What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I is very sensible believe it or not ..so please be sensible your self..can you honestly understand what I am on about?

I do indeed, a rather pathetic attempt at sabotaging a thread that's been running almost as long as this forum, just so that you can 'own' your own
I'd advise you to wash your dummy in warm water after you pick it up off the floor

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a good look through. All looking good they have lots of young bees, some brood and loads of nectar/stores BUT as I suspected very little pollen stores, probably as a result of the nearby hillside being cleared of everything except grass and immature trees.

I've made the most of the gorgeous weather and been busy in the apiary. Two hives given new stands, floors and roofs. One full super taken off each of my hives for extraction and yesterday I got the MAQS strips on just in time for the warmer weather.

Finally bought my own extractor, so hoping for a quicker start next year with all that ready-drawn comb.

I also took an inventory of all my beekeeping stuff, in order to figure out what I need for next year. "Found" a big box of empty frames that need a thorough cleaning that I had conveniently forgetting about.

United 3 colonies from 2019 queens leaving them a queen I'm not totally happy with. If this doesn't work we're down to uniting back with 2018 queen.

Not a successful year for queen rearing.

I do indeed, a rather pathetic attempt at sabotaging a thread that's been running almost as long as this forum, just so that you can 'own' your own
I'd advise you to wash your dummy in warm water after you pick it up off the floor

Wrong again...but i will let it lay and forget.

While inspecting yesterday I found that one colony needed three or four combs filling, so moved the new ashforth feeder over to it and put what I had left, about 5 litres of syrup in. This morning I see them like this:

y4mSQHvoGP61SlOnGbJCY16CLwSKTXgmZyngBl3YP0mH8BlX6qvO6gmOyRHgh3ZmPH0CHjswnYBceB9Jpe4NDjW-2nDOTPPZD8OtZQU4uCg3JxQAtK7H9EhKZcBN2LVL8_6mLvg1kauTob7an_b6ApP4NSAQvcMN8H7HwFuxRx9ncbZcJdU4j22-BjuGNDsQjXtEBUA76mOCPBA75lTAla6dw

Then later like this: Video

Seem excited they have syrup! I hope that's all it is :D

Just transferred a swarm

I’ve delayed bringing my last swarm trap in for a while. It was located on my workshop and last Monday I noticed a swarm had moved in. Having been very busy in the week, only this evening was I able to close the trap up and transfer them to a nuc. This was the largest swarm I’ve come across this summer and am pleased that it wasn’t one of my own.

It’s fascinating to see the ammount of foundation they’ve drawn in just 6 days and already laden with stores. Have put the rapid feeder on so it will be interesting to see how quickly they take this.

You say you moved the feeder over ?
You checked it for residual bees ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yup completely emptied. You reckon this is robbing? I couldn't see any fighting except a wasp which was outnumbered.
There was a lot of fanning too. What else could explain this behaviour?

Yup completely emptied. You reckon this is robbing? I couldn't see any fighting except a wasp which was outnumbered.

Maybe not . When there is a food source close by . Ie in the hive even . Scouts will waggle that it’s in the immediate area , thus creating excitement?

Hi Japey, They are fanning off the water from the syrup you are feeding. Some bees have vacated the hive to increase air flow between the combs. The bees lining up in rows at the hive entrance do not have their butts in the air which excludes Nasonov fanning. They are helping fanning the moist air out of the hive. They will become more active generally thinking they are on a flow! All's good.

Hi Japey, They are fanning off the water from the syrup you are feeding. Some bees have vacated the hive to increase air flow between the combs. The bees lining up in rows at the hive entrance do not have their butts in the air which excludes Nasonov fanning. They are helping fanning the moist air out of the hive. They will become more active generally thinking they are on a flow! All's good.

21ffc21606935a66e6a1f23ae7ac53ba.jpg

Here is an exposed Nasanov Gland .

Hi Victor