What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear! I need to check mine for weight this weekend. I’m hoping I don’t have the same issue.
You'll have to have a stern word with them.
Yes.... at this rate I'm just going to give up, let them go into winter on the light side and bung on the fondant at Christmas time.

Ease off with the feeding and think about topping them up around the end of the month?
Mine have been given 4 pints after harvest and I topped them up during all the rain we had with storm Alex. Last visit I did a heft and they were a decent weight, noticed a few silver backs coming in, the bees are still busy foraging and temps are still favourable for them.
Too early to chuck in the towel.

Yes.... at this rate I'm just going to give up, let them go into winter on the light side and bung on the fondant at Christmas time.
I think we fuss and worrit too much, there comes a time when you just have to draw a red line under it and let the bees sort themselves out

Clearer boards on all the hives ... some supers were so heavy I could barely lift them - some very fat combs in there.

It was after 4.30pm by the time I started ... breezy but not cold ... I was expecting the worst. Pleasantly suprised, hardly bees any came out to greet me and what few did were just curious about what was going on. had the smoker going just in case... never even picked it up. There were a couple of wasps buzzing around but there does not seem to be any going near the hive entrances.

So I should be able to test the 'new' extractor tomorrow all being well ... I've warned 'er indoors that the carnage is due and weathered the frosty stare ... with any luck I will make no mess and will remove the last sticky speck of honey in some obscure location that only the eagle touch of 'er indoors would ever find.

The casters are on the extractor - couple of adjustments to make - the only worry I have is whether I can get it through the back door and into the kitchen ... watch this space !
Why do you leave it so late in year for taking supers off ?

Did the last round of feeding today, it's one thing I hate about beekeeping all the feeding!
Did another round of vaping

Final vape on two colonies. Removed rapid feeders and added insulation.

Why do you leave it so late in year for taking supers off ?
It's not that late where I am on the Costa del Fareham, there 's still quite a lot of forage about and the bees were still bringing it in .. I don't treat for varroa so there's no rush and the Ivy doesn't come into bloom here until the first week in October. Seems to work for me ...

Feeding completed and feeders off today then back to jar honey, sales going up, Then into workshop to start roof manf.

Took off the last Apivar strips today, all hives heavy. Watched the Red deer rutting very close to our hives. The bellowing stags are impressive close up. I have seen (and heard) it many times but never before so close - just a few metres away!

Watched the bees in the afternoon sun. Lots of activity, plenty of orange and pale yellow pollen going in. Despite the drone clearance last weekend, there are still a few around. They were allowed back into the hive, but not for much longer I would think.

Relatively mild day with a bit of sun so took off the Apivar strips from the 3 hives and did a quick check of the stores situation. Put about 3kg of fondant on each hive to finish off feeding for winter. Very busy orientation flights today and at least 3 frames of brood on each hive still.

Finished feeding yesterday. 15,000 lb. of 2:1. Thankfully, I have a warehouse near me that handles more than a thousand metric tons a year. When they have a spill or compromise a ton tote they save it for me. Third year I haven’t had to buy sugar.

Finished feeding yesterday. 15,000 lb. of 2:1. Thankfully, I have a warehouse near me that handles more than a thousand metric tons a year. When they have a spill or compromise a ton tote they save it for me. Third year I haven’t had to buy sugar.
That’s the way to do it!👍

Added fondant to two as final feed. Fitted additional insulation. Checked varroa boards - only one still an issue and requiring a seventh vape.
Bees coming and going in small numbers as rain was about to start again.

Final stores check today. Looking OK, topped up some syrup and gave one some fondant. Nice to see them still finding some pollen from somewhere.

Two very unhappy double Broods today.... (Winter Feed testing colonies)
Almost all came out to see what was going on..... Biggest "Weed Wacker" they have ever seen.....
First time we are cutting and making silage here, usually graze it down....
Re Pic quality - Unfortunately, I didn't have the courage to get closer....:cautious:
20201014_123326 new-modified.jpg

Had my annual autumn bonefire, finally converted to ashes all the plywood hive roof parts I'd stripped out in the spring, all the rat gnawed shallow frames and all the old brood frames (either past their best or results of DLQ,s etc) chickens the other side of the hedge saw it as an excuse to stop out past their bedtime but soon got bored as by crikey the stuff didn't half burn fiercely and for a long time.
Also noticed, although the ivy has been out for weeks, a strong smell of ripening ivy honey from all the hives.
I do enjoy a good fire on a clear night - and will be good practice for when the beacon fires get lit over the weekend as we finally are allowed tell the sais to stay away 😁

Latest posts

Back