What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to read up a bit more on varroa lifecycles, the mite has to remain 'phoretic' for three or four days before jumping into another cell. hence the second and third treatments on day 5 and 10 which makes their full brood/treatment cycle different from the bees.
Yes i understand that. I was trying to keep simple for a beginner, so they understood why vaping in august wasn't as simple as they thought, which was the root of his question

Finished the stands and spread some hardcore around to level the area, it's a very nice spot. It showed 3 degrees when I left the house but it was like the first day of Spring at the apiary, what a gorgeous day.
All I have to do now is move the colonies but today I took some time out in the sun to watch the bees.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dnu19pshfaj32g/Amm daughter.mp4?dl=0

Not in the apiary but an afternoon in a cold shed making foundation with the mould. Perfect when it's cold as the wax cools fairly quickly so you can crack on. 20 sheets done for brood so get it wired in the next couple of days ready for any combs ready to be replaced in the spring

Attachments

• IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
Not in the apiary but an afternoon in a cold shed making foundation with the mould. Perfect when it's cold as the wax cools fairly quickly so you can crack on. 20 sheets done for brood so get it wired in the next couple of days ready for any combs ready to be replaced in the spring

I've heard that foundation made this way can be quite brittle. Do you find that to be the case and if so does it present any particular problems? I'm quite tempted to try making some myself.

James

Obviously in this weather it is brittle when it cools but I make it now, store it flat and don't do any fitting until spring when it is a lot warmer without a problem, It's my own home made foundation press - have been using one for about 5 years now, Silicone based.

Attachments

• IMG_3748.JPG
    IMG_3748.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
For tomorrow is prognosis: sun, cloud, rain and snow - somehow I am in belief they won't miss the prognosis ( all options are covered).. 🤪
Anyway.. so far dry, continued with low plus day temps and small minus night temps..

Do you happen to have the dimensions if the box? I want to make one with the kids.
Even if you don't get an owl, you might be lucky and get a mandarin duck!

See video link to watch the chicks leaving (quite a large file)! Camera's in the box this year if they come back.

mandarins leaving the nest.mp4

Simon

mandarin.JPG

Last edited:
Checked the fondant they are munching their way through it!!!

Attachments

• 20220121_114607.jpg
    20220121_114607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Sort of apiary work, took delivery of my pre price rise delivery of jars and supervised them being forklifted on to their storage rack until they're needed. They never warned me it was on it's way so lucky it didn't arrive on a Tuesday as it's Tanya the ace forklift driver's day off!!

Checked the fondant they are munching their way through it!!!

I’ve got a similar feeding setup to you, except everything is above the crown board rather than directly on the frames. I’d rather have done it like you have but I wasn’t sure it would be ok to put the insulation straight on to the frames….don’t they stick it down with propolis?

Edit: I’ve just had another look at your pic…looks like yours is above the crown board too…🙃

Latest posts

Back