What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d left a couple of part filled supers on a hive, separated from the bb by a crown board and empty super, with just a small hole in the crown board for access. Even bruised any capped honey for them.

Checked today and they’re not moving it down. I’ve tried this a couple of times before and it never seems to work for me. In previous years I thought it was possibly due to a late flow but it’s been cold and damp recently so I was hoping it would have worked this time. They’re pretty light too so it’s not like they don’t need it.

Think I’ll have to take the supers off, spin the frames out and then feed it back to them. Could do without it to be honest, the spinner has been cleaned and packed away.

I’d left a couple of part filled supers on a hive, separated from the bb by a crown board and empty super, with just a small hole in the crown board for access. Even bruised any capped honey for them.

Checked today and they’re not moving it down. I’ve tried this a couple of times before and it never seems to work for me. In previous years I thought it was possibly due to a late flow but it’s been cold and damp recently so I was hoping it would have worked this time. They’re pretty light too so it’s not like they don’t need it.

Think I’ll have to take the supers off, spin the frames out and then feed it back to them. Could do without it to be honest, the spinner has been cleaned and packed away.
I have before now put the supers to be cleared under the crown board they will rob them out that way as well.
I’ve done it with nuc extensions also.

I have before now put the supers to be cleared under the crown board they will rob them out that way as well.
I’ve done it with nuc extensions also.
Mine don't seem to take stores from the super, either, and I did take one off to store and offer it back in Spring. That worked last year, but I need to remember those wax moths....The entremely full double broods sometimes need the super left on for space and stores!

Still stripping box's & putting strips in (Apistan) this year.
Had a dose of sepis recently and it is still a struggle to do a full day.
Not a lot needs feeding fortunately, apart from the late nucs.
I received a much welcomed gift of a Montecola Queen bred on Anglesey courtesy of Stuart/ Buckfast Wales who is one of the most knowledgeable people I know regarding breeding lines and whom I hold in very high regard, these are some of the very best stocks I have.
My 110 let me down today, injector leak off pipe split, I still got back to base, but now the truck stinks of diesel.

My 110 let me down today, injector leak off pipe split, I still got back to base, but now the truck stinks of diesel.
better than the vestigial whiff of brake/clutch oil after the clutch replacement I had to have last week - thankfully my local garage charges weren't too painful

better than the vestigial whiff of brake/clutch oil after the clutch replacement I had to have last week - thankfully my local garage charges weren't too painful

Is yours a puma then?.
The thrust bearing in those are shockingly bad, with the gearbox being a close second.
I've changed both many times in a previous life on customer vehicles.
You can't even drop the box on the crossmember like is possible with the R380.

Checked a couple of nucs I'd made up with late season queens a few weeks back and left alone for a few weeks so the queens could settle... Took a gamble on some discounted Carniolans from Bee-who-shall-not-be-named.

Turns out that the two tabs on the introduction cages were different to any design I've encountered before. One of the tabs leads to a queen excluder sized gap meaning that if it's hidden in fondant and the beekeeper only opens one tab, the queen can't get out. One was alive and I let her join the nuc but suspect they won't make it now as they've lost a week or two of laying time. The other the queen had died. Bit gutted but will chalk that to experience.

20241003_130321.jpg

Did a bit of strimming in one apiary, again the bees were more interested in the spark plug cap than me and stung it to death!!!!

Last edited:
Still stripping box's & putting strips in (Apistan) this year.
Had a dose of sepis recently and it is still a struggle to do a full day.
Not a lot needs feeding fortunately, apart from the late nucs.
I received a much welcomed gift of a Montecola Queen bred on Anglesey courtesy of Stuart/ Buckfast Wales who is one of the most knowledgeable people I know regarding breeding lines and whom I hold in very high regard, these are some of the very best stocks I have.
I have to replace one of those quite regularly due to the location of it's run, I am presuming we are talking about the braided rubber hoses. If it has leaked for a distance then I give a good soapy wash down and dump more still down to the engine cover tray, that seems to limit the stink. The Monticola, is that your only one ?

Is yours a puma then?.
The thrust bearing in those are shockingly bad, with the gearbox being a close second.
I've changed both many times in a previous life on customer vehicles.
You can't even drop the box on the crossmember like is possible with the R380.
Saab 9-3 clutch, dual mass and slave, now that is a joy.........not. For my sins I have just changed a drive shaft today

Latest posts

Back