What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've put polystyrene sheet between the correx filling the empty frame and used them on either side of the box overwinter. Think they give more insulation than a part-drawn or empty brood frame. ?
I have taken a DN1 frame and put polystyrene sheet inside it. A quick spray of adhesive on the faces and a sheet of baking foil as a reflector makes a good insulated dummy board

Had a play today. Thought I would make a different type of bait hive. Wrapped a hooped plastic pipe with thick self adhesive floor covering flecked with spay paint.
Put castellations in the top with old side bars, sealed the bottom, made a top and drilled a hole in the side.
I’ll strap it to a tree in the spring and see if swarms like my pretend tree. 😁
IMG_2571.jpegIMG_2642.jpegIMG_2633.jpeg

Had a play today. Thought I would make a different type of bait hive. Wrapped a hooped plastic pipe with thick self adhesive floor covering flecked with spay paint.
Put castellations in the top with old side bars, sealed the bottom, made a top and drilled a hole in the side.
I’ll strap it to a tree in the spring and see if swarms like my pretend tree. 😁
View attachment 38734View attachment 38735View attachment 38736
What diameter and length did you use? Was the pipe slotted as per a drainage pipe

What diameter and length did you use? Was the pipe slotted as per a drainage pipe
ID is approx 200mm and length approx 1000mm the volume is approx 40 litres.
The pipe is not perforated but a smooth pipe with hollow ribs on the outside for crushing strength.
I wrapped it because I wanted to give a consistent heat resistance so the temperature in the pipe didn’t fluctuate too much.

Got carried away in the workshop today so after finishing my pretend tree bait hive I moved on to make some of the nuc boxes I propose to use as double nucs that Mike Palmer extolled the virtues of at the NHS last year.
IMG_2644.jpeg

Couldn’t cope with Call the midwife so disappeared up the shed to knock up a pack of 50 DN1’s. First of many this year I think.

Reactions: Ely
Couldn’t cope with Call the midwife so disappeared up the shed to knock up a pack of 50 DN1’s. First of many this year I think.
I find Call the Midwife very emotional too and a one hour spell in the bee shed settles me down, I come back in at 9pm to hand a tissue and a cup of tea to SWMBO (more brownie points in the bank).

Redesigned my finger whilst cutting top bars on the table saw 🫣

Lesson learnt- wait for the blade to stop before you pick stuff up.. or maybe put the guards back on when they don't need to be off..
View attachment 38906
And there but for the grace of god go I (and probably quite a few others!)

A salutary reminder to us all to take care and never let your guard down (pardon the pun!) when using power tools.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you're back to full operation speedily.......I had a bad kickback last year which other than putting me out of action for a couple of
weeks, frightened the bejesus out of me....I always fit the crown guard now!

All the best,

Mark

Redesigned my finger whilst cutting top bars on the table saw 🫣

Lesson learnt- wait for the blade to stop before you pick stuff up.. or maybe put the guards back on when they don't need to be off..
View attachment 38906
Get well soon. Hope you don't lose too much feeling in the finger.

Been there, done it and got the T-shirt plus the tingling thumb 2 years down the line. Keep it clean - main advice. Any sign of infection get an antibiotic and if needs be a swab to get the right one

I can still see the scar on my left index finger (trigger finger as well!) when a saw slipped whilst helping my father - over forty two years ago, also the scar on my left thumb when I virtually sliced it in half with a Stanley knife the same year.

Latest posts

Back