked underground with my grandfather). Old Ita was admiring our horse and he stepped over to help me adjust her bridle when I noticed he had but a thumb and index finger on his left hand - and not much more on his right!
Same as my old job, quite a few of my shipmates mislaid a finger, or part of one whilst working on deck, or whilst boarding/leaving an intercepted vessel.

I remember Mike ....it only takes a momentary lapse of concentration.
Thanks.
I am super extra careful now- wooden pushsticks.. made my own in ply

I made sure I did not get any mental scarring by using my table saw the week after I lost my half finger. Did not want any phobias impeding my life..

My amateur table saw is so useful, especially for things like slicing planks into 9mm strips but I am never less than sh!t scared when using it - which, I hope, makes me take that extra bit more care.

It has not been fun reading about the accidents that some of you have had. It would be very bad for me.
I heard about these some years ago. I've never seen one used anywhere however.

https://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop/the-technology/

My brother who works on the oil rigs lost the top half of a thumb. Never one to miss an opportunity for a laugh, he amused his nephews and nieces endlessly with that thumbs game where you appear to have lost half a thumb. Except in his case...

coming from a mining community, missing digits is the norm - in fact SWMBO reckoned it was a membership requirement in our club and couldn't understand how, as chairman I still had a full set.
I remember once when we were at Bancffosfelen agrcultural show showing our horses and an old boy from a neighbouring village turned up to chat (like my father, his family were also milkmen, but Ita Moses had worked underground with my grandfather). Old Ita was admiring our horse and he stepped over to help me adjust her bridle when I noticed he had but a thumb and index finger on his left hand - and not much more on his right!
Same as my old job, quite a few of my shipmates mislaid a finger, or part of one whilst working on deck, or whilst boarding/leaving an intercepted vessel.
Similar for me, working on farm. Recall as a child a bloke who'd stuck his arm in a baler, coming in to tell us all it was a bad idea..

Sewn up many a DIY injury when I worked in A&E. My brother was a carpenter life long. As an apprentice he did saw into a finger, but no injuries for the rest of his career.
The worst case I can recall was a chap who walked In with tea towels wrapped round his hands, only he had amputated both at the wrists. From his general appearance I was so surprised when I removed the towels. It was an industrial injury though. Be careful out there!

I'll just have some scarring, and perhaps a wobbly finger nail.
be prepared fr it to be quite a while before you have a decent fingernail - when I sliced my thumb, I didn't have to cut the nail on it for over a year, once the would healed, a new thumbnail grew underneath the old one, then one day the old nail would just loosen and drop off leaving me with a soft, but complete new thumbnail, then a few months later, the same would happen again, and again, and aga........

What a grim conversation for today. It's enough to make you go and stick your head in a bandsaw.

James
remember my grandfather telling me that when he worked in the tinplate works in the 1920's it was very unusual to see a one legged amputee - when the red hot sheets came off the rollers, they would glide along the floor the same as a sheet of paper sometimed does - any of the doublers or behinders that weren't fleet of foot would, as often than not getting bith legs sliced off - but at least there was never much blood as the plates would cauterise the wound!

Has anyone managed to make their own cedar nationals for cheaper than Thornes 1sts? I quite fancy learning a bit of wood working and getting the equipment, but not if it works out far more expensive than buying them (not including the equipment). Thanks

Has anyone managed to make their own cedar nationals for cheaper than Thornes 1sts? I quite fancy learning a bit of wood working and getting the equipment, but not if it works out far more expensive than buying them (not including the equipment). Thanks
I can make hives cheaper than Thornes seconds in material costs but if I allow for labour it would be much more expensive.
I buy second boxes and make everything else to my own design much cheaper than Thornes.

I can make hives cheaper than Thornes seconds in material costs but if I allow for labour it would be much more expensive.
I buy second boxes and make everything else to my own design much cheaper than Thornes.
Oh I don't mind the labour as I will enjoy doing it. Any excuse to be in the shed suits me fine. I'd have to learn how to read wood working plans and how to make jigs though. That is the hardest part for me

Has anyone managed to make their own cedar nationals for cheaper than Thornes 1sts
why Thorne's firsts? made from timber shipped halfway around the world and then priced a a premium to satisfy the smugness of the usual buyers - so would you want to make them the same?

Latest posts

Back