What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really in the apiary but couldn’t think of another thread to put it on.
Spent a really lovely day going around Leonardslee Gardens in West Sussex on Monday. Beautiful gardens with wallabies, dear and a couple of WBC hives tucked away in the corner near some heather. The little map showed other hives in another private part of the garden along with some chooks.
So after the obligatory tea and cake before leaving I spotted a jar of “Leonardslee honey” in the shop and as one does, I looked on the back to find the label below.

😡😡😡😡

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Spent a really lovely day going around Leonardslee Gardens in West Sussex on Monday. Beautiful gardens with wallabies, dear and a couple of WBC hives tucked away in the corner near some heather. The little map showed other hives in another private part of the garden along with some chooks.
So after the obligatory tea and cake before leaving I spotted a jar of “Leonardslee honey” in the shop and as one does, I looked on the back to find the label below.

😡😡😡😡
As we're not a member of the EU and there's more than one hive I suppose there's possibly truth in the material. I'd have asked a member of the organisation to clarify.

As we're not a member of the EU and there's more than one hive I suppose there's possibly truth in the material. I'd have asked a member of the organisation to clarify.
I made a comment but the servers within the shop just shrugged and said they knew nothing about it.

Last feed of the year done. They have guzzled down what I gave them so far so each hive will have received 12kg sugar each. Ivy still coming in, plenty of pollen. Still have a bit of mite treatment in two hives going on as I got delayed, but its still warm enough so I am not too worried.

😡😡😡😡
Interesting info

Put some syrup on 5 colonies, and were they bad tempered! Stings on each arm, and one on the ear. I’ve always wondered why they didn’t sting through the ‘hat’, but found out that they can. Fortunately no swelling. They‘d calmed down a bit by the time I’d fed 4 of them. And a strong smell of ivy in the apiary.

I suppose for Lenordslee it is a chance to mark up the honey price for profit, shame though that some or most customers who buy it will be deceived into buying fake goods rather then a local natural product.

If it was truly from their hives, I’m sure the label would state British /English rather than “non EU”
Sounds dodgy to me and packed in Harrogate by a fudge maker??

I suppose for Lenordslee it is a chance to mark up the honey price for profit, shame though that some or most customers who buy it will be deceived into buying fake goods rather then a local natural product.
RHS and NT often have hives on their properties but don’t sell their own honey (Often from a local beekeeper) but at least they don’t misleadingly label it as coming from that property!

RHS and NT often have hives on their properties but don’t sell their own honey (Often from a local beekeeper) but at least they don’t misleadingly label it as coming from that property!
Yes but at least it is local produce .

I always have a look at the honey for sale when I'm visiting English Heritage or NT properties. There's usually honey from 2-3 local beekeepers, often labelled to reflect the area generally, but not overtly labelled as if it came from the property itself.
It's almost always genuinely local.

Last edited:
Spent the day trying to replace the last of my floors with OAV friendly ones. Unfortunately one hive took objection to me trying to replace it's floor and I ended up with about 20 stings in my legs and ankles before I managed the job.
I return tomorrow to do the rest of the hives!

I'm planning to change my floors to the same as yours for vaping at the bottom. I meant to do it this year after they filled my vape ekes last year with ivy honey! 😄
Somehow never got around to it but must make myself a note for a winter project. 🙂

Weighed the 3 main hives and all have about 20lbs of stores which is about the same as last weekend. Not going to fill up on ivy this year and so put feeders on to keep them busy while it rains.

I'm planning to change my floors to the same as yours for vaping at the bottom. I meant to do it this year after they filled my vape ekes last year with ivy honey! 😄
Somehow never got around to it but must make myself a note for a winter project. 🙂
Much easier, you don't even need to remove the roof to gain access, just pull out the plug and vape.

Ah ok I think you said you used to vape on top with an eke?
I'm going to go over to solid floors next year. Pros and cons for both but I think slightly tipped to solid.
How deep are your floors?

Ah ok I think you said you used to vape on top with an eke?
I do now. But all the floors have holes at the back too so I can vape out of season, so to speak, when inspections have finished. So that’s a check on infestation a month after autumn treatment and a winter vape if I do one.

Latest posts

Back