What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry hit “like” instead of reply.
I don’t think they are failing at all, neither the “flyers” or the “non flyers” - just showing very different characteristics.
Well, let us know how you get on with this colony.

Watched the bees busily flying from both hives and nuc. I know they're not out of the woods yet (plenty of winter and early spring still to get through) but it is still really reassuring to see them busily flying again 😀

Yeah feels good to see them !

I just wanted to check a nuc with a late 2020 queen, they had a frame of eggs on 7th August, she was laying a nice pattern at the beginning of September. They are in a double brood and had enough stores but as I had brought some warm fondant with me and they all looked so lovely, I popped it on for them as a treat (gorgeous little black bees).
Lots of activity from the other colonies.

Noticed a lot of white cappings under the hive today for the 1st time in a while. Hive resting on very dark footings so can really see the brighter colored debris. Been consistently brood cappings mostly I’ve noticed under the floor, but today a thick dusting of white (stores I guess) cappings.🤔 I guess moved to consuming more stores now? Prob need to think about some fondant?

Popped out in between meetings to have a look at the apiary. 5 out of 5 still alive one had devoured their fondant patty that I put on beginning of the year. The others are about half way through theirs.

Hefted the hives and to my mind they feel a little light.

My next chance to go up is Thursday so I'm now debating with myself do I put just fondant or add a pack of apipasta as well since they're busy bringing in a bit of pollen as well.

I just wanted to check a nuc with a late 2020 queen, they had a frame of eggs on 7th August, she was laying a nice pattern at the beginning of September. They are in a double brood and had enough stores but as I had brought some warm fondant with me and they all looked so lovely, I popped it on for them as a treat (gorgeous little black bees).
You old softie🤗👍

I was taught.. if snow blocking entrance .. leave it there.. Not a problem as long as they have fondant. If snow cleared, then with sunlight strong, bees will venture out to inviting weather. hit the cold and fall. .
Yes ... that was what I was 'taught' .. but I've come to the conclusion that it's a myth ...

Maybe the bees were good "British" stock, with a stiff upper lip..

"I'm going outside now. I may be gone some time..."
Ha ha, remember going to a fancy dress (Murder weekend) Theme 'British traditions'...as 'Stiff upper lip'.. wore a shroud (don't ask) and held a lily.. and had huge cardboard red lips on my head! First prize!

(gorgeous little black bees).
Hi Swarm, .
I see quite a few references to on this forum about "Black Bees" do you perhaps have any pics as I would like to compare them to what we call black bees this side of the world.

See attached pic of a typical black worker bee and drone

Attachments

• feb 3 black.jpg
    feb 3 black.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 29
  • cropped blk drone.jpg
    cropped blk drone.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 23
I can't make out the thorax hair in your photo, ours are a sort of sable brown. Black tergites with narrow tomenta.
These are examples, plus the avatar.

Attachments

• native 01.jpg
    native 01.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 32
  • native nuc.jpg
    native nuc.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 31
I can't make out the thorax hair in your photo, ours are a sort of sable brown. Black tergites with narrow tomenta.
These are examples, plus the avatar.
Thanks for reply Swarm / Steve.
Do you find the darker colonies tougher or better honey producers than the usual or typical bloodlines?

Here, I find them masters at drawing comb and the ability to explode is size fast.... Really hard workers, when other colonies are bringing in yellow pollen from thorn trees near bye, they are bring in bright red from who knows where.... My point being - always very busy bees..
Honey production I would say is also up, BUT, it would seem that they also use up more that others. (If that makes sense) During tough times, they get lite fast...

Once again, thanks for the pics..

Locally adapted? These are our native bees, the typical bees we see unless queens or bees are bought in. A nice, hardy bee that doesn't over stretch itself and end up eating itself out of house and home, they do find an excellent variety of pollen too. Brood combs always contain a decent amount of stores, none of these frames of solid brood. They are frugal, my colonies all had around 15 litres of invert by the end of October, they've had no fondant added (apart from the nuc that didn't really need it) and they were all feeling heavy, still.
They are able to provide a honey crop even in bad years like 2020.

Attachments

• full frame.jpg
    full frame.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 30
  • native 02.jpg
    native 02.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 31
Locally adapted? These are our native bees, the typical bees we see unless queens or bees are bought in. A nice, hardy bee that doesn't over stretch itself and end up eating itself out of house and home, they do find an excellent variety of pollen too. Brood combs always contain a decent amount of stores, none of these frames of solid brood. They are frugal, my colonies all had around 15 litres of invert by the end of October, they've had no fondant added (apart from the nuc that didn't really need it) and they were all feeling heavy, still.
They are able to provide a honey crop even in bad years like 2020.
My avatar is a (DNA tested 90+%) Cornish variant Amm
Amm
in mitochondrial (M group)
Colony samples sent to Swiss Lab ( Apigenix) and Rosylin (Dick Institute) Edinburgh.

The Mickey Es' South African bees look a lot darker... more like the Northumbrian variant Amm... would like to see a DNA analyses on them!

Chons da

My avatar is a (DNA tested 90+%) Cornish variant Amm
Amm
in mitochondrial (M group)
Colony samples sent to Swiss Lab ( Apigenix) and Rosylin (Dick Institute) Edinburgh.

The Mickey Es' South African bees look a lot darker... more like the Northumbrian variant Amm... would like to see a DNA analyses on them!

Chons da
Have been meaning to collect a sample for a Cape Town University, they are wanting to do various tests to check for any genetic variances if any...
Several pics have been sent to a local professor there, Ive been told that what I have is much darker than what they have seen in the past...

If/when I get around to this I will ensure I get copies and will gladly share them as well as any results with you...
Really need to pull my finger out and get this done...

Checked out my allotment bees yesterday. They were very much out and about, with some pollen being brought in! I decided to feed two colonies. The others were fine, with plenty of stores.

First time this year stopped by plod to check my journey was "essential"...... showed them the bee fondant!

Latest posts

Back