What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craft Market for us this weekend, my daughter has a little business, along with being a Welsh teacher in secondary, bringing up two children and a million other things on her plate. My retired husband is a Potter, so of we went with our honey and bee goodies in tow!!!! Weather dire but lots of lovely people came to chat about the bees. Flowers picked from my garden
That’s a really nice display, I hope you did well with the punters.

Craft Market for us this weekend, my daughter has a little business, along with being a Welsh teacher in secondary, bringing up two children and a million other things on her plate. My retired husband is a Potter, so of we went with our honey and bee goodies in tow!!!! Weather dire but lots of lovely people came to chat about the bees. Flowers picked from my garden
Lovely display. Must have taken a lot of energy to put it all together and to make the bee tree and bees.

Just spent an hour strimming around about 20 hives in the teaching apiary ready for a "Bee Health Day" on Wednesday. It got too hot to wear my jacket so took it off down to my T shirt and not one bee bothered me...... oh how I wish my bees were like that!

They're piling them up outside one of my hives.....very aggressively removing and keeping them out. It takes their attention from harassing me....the biggest and greediest drone they are forced to support. ;)

Marked the last of my 2023 queens. Have really enjoyed raising my own queens this year. Still have a flow on here at one of my sites. A colony upgraded last week onto double brood from a poly nuc 6/6 has filled the second box in a week, bias and stores. Had to order extra kit for them. Added a super today. Will be interesting to see if they shift all the nectar up a level.
IMG_8522.jpeg

Got the kids - 7 & 9 to help feed some of the smaller Colonies,
went up about 18.00 when bee's where a little less active.
retrieved a little scoop of honey from the strongest colony for there reward.

Had a look at mine today - didn't bother with the brood boxes in the full colonies. Plenty of bees, stuff coming in but they are not filling supers - put another super on one colony that has two supers nearly filled, added one to one that has one on it but the rest are not ready for a second super - not going to be great season in terms of honey crop but - it is what it is.

Checked a hive of stored brood frames and found a bit of waxmoth damage - not a lot - cut it out and gave them a dose of sulphur which will sort it out - don't like losing spare drawn frames - too valuable.

One good thing, the nuc with a bought in queen (BS Honey Bees) that really was not getting going ... started it in May and she's failed to lay more than a few inches square of brood, at each inspection. I added bees, added a frame of emerging brood, plenty of space to lay, plenty of bees. I was expecting more of the same today and was mentally planning what I was going to do ...Then - to my surprise - three full frames of wall to wall capped brood and eggs and larvae in another frame. Just shows that a bit of patience does sometimes pay off. It's an 8 frame modified Paynes poly nuc dummied down .. took out the dummy, added two drawn frames and an undrawn frame and I'll put a feeder on them tonight and give them a couple of litres - mainly to get them drawing some fresh comb and hopefully give them a full 8 frames to go at. I think this is one colony that might be overwintering in this 8 frame nuc... see how they go in a week or two - might put them in a full box if she keeps laying like this. I like surprises like this ...

Had a look in some supers today fearing the worst after 3 weeks of really bad weather. Pleasantly surprised to find most have added a little weight (but not much) Was fearing all my summer crop was going to be consumed but there's a decent amount on most. The balsam is starting to yeild now and is looking very healthy after all the recent rain. Not checked on the 5 or so virgins i'm waiting on but doubt they will be mated well (if atall)

Good evening,

This afternoon I grabbed a mug of tea and wandered down the garden to have a chat with the bees. We haven't spoken very much recently. I give them a nod as I go past them to see to the chickens. Sometimes I'll pause there to watch them for a minute or two - just to make sure they are okay. Occasionally one or two will come over to say hello and determine my intentions. I simply look away - and they fly off again, satisfied.

Today was slightly different. To begin with, I had noticed a few wasps buzzing around the hives and attempting to get inside, so I had a pleasant ten to fifteen minutes with a cut elastic band with a small knot on one end. The speed and force of the knot hitting the wasps from a fully stretched elastic band kills them stone dead instantly. It's also very selective and doesn't touch a bee that is a couple of inches away. (50 mm if you prefer.)

However, whilst I was surveying my recent black and yellow trophies, I noticed a large Queen Bee wandering on the ground in front of one hive.

I must point out that this is the first time that I've had an old queen wandering about in my garden!!!

Out of curiosity I carefully lifted the queen bee with a small scraper that was lying on a hive. I then put her on the alighting board of the nearest hive in order to observe the bee's reaction to her.

There was no sudden panic or balling. A couple of bees came over to her and started sniffing and stroking. Then, between them they simply picked up the queen and dropped on the ground her in front of the hive again.

Feeling sorry for the old girl, and also wanting to learn a little more about her, I invited her indoors to sit on some kitchen paper in a saucer on my desk. I gave her a wet cotton bud with some sugar crystals to see if queens could eat by them selves if they really needed to. Either they can't or this one wasn't in the mood.

After about an hour I wandered back to the hives to see if anything untoward was happening after the earlier discovery. The air around the second hive was thick with a swirling cloud of bees. As I watched, they began to land and a great number began fanning - calling in the others. After several minutes it was all over. There remained just half a dozen 'fan dancers' on the alighting board, calling in any stragglers.

I 'hefted' both of the active hives. Either the bees have been nicking lead off the local church or they have a good amount of stores in stock. They are also piling in the pollen, too. Some bright orange and some grey.

