What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last hive of the three put into winter mode: both supers nadired, fondant on the top frames, eke and quilt, then 50mm of insulation board and roof. Considering mouse guard.

Hold fire, Manek..I had to widen all entrances yesterday as such a flow on from the ivy. I initially thought the first hive was swarming (but not logical) as thousands of bees all over the front entrance... then saw other 8 were similar. Phew!
Maybe monitor weather/temp/ forage and when near end of Oct consider shut down preparations. A mouseguard will knock pollen off and cause a slowdown of nectar input as they queue! IMO;)

Last hive of the three put into winter mode: both supers nadired, fondant on the top frames, eke and quilt, then 50mm of insulation board and roof. Considering mouse guard.
Have you seen these? I'm banging a few panel pins in my entrances.
IMG_20201001_135334.jpg
This is in Octobers bbka magazine.
Pretty clever idea I think. I've not used mouse guards before.
Good job I noticed it because it lite the fire last night.

View attachment 22364
That what I used to do once.

I’ve never had mice in any if my hives.
No I haven't either, and I don't use MGs
But I have to worry some times when theres shrew and mice poo on the inspection boards.. It almost makes you fifty five.

View attachment 22364
Pretty bloody pointless putting insulation in the roof if you leave the vent holes open
Ahh ... I thought you were talking about lighting the fire with the BBKA news !
Well it's a bit to glossy to use as toilet paper.

Due to late heather and being busy I’ve still not put in varoa stripes. Is it too late now. Cheers 🦡

Due to late heather and being busy I’ve still not put in varoa stripes. Is it too late now. Cheers 🦡

Better late than never but yes well over due.

What are you using? Some treatments require higher average daily temperatures than others so may not be suitable.

Rain stops at last and they’re out drinking on the landing boards and around the garden. Diluting the fondant for storage I guess.

Attachments

• 5BCFFBE4-6027-4361-B81D-914829145448.jpeg
    5BCFFBE4-6027-4361-B81D-914829145448.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 8
[/QUOTE]
Transplanted ten borage plants from various places where they have self seeded in the garden, in the hopes bees will find them when they are concentrated in one place rather than scattered about in various locations.

Watched from the shelter of the greenhouse as drones and drone larvae were systematically evicted from the hive into the heavy rain. It’s a cruel world.

Too wet to do much with the bees today so rendered and filtered 3.5Kg of this year's capping wax and scrapings. Managed not to destroy her range cooker. Moved all the tubs of honey from the kitchen into storage ... scored a million brownie points as they have been there for a week and then lost all the points because there was a sticky ring on the kitchen table which I failed to notice ... win some lose some ...

Attachments

• 2020 wax.jpg
    2020 wax.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 30
Fed the nucs today and very pleased with them, some are still too light for my liking though so keep piling the syrup in while I can.20201003_163635.jpg

Latest posts

Back