What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped the lids on some of mine today, bees look in great shape with lots of bees in the supers but unfortunately no honey, if the weather could just sort itself out there would be a great flow on but there's absolutely no sign of an improvement,in fact it's looks like getting even worse if anything. Looks like i'll be relying on the balsam to save the season which is never a good place to be.:mad:

Late inspecting due to the weather. Saw all 5 queens. Looking lovely and all laying really well.
🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝

Attachments

• 20230719_125431.jpg
    20230719_125431.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_125706.jpg
    20230719_125706.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_130046.jpg
    20230719_130046.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_130221.jpg
    20230719_130221.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_130309.jpg
    20230719_130309.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 0
I am wondering if I make the opportunity to have a hive, or two, back in my garden, but in my shed. But, it does get warm in there, and I’m wondering if anyone has any idea of how warm is too warm to keep a hive indoors? I know it’s warm across Europe atm, I don’t think my shed gets above 40, so does anyone have any ideas of what problems I might face?

Bees are great at their own thermoregulation, after all, bees are kept in much hotter countries.
What will you do to prevent a shed full of flying bees during inspections?
Why do you want to have them in the shed, it is not that you live " up north "?

I am wondering if I make the opportunity to have a hive, or two, back in my garden, but in my shed. But, it does get warm in there, and I’m wondering if anyone has any idea of how warm is too warm to keep a hive indoors? I know it’s warm across Europe atm, I don’t think my shed gets above 40, so does anyone have any ideas of what problems I might face?
Think of them as Slovenian AZ hives.

How would this work…how do you inspect the bees?

Presume you’d need some sort of entrance tunnel through the shed wall?

Collected more shallows to extract. At least one is now leaking and there was also a whoops with the car windows when inspecting one site...

View attachment 20230720_142113.mp4

Makes it interesting to make them leave when they've waggle danced the location to the rest of the hive...

Collected more shallows to extract. At least one is now leaking and there was also a whoops with the car windows when inspecting one site...

View attachment 37021

Makes it interesting to make them leave when they've waggle danced the location to the rest of the hive...
A neighbour of mine last year left the garage door open after leaving frames ready to extract, but were exposed and not covered. I get a call "How do I sort this out"? I had to go over and shake every frame free of bees and then quickly cover them up.

First sign of wasps in the Garden today. They are really small compared to last year!!! One cheeky wasp fancied his chances by going into the hive, he was soon dragged off the landing board and onto the grass, I did step in and save my bee of course

First sign of wasps in the Garden today. They are really small compared to last year!!! One cheeky wasp fancied his chances by going into the hive, he was soon dragged off the landing board and onto the grass, I did step in and save my bee of course
I’ve noticed the same, but they’re starting to sniff around the hives. Will be reducing entrances soon.

View attachment 37021

However did you sort that out?

Latest posts

Back