What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I've got a friend with some land by the river and about a mile from the heather. I grew up in Bordon. I presume you knew Pete the FEO?
Small world. I think we may have discussed this before😃 I worked in Whitehill.

quick inspection - new colonies laying nicely, checked my hive that has supers on but not capped yet so contemplating leaving the supers on until week after next as that will be next chance to Harvest. mostly looked at the sky and hoped for a little rain, bramble just coming into flower now, would be really great to get a few supers this year after a miserable last season, Upside thanks to a few swarms back up to 6 colonies, might make a couple of splits if we get a good late flow.

Bees are working overtime. Can’t extract and return the supers quickly enough. Had to split another colony, hopefully the last one as have run out of kit. Two more new queens mated and laying nicely.

The hive where earlier in the week we removed some pollen bound frames, reversed brood boxes and put some foundation in the top BB is looking nice and balanced now. Have already taken two supers off this one and put them back on (4 supers now) need more storage space already. Plan to give them a deep with foundation and so we hopefully get some nice drawn comb for use in the future after extracting. Need to take out some pollen bound frames on another hive and give them some foundation to draw and the queen to lay in. This one is also on 4 supers, of which 2 have been extracted and returned. Need another super adding this week. Busy times 😁.

That's going to be an awkward swelling to explain away...

James
If the sting was slightly to the left the swelling might be useful - just take away the pain!
(7.5 on Michael Smith’s pain map) 🤣

Went to the apiary to simply collect a nuc and discovered i’d left the door closed on an apidea after taking them up on Friday, checked inside and all all ok so opened them up, only noticed by chance as they are in a wooded area not the main apiary.

I then discovered one of my apideas has absconded into a nuc which had one frame of comb lying in a corner of the field, sat it on a slab and gave it some fondant.

Then I decided to clear some grass around the hives and found one like this:
55F148A2-2ADA-44DF-A206-75522EE018A9.jpeg
That’s an underfloor entrance so it was really packed with bees. It’s a really strong hive on double brood, no queen cells so we think they are just bearding in this heat! I did check inside but had no smoker or water spray, they were fine for a bit but weren’t too keen on my disturbing them after a while. I’ll go up today and remove some honey bound brood frames.

Inspection today of home apiary AND my wedding tackle!!
Stung on the right testicle (if there is a right testicle to be stung on).
I really will have to buy that new bee suit.
Having also been stung in the same place I can sympathise!……..I would suggest you return home fast and show off before the swelling subsides😉

Having also been stung in the same place I can sympathise!……..I would suggest you return home fast and show off before the swelling subsides😉

maybe ask the other half to suck the venom out?

He’s married I believe, he may have more luck if he asks the girl friend😉

or the ****

Noone to show any interest in my wedding tackle, I'm afraid, female or ****.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
There's redness btw. "Perfectly normal for one to be larger than the other"
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Remember to check your assets regularly
MyOddBalls.jpg

:LOL:
. . . . Ben

Inspection today of home apiary AND my wedding tackle!!
Stung on the right testicle (if there is a right testicle to be stung on).
I really will have to buy that new bee suit.
My wife tells me a story of when this happened to her father, knowing him he was probably tackling a swarm in his underwear, but at any rate he never used to wear a full suit. Apparently he came running in to the Kitchen dropped all the clothing on his lower half and demanded that his wife pull out the sting. I think she obliged after her fit of laughter had subsided.

Checked the colonies, put clearer board under two supers on one hive, found brood in a colony which had a queen introduced recently 🤗 and a swarm now drawing comb in the super recently fitted.
Finally came back and found the younger pooch keeping my chair warm …….
5346D1A5-E6E4-4312-9249-F4EE8F71F14B.jpeg

Put a ‘brood box’ with foundation above the QE on the biggest hive. Couple of foundationless frames in there as well hopefully for chunk honey. Have already extracted and replaced two supers on the hive but still had to lift the 4 supers off one by one. Put another brood chamber on a nuc that is requeening as with a quick peek it was being filled with stores. My wife secured a new apiary site about 25 mins out of London the other day so are planning nucs to move there in a few weeks. Will deffo need that queen @Ian123 👸

Bait hive in the Lucky spot did it again.... 4th time this year - warm sunny corner of the garden.
Quick inspection on the bumper hive, supers still not capped added another for insurance as I will be away for a week,
and it finally RAINED !!!

Latest posts

Back