What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time this year stopped by plod to check my journey was "essential"...... showed them the bee fondant!

I've not heard of anyone round here being stopped. Did they flag you down or set up a road block etc? Fortunately my Berlingo is my mobile bee equipment shed.

Our holly bush flowers in May IIRC just after the crab apple. Are you sure it's holly pollen?
Yes, I have analysed the pollen under microscope and had my results confirmed by paldat.org

Page 19 of Febs Beecraft mentions" if its been snowing light can be reflected through entrance causing bees to fly out and die of cold" ...... not sure what to make of that
Another beekeeping myth

Personally, I rather think that's another beekeeping myth ... bees are not that stupid. I suspect that someone offered this explanation when there were dead bees more noticeable on the landing board when the undertakers had been at work ...
:iagree: ;)
The sun may bring them out but I think the snow reflecting the sunlight into the hive is a myth ... I've watched bees at the entrance in very cold weather ... they don't fly straight out ... they wander about a bit in the shelter of the entrance and then take off .. if they don't like what they see - they go back inside. Are you trying to tell us that bees fly out, do their business, make it back to the hive and die on the landing board - or are you saying they take off and die instantly and drop dead in front of the hive ?

Both ideas are Lala land as far as I'm concerned. More perpetuated myths.

I think dead bees outside in cold weather are dead or dying and thrown out.
:yeahthat:
I was taught.. if snow blocking entrance .. leave it there.. Not a problem as long as they have fondant. If snow cleared, then with sunlight strong, bees will venture out to inviting weather. hit the cold and fall. .
I was taught.............................. that it was all just a load of made up nonsense - from the usual culprits

I've not heard of anyone round here being stopped. Did they flag you down or set up a road block etc? Fortunately my Berlingo is my mobile bee equipment shed.
Plod was stopping all vehicles going up to a local dogging site... or should that be dog walking site?
Bit of a beauty spot with panoramic scenic vistas towards Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor and Plymouth sound and attracts people who are not making an essential journey for miles around..... but from the apiary site everything was under a deep layer of cloud!!

Mild weather today (a change from the snow we had a couple of days ago that brought traffic chaos) and bees are flying (washing also out so expect trouble for the other half when she sees the yellow spots . They are obviously eating the stores as quite a pile of white/pale yellow cappings dropping through the mesh floors. Was hefting the garden hives and nucs to check the weights when I got the call regarding a covid jab (for next thursday ). At last a dubious benefit for being over 70!

Page 19 of Febs Beecraft mentions" if its been snowing light can be reflected through entrance causing bees to fly out and die of cold" ...... not sure what to make of that
Agree with @pargyle re a myth. We've had 6 dumps of snow since Jan & sunny days following, no bees flying out & dying afterwards. I remember as a beginner reading about bees dying in snow & placing planks of wood in front of the entrance to shade. Don't bother now I'm a bit wiser :)

Cold & murky, here today, still snow on the ground. Fresh dump forecast for the weekend. Visited my bees across the 3 sites, hefted, weighed, peeked through glass crown boards & looked at varroa trays. All are brood rearing but small amounts. Still ok for stores. All present and correct including Nucs. About a third looking strong, large colonies visible on all frames; about a 1/3rd on 6-7 frames & a 1/3rd smaller on c 4-5 frames. Correlates to varroa drops in late summer pre treatment.

Plod was stopping all vehicles going up to a local dogging site... or should that be dog walking site?
Bit of a beauty spot with panoramic scenic vistas towards Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor and Plymouth sound and attracts people who are not making an essential journey for miles around..... but from the apiary site everything was under a deep layer of cloud!!
Yesterday heard from an old colleague that a lady travelling 8 miles to a supermarket was fined £300 for not going to her nearest supermarket. Sadly this was an NHS worker who had just finished a long shift.

