What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked my stack of brood comb that I sprayed with Dipel...... no sign of any wax moth. 😀

Checked nadired supers on two colonies. Both as clean as a whistle so removed them.

Weighed my hives. All of them have gained ~0.5kg in a week! Light-coloured pollen coming in by the bucket-load.
Edit: It's mustard

Last edited:
Too Hot to do anything... 39 deg C....
Everyone has supers (Im told) BUT somehow I have run out of frames????
This is what happens when you steel one here and one there for trap and/or bait hives... Of course Im too blame....
Wont talk about the broken ones I toss to one side....

It's terrible when your kids grow up and you have no one else to blame.....:rolleyes:

Last swarm caught today.... No more free boxes. :D:D:D
IMG-20201113-WA0003.jpg

Good drop on the colony I OA dribbled on Wednesday 200+

Checked the Brummie bees over the last few days. They are still flying, with loads of pollen coming in. Its mainly Ivy I think. The hives are very heavy, as I left a lot of the late-crop honey with them. I have not been down to the farm apiary for a few weeks due to all the usual 'difficulties', but I will do this week.

Nothing.
I need to make 5 boxes a day and 50 frames to stay on target through winter.

Just checked up on newly caught swarm.
I'm always amazed at how hard these girls work....
3 days in and they have already cut the elastic bands holding salvaged comb and busy with house keeping....
I often see the bands laying on the floor but was chuffed to catch this and share with you Island folk...

Attachments

• VID-20201116-WA0007.mp4
    8 MB
I have some here over ten years old, still going strong - the only thing wrong with one is that the tab broke on the zip. I suppose it depends on whether you bought cheap in the first place

I repaired tabs on my cheap suit with soft electrical wire.. lasted years..

After all the rain I checked to see how well the newly dug drainage ditches were working. Brilliant, no longer splashing in water when walking round the hives.

3 days in and they have already cut the elastic bands holding salvaged comb and busy with house keeping....
I often see the bands laying on the floor but was chuffed to catch this and share with you Island folk...
Brilliant video, thanks

The teamwork is fantastic, if only the human race could learn from them the world would bee a better place!
Thanks for posting here.

Did a quick heft .. all feeling quite heavy now ..still can't find my heavy duty scale I can'f for the life of me remember where I left it ... must have put it somewhere really obscure ... really want to put a scale on them when they are done with the feeders. Two colonies are still guzzling it down - the rest have now slowed up and I'll take the feeders off and check weigh. Mostly looking really strong through the crownboards - one seems to be a little quieter and I might risk a quick look if we get a warm afternoon this week ... still about 13 degrees here today but damp and dank and none flying - can't say that I blame them. Photos from the top of the two colonies still taking syrup down.Feeder 1.jpgfeeder 2.jpgFeeder 1.jpgfeeder 2.jpg

Last edited:
Moved two hives to a new apiary site.

AMM’s in the nuc are strong and doing well. Local mongrels in the wooden hive seem weaker than I’d like having survived suspected CBPV, however hopefully they’ll pull through the winter ahead.

Andrew.

3C5F04FF-A62B-4120-BCEA-265A79C9352A.jpeg

Another swarm today. 6th swarm on same property!
10 frame box with only 3 frames in.... I ran out.... Bad management I think!
Cut strips of ply and lay on top hoping that if they build, i can at least salvage/save comb...
Have done this before,,,, what a mess!

Attachments

• swarm 6 tranquil.jpg
    swarm 6 tranquil.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 25
  • swarm 6 tranquil2.jpg
    swarm 6 tranquil2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
Another swarm today. 6th swarm on same property!
10 frame box with only 3 frames in.... I ran out.... Bad management I think!
Cut strips of ply and lay on top hoping that if they build, i can at least salvage/save comb...
Have done this before,,,, what a mess!
Morning Michael
Keep it up
Love hearing about your bees
We can all have a vicarious experience while ours are buzzing away in slumber during the winter

Morning Michael
Keep it up
Love hearing about your bees
We can all have a vicarious experience while ours are buzzing away in slumber during the winter
Will try,,,, when and If I get the time....
Was expecting a comment on the missing wall...... New cutout or something along those lines....
FYI, it fell over last week. ??? Open plan...
Hopefully the rest goes and saves me the job of breaking it down...
Plenty of swarms in this roof over the years...

Latest posts

Back