I expect I just missed seeing a virgin returning to the hive with her entourage - although hopefully she is now no longer a virgin! If only I'd wandered up the garden ten minutes earlier. . . . . . . .

I'll leave them alone for a few weeks before going to introduce myself to her ladyship.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.

Last edited:
Good evening,

This afternoon I grabbed a mug of tea and wandered down the garden to have a chat with the bees. We haven't spoken very much recently. I give them a nod as I go past them to see to the chickens. Sometimes I'll pause there to watch them for a minute or two - just to make sure they are okay. Occasionally one or two will come over to say hello and determine my intentions. I simply look away - and they fly off again, satisfied.

Today was slightly different. To begin with, I had noticed a few wasps buzzing around the hives and attempting to get inside, so I had a pleasant ten to fifteen minutes with a cut elastic band with a small knot on one end. The speed and force of the knot hitting the wasps from a fully stretched elastic band kills them stone dead instantly. It's also very selective and doesn't touch a bee that is a couple of inches away. (50 mm if you prefer.)

However, whilst I was surveying my recent black and yellow trophies, I noticed a large Queen Bee wandering on the ground in front of one hive.

I must point out that this is the first time that I've had an old queen wandering about in my garden!!!

Out of curiosity I carefully lifted the queen bee with a small scraper that was lying on a hive. I then put her on the alighting board of the nearest hive in order to observe the bee's reaction to her.

There was no sudden panic or balling. A couple of bees came over to her and started sniffing and stroking. Then, between them they simply picked up the queen and dropped on the ground her in front of the hive again.

Feeling sorry for the old girl, and also wanting to learn a little more about her, I invited her indoors to sit on some kitchen paper in a saucer on my desk. I gave her a wet cotton bud with some sugar crystals to see if queens could eat by them selves if they really needed to. Either they can't or this one wasn't in the mood.

After about an hour I wandered back to the hives to see if anything untoward was happening after the earlier discovery. The air around the second hive was thick with a swirling cloud of bees. As I watched, they began to land and a great number began fanning - calling in the others. After several minutes it was all over. There remained just half a dozen 'fan dancers' on the alighting board, calling in any stragglers.

I 'hefted' both of the active hives. Either the bees have been nicking lead off the local church or they have a good amount of stores in stock. They are also piling in the pollen, too. Some bright orange and some grey.

I expect I just missed seeing a virgin returning to the hive with her entourage - although hopefully she is now no longer a virgin! If only I'd wandered up the garden ten minutes earlier. . . . . . . .

I'll leave them alone for a few weeks before going to introduce myself to her ladyship.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.
Do you know how old the queen was Malcolm ?and what are your plans for her ,
John

Lol….. welcome to the real world, next time try it on a big colony that’s shall we say defensive and a miserable day😂

Oh yes, I've tried it on a nasty colony. I called them Flopsy. I kept them on the side of a friend's field as I didn't want them in my garden. One inspection I forgot the smoker. It didn't go well. :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:

Not quite in the apiary - but apiary related.
First full day at the Royal Welsh today, got there super early, tarried before going to the National Honey show, getting a full monty breakfast roll washed down by a mug of Murrough's Welsh brew tea and a chat with Mr Murrough junior; his father, the company founder was In Grammar school with my mother - still going strong at eighty years old same as mam (both born the first week of January 1943, Mam on New years day and him on the sixth) and running the main stall at the food hall.
Arrived at the Honey show to be greeted by congratulations - apparently this year I'm the joint winner of the Henry Ferguson Thomas Memorial crystal for gaining the highest number of points in the open classes, and Dorian Death (who donates the crystal) has arranged we get a crystal each to take home!!
I was also surprised to find I'd got first for my wax cake again (third time now) as I didn't think it was by best offering so my name is once again on the EJ Tanner memorial silver rosebowl.
card.jpgcup.jpg
Got first for the light honey and two of the classes of cut comb honey then a selection of seconds and thirds for heather honey, soft set heather mix, moulded candles and the composite class.
Oh, and gave the usual interview for the S4C evening Royal Welsh Show roundup

Not quite in the apiary - but apiary related.
First full day at the Royal Welsh today, got there super early, tarried before going to the National Honey show, getting a full monty breakfast roll washed down by a mug of Murrough's Welsh brew tea and a chat with Mr Murrough junior; his father, the company founder was In Grammar school with my mother - still going strong at eighty years old same as mam (both born the first week of January 1943, Mam on New years day and him on the sixth) and running the main stall at the food hall.
Arrived at the Honey show to be greeted by congratulations - apparently this year I'm the joint winner of the Henry Ferguson Thomas Memorial crystal for gaining the highest number of points in the open classes, and Dorian Death (who donates the crystal) has arranged we get a crystal each to take home!!
I was also surprised to find I'd got first for my wax cake again (third time now) as I didn't think it was by best offering so my name is once again on the EJ Tanner memorial silver rosebowl.
View attachment 37099View attachment 37100
Got first for the light honey and two of the classes of cut comb honey then a selection of seconds and thirds for heather honey, soft set heather mix, moulded candles and the composite class.
Oh, and gave the usual interview for the S4C evening Royal Welsh Show roundup
A very hearty congratulations to you Sir ,I'm sure a lot of hard work went into your submissions and you should be justifiably proud .
Are you giving a lecture at the national honey show ?
John.

Latest posts

Back