What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed apivar strips this morning and had a quick peek - all looking OK wth lots of young bees. One is a little light on stores but I am still feeding syrup.

Final vape today (I hope) no6
Good fun as I was bombarded by bees, bouncing off my veil and the back of my head. They were determined to get into the hives before the rain started. I just finished the last one and then down it came!

I thought I would share this photos of a lone wasp I found in one of the black girl colonys recently. IMG-20200926-WA0001.jpg
Last colony to have the super removed.
That's it no more honey..
We can finish putting the girls to bed:(

Last edited:
Too wet to do much with the bees today so rendered and filtered 3.5Kg of this year's capping wax and scrapings. Managed not to destroy her range cooker. Moved all the tubs of honey from the kitchen into storage ... scored a million brownie points as they have been there for a week and then lost all the points because there was a sticky ring on the kitchen table which I failed to notice ... win some lose some ...

It's these risks that makes beekeeping so compelling.:)

Hold fire, Manek..I had to widen all entrances yesterday as such a flow on from the ivy. I initially thought the first hive was swarming (but not logical) as thousands of bees all over the front entrance... then saw other 8 were similar. Phew!
Maybe monitor weather/temp/ forage and when near end of Oct consider shut down preparations. A mouseguard will knock pollen off and cause a slowdown of nectar input as they queue! IMO;)
Only considering, Heather :)

I watched a whole variety of insects (including my bees) on the ivy on the trees in my garden which right on cue has just started to blossom ... lovely sunny afternoon and warm ... sadly, started raining again at 7pm ! Hope they all got a good go at the ivy before the rain came down ...

Completed and fitted more clear crown boards on the nucs, for easy viewing and feeding. Apiary almost ready for winter.

Attachments

• F0E17D40-DBC7-43E3-B5E7-1D1EFAEED228.jpeg
    F0E17D40-DBC7-43E3-B5E7-1D1EFAEED228.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • 799552C0-EF5C-4D79-9BD2-D79A181C55FF.jpeg
    799552C0-EF5C-4D79-9BD2-D79A181C55FF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • B05E64CF-EA44-450B-9861-6C4822ED3ACC.jpeg
    B05E64CF-EA44-450B-9861-6C4822ED3ACC.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 33
  • EA888F17-F042-452E-99B1-FF5F50AB433F.jpeg
    EA888F17-F042-452E-99B1-FF5F50AB433F.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
What a surprise. A roe deer doe in my wood in the afternoon! How I noticed her to start with I will never know! I have to put it down to 'hunting sense' developed over years, when I did actually hunt! She stayed.....totally frozen for at least 15 minutes, as we stood there discussing what to do. We didn't want to scare her, as she was only 30 yards from us and the hives. We decided to ignore her and carried on with what we were doing. She eventually hopped off, over the hedge and ran across the field. :love:

Attachments

• IMG-20201007-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20201007-WA0001.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 53
What a surprise. A roe deer doe in my wood in the afternoon! How I noticed her to start with I will never know! I have to put it down to 'hunting sense' developed over years, when I did actually hunt! She stayed.....totally frozen for at least 15 minutes, as we stood there discussing what to do. We didn't want to scare her, as she was only 30 yards from us and the hives. We decided to ignore her and carried on with what we were doing. She eventually hopped off, over the hedge and ran across the field. :love:
Just getting the top of the picture again. Anyone else with this problem still?

Oh noooo......is she trying to hide again?

Watched from the shelter of the greenhouse as drones and drone larvae were systematically evicted from the hive into the heavy rain. It’s a cruel world.

I got thrown out like that once................. 💔

In the glorious sunshine I got my Warré and KTBH cleaned up and fed. All hives now ready for the winter. Only National I had to feed was the very small swarm I collected from my mentee, which is still a bit on the light side.

Just been over to weigh mine. All but one are bloomin well eating their syrup rather than storing it!
Oh dear! I need to check mine for weight this weekend. I’m hoping I don’t have the same issue.
You'll have to have a stern word with them.

Latest posts

Back