What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my AI equipment on Thursday, finally got round to putting it together after giving it a clean, lubricated all the moving parts via the detailed instructions. It will be sterilised before use. Roll on the breeding season.

Very nice.

Any chance you could start a thread on the queen rearing section with some details and a progress report through the season? I'm sure some of us would appreciate the information before the usual suspects arrive and ruin it.

Thanks.

17 degrees. A quick look in every hive. Brood and food in all of them so stopped fondant. Funny, until we had fondant I never used to worry about was there enough food! Now I add fondant which they use but don't need! Must have confidence in myself!
E

17 degrees. A quick look in every hive. Brood and food in all of them so stopped fondant. Funny, until we had fondant I never used to worry about was there enough food! Now I add fondant which they use but don't need! Must have confidence in myself!
E

My god thats a decent summer temperature where I am. :drool5:
On a more serious note - what pollen plants have you got available - I know in some areas its been 'washed out' ?

Pulmonaria, anenome, yellow pea bush (coronilla glauca) cultivated and wild mahonia, species tulips covered in bees, cultivated heather, plum trees just opening, deutzia. Grape hyacinth, primula, cow slip.helibores, hyacinth, magnolia. Bride bush, one I can't remember with loads of white flowers. Sloe. Camelia, flowering currant. Daphne. Just to mention a few. Not sure which are pollen rich but plenty coming in.

You are lucky with your forage Enrico! We are behind by a few weeks, just a peculiarity of geography. SWMBO has been going round the home bees and says the hives are fine but some of the nucs are getting light, not surprising really, there is forage available but it has been wet/windy since September.

This is the first day here too! We have had rain and wind but the plants haven't suffered. Missed alot of blossom. Cherry plum all gone, almond missed. No bees on the snowdrops. Still, plenty to look forward to! I was pleased to see they all seemed strong so fingers crossed for a good crop later in the season!
E

Was over at my mates animal sanctuary, where they asked me to site a hive last autumn. Got rid of my one WBC over there, since it is viewed by the public and I find them a pain in my apiary. Hive very busy, lots of orientation flights and pollen going in. If we get the warmth predicted next week, I might have a quick look in all my colonies.

I can't wait for Spring to start, I'm fed up of Winter now. I'm going to remove the mouse guards over the next week so I don't get too much pollen knocked off the bees, I just hope the weather forecast is accurate for once.

My god thats a decent summer temperature where I am. :drool5:
On a more serious note - what pollen plants have you got available - I know in some areas its been 'washed out' ?

I can count on my hands the number of dry days we've had in the last six months and most dry days the wind has been howling. The bees have been bringing in a variety of pollen, they have gorse nearby which is always in bloom and they take advantage.

I can't wait for Spring to start, I'm fed up of Winter now. I'm going to remove the mouse guards over the next week so I don't get too much pollen knocked off the bees, I just hope the weather forecast is accurate for once.

Ditto that... ordered any foundation from NBHS?

Chons da

The forecast is always accurate when they forecast rain...

No chance of any outside beekeeping today, so learnt how to make beeswax wraps instead. Very pleased with the results. Will certainly make some more.

Day off at last, finally finished repairing 6 old hives to fill a new apiary. Knocked up double stands for them and gave them a coat of creocote

Checked and replaced fondant - all still alive

Local farmer (and friend) has suggested he sow a wildflower area of 2-3 acres for me to site hives - think it's going to be a good season :biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Checked all 8 hives at my 2 locations yesterday for fondant. All doing well and first time since last year that I can say that all hives flying on the same day.....

Without starting a debate on locals v imports my 3 hives with german queens are on 7-8 seams of bees and flying like it's a summers day bringing in pollen, the others are smaller and less flying and pollen.

Also checked for fondant - warm-ish day at 11-12 degrees saw them flying a bit. Plenty remaining so no need for action. I'm also delighted with my new poly crown board as I can see what's going on without disturbing them.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Checked all 8 hives at my 2 locations yesterday for fondant. All doing well and first time since last year that I can say that all hives flying on the same day.....

Without starting a debate on locals v imports my 3 hives with german queens are on 7-8 seams of bees and flying like it's a summers day bringing in pollen, the others are smaller and less flying and pollen.

Why even mention it then? Or are you simply trying to justify your decision using this piece of observation?
Would I want to see 7-8 seams of bees at this time of year, with the weather we've had and still having? It seems your imported bees are a bit out of tune with weather conditions and another reason you were checking fondant. Let's hope they haven't swarmed on you before it's warm enough to start inspecting:rolleyes:

Received my AI equipment on Thursday, finally got round to putting it together after giving it a clean, lubricated all the moving parts via the detailed instructions. It will be sterilised before use. Roll on the breeding season.

@nantmoel - what brand of II kit did you buy? And how much was it (if you don't mind me asking)?

Why even mention it then? Or are you simply trying to justify your decision using this piece of observation?
Would I want to see 7-8 seams of bees at this time of year, with the weather we've had and still having? It seems your imported bees are a bit out of tune with weather conditions and another reason you were checking fondant. Let's hope they haven't swarmed on you before it's warm enough to start inspecting:rolleyes:

To be fair he didn't claim that one was better than the other either way, just shared an observation about the different bees he keeps.

Bees flying on and of today and on the gorse but very little pollen going in..checked the colonies for fondant and pollen subs..fondant level ok but the pollen subs are nearly gone on all of them..hopefully the willow wood gets its arse into gear before they run out of pollen subs or just in time for them running out..
Two hives that have no fondant or pollen subs where given some today..these two hives on double brood are bursting with bees and starting to loose weight..one was fine with me messing about with the crown board to place a eke but the other was none too pleased..the little devils spewed out all over my veil and then changed there mind and went back into the hive..apart from that all look well and give me no concern to worry.

Went to check the hives today and all were bringing in loads of pollen all very active, spring has certainly sprung!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back