Yesterday heard from an old colleague that a lady travelling 8 miles to a supermarket was fined £300 for not going to her nearest supermarket. Sadly this was an NHS worker who had just finished a long shift.
REALLY... in the true SPIRIT of the Law?

Mild weather today (a change from the snow we had a couple of days ago that brought traffic chaos) and bees are flying (washing also out so expect trouble for the other half when she sees the yellow spots . They are obviously eating the stores as quite a pile of white/pale yellow cappings dropping through the mesh floors. Was hefting the garden hives and nucs to check the weights when I got the call regarding a covid jab (for next thursday ). At last a dubious benefit for being over 70!
Yes, mine are cracking open the ivy stores. Hate the smell of ivy!

Checked the girls for stores this morning as a spell of cold weather on the way. Might even get a light dusting of snow on the coast apparently.
They are all happily bumbling around under their quilt and still plenty of fondant. Hive still feels a good weight so super of stores not yet depleted.

Attachments

• IMG_7301.jpg
    IMG_7301.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
REALLY... in the true SPIRIT of the Law?
I keep hearing all these stories about heavy handed police behaviour but I work for the Police and the instructions are that Fixed Penalties are only issued when there is a flagrant breach of the lockdown regulations that are enshrined now in law... Unfortunately, what is reported is very often not the whole truth of the situation. There was a piece on social media about a bloke who was handcuffed and marched off to the Police station for not wearing a mask in a supermarket ... there was much more to the situation than social media was saying ... he was arrested for a variety of other offences ... and the supermarket in question could not deal with the situation and called the Police - but that's not what gets hits on Social media is it ?

I keep hearing all these stories about heavy handed police behaviour but I work for the Police and the instructions are that Fixed Penalties are only issued when there is a flagrant breach of the lockdown regulations that are enshrined now in law... Unfortunately, what is reported is very often not the whole truth of the situation. There was a piece on social media about a bloke who was handcuffed and marched off to the Police station for not wearing a mask in a supermarket ... there was much more to the situation than social media was saying ... he was arrested for a variety of other offences ... and the supermarket in question could not deal with the situation and called the Police - but that's not what gets hits on Social media is it ?
We hear of these things... probably journalistic sensationalism or merely fake news.
The Lady PSCO with the "team of officers" did say to me that they had quite a few doggers traveling 25 plus miles to walk their cockerpoo pooches!

When I got to the bees they did not need any more fondant anyway!

Chons da

We hear of these things... probably journalistic sensationalism or merely fake news.
The Lady PSCO with the "team of officers" did say to me that they had quite a few doggers traveling 25 plus miles to walk their cockerpoo pooches!

When I got to the bees they did not need any more fondant anyway!

Chons da
Yes ... someone I know locslly drove to the New Forest from here ... 25 miles or so ...because the dog needed a walk and they felt it needed a change of scenery ... just extracting the urine as far as I am concerned. They did not get picked up by the police and got away with it ... I heard through a mutual friend who was equally appalled. Shows little concern for anyone else ...

Yes ... someone I know locslly drove to the New Forest from here ... 25 miles or so ...because the dog needed a walk and they felt it needed a change of scenery ... just extracting the urine as far as I am concerned. They did not get picked up by the police and got away with it ... I heard through a mutual friend who was equally appalled. Shows little concern for anyone else ...
Yep - was dropping a couple of cases of honey off at the Black Mountain community shop In Brynaman this morning (got to make sure they are well stocked or I'll get a telephone rollicking from my aunty Evelyn who gets all my honey from there) and what went past was a vehicle, bicycle strapped to the roof rack heading for the Black Mountain cattle grid to partake in their daily exercise. Notwithstanding that the Mountain is officially closed to all but through traffic and commoners, if they are that keen on exercise, why not bloody cycle there? they're happy enough to take over the roads when it suits them!!

Still cold and wet. Last time bees were out was early Dec. I remember years I’ve seen pollen coming in Jan, not this year...

Latest posts

Back