What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Page 19 of Febs Beecraft mentions" if its been snowing light can be reflected through entrance causing bees to fly out and die of cold" ...... not sure what to make of that
Personally, I rather think that's another beekeeping myth ... bees are not that stupid. I suspect that someone offered this explanation when there were dead bees more noticeable on the landing board when the undertakers had been at work ...

Personally, I rather think that's another beekeeping myth ... bees are not that stupid. I suspect that someone offered this explanation when there were dead bees more noticeable on the landing board when the undertakers had been at work ...
I have seen bees dead in the snow after cleansing flights. Sunlight brings them out and it may only be what usually happens anyway, but the snow shows it up.

I have seen bees dead in the snow after cleansing flights. Sunlight brings them out and it may only be what usually happens anyway, but the snow shows it up.
The sun may bring them out but I think the snow reflecting the sunlight into the hive is a myth ... I've watched bees at the entrance in very cold weather ... they don't fly straight out ... they wander about a bit in the shelter of the entrance and then take off .. if they don't like what they see - they go back inside. Are you trying to tell us that bees fly out, do their business, make it back to the hive and die on the landing board - or are you saying they take off and die instantly and drop dead in front of the hive ?

Both ideas are Lala land as far as I'm concerned. More perpetuated myths.

I think dead bees outside in cold weather are dead or dying and thrown out.

I have seen a few occasions where a sudden heavy downpour of rain has caught a few stragglers but it would have to be significantly below freezing to cause the sort of instant deaths you are suggesting ... and we are not in the arctic wastes of Canada or Finland ... and if we were ... I very much doubt the bees would break cluster if it were that cold.

I reckon Finnie could throw some sunlight on this ... lets hope there's some reflected through his window from the snow outside and he wakes up ...

The sun may bring them out but I think the snow reflecting the sunlight into the hive is a myth ... I've watched bees at the entrance in very cold weather ... they don't fly straight out ... they wander about a bit in the shelter of the entrance and then take off .. if they don't like what they see - they go back inside. Are you trying to tell us that bees fly out, do their business, make it back to the hive and die on the landing board - or are you saying they take off and die instantly and drop dead in front of the hive ?

Both ideas are Lala land as far as I'm concerned. More perpetuated myths.

I think dead bees outside in cold weather are dead or dying and thrown out.

I have seen a few occasions where a sudden heavy downpour of rain has caught a few stragglers but it would have to be significantly below freezing to cause the sort of instant deaths you are suggesting ... and we are not in the arctic wastes of Canada or Finland ... and if we were ... I very much doubt the bees would break cluster if it were that cold.

I reckon Finnie could throw some sunlight on this ... lets hope there's some reflected through his window from the snow outside and he wakes up ...

I think I'm sitting on the side of urban myth too. As soon as they are near their entrance they are going to get an idea of the temp.

Did you witness the bees flying and dying outside the hive or are they corpses removed and dumped by undertakers? I don't think that is an excessive drop if it is the latter

Saw a few fly out and land in the snow, then struggle. My poly hive has much less death outside

Some bees sat happily at door others went for we flights made it back in, others failed to land at door and fall to ground and struggle/die others fly out, land then die or chill. My poly hive which has a better landing board thing has much less death outside

Not snow related, but on a similar theme....

This Winter I have a colony which has been light on stores, but reluctant to take syrup in September and then fondant since. I clad this hive in celotex as it was all cedar. This colony has flown more than any other through the Winter, even in temperatures just above freezing when all the others have no action going on.
I have wondered if the cladding, which allows the hive temperature to be maintained more easily has “conned” the bees into needless activity.
They have never really shown a tight cluster from their debris either, whilst all others have.
The number of dead bees outside this hive has been negligible whilst right next door at a poly brood topped hive there has been several severe “muck outs“ of the dead.
Are the flying bees dying away from the hive whilst the non flying neighbours are dying inside?

This Winter I have a colony which has been light on stores, but reluctant to take syrup in September and then fondant since. I clad this hive in celotex as it was all cedar. This colony has flown more than any other through the Winter, even in temperatures just above freezing when all the others have no action going on.
I have wondered if the cladding, which allows the hive temperature to be maintained more easily has “conned” the bees into needless activity.
They have never really shown a tight cluster from their debris either, whilst all others have.
The number of dead bees outside this hive has been negligible whilst right next door at a poly brood topped hive there has been several severe “muck outs“ of the dead.
Are the flying bees dying away from the hive whilst the non flying neighbours are dying inside?
Active bees in a well insulated hive use less stores than in a “colder” hive so relax. I over winter three sorts of boxes with similar bees inside each. The poly and insulated wood are more active and I often have to pull store frames out in spring. The wooden hives often need a top up in late February if the weather keeps them off any forage available.

We all know that if it is very cold the bees don't fly. However, it is not always that cold when there is snow on the ground and feces in the snow tells the story. Are you writing a book too then?

Sounds like you have a failing colony there. Perhaps nosema.

I was taught.. if snow blocking entrance .. leave it there.. Not a problem as long as they have fondant. If snow cleared, then with sunlight strong, bees will venture out to inviting weather. hit the cold and fall. .

Sounds like you have a failing colony there. Perhaps nosema.
Sorry hit “like” instead of reply.
I don’t think they are failing at all, neither the “flyers” or the “non flyers” - just showing very different characteristics.

Active bees in a well insulated hive use less stores than in a “colder” hive so relax. I over winter three sorts of boxes with similar bees inside each. The poly and insulated wood are more active and I often have to pull store frames out in spring. The wooden hives often need a top up in late February if the weather keeps them off any forage available.
To me, it’s counter intuitive that they are more active in a well insulated hive and thus use LESS stores!
Thanks for your reassurance👍

To me, it’s counter intuitive that they are more active in a well insulated hive and thus use LESS stores!
Thanks for your reassurance👍
It’s true. Look at it this way, it takes more energy to stay alive in a cold hive than it takes to stay active in a warm one.
Ask Derek 😉

Watched the bees busily flying from both hives and nuc. I know they're not out of the woods yet (plenty of winter and early spring still to get through) but it is still really reassuring to see them busily flying again 😀

Latest posts

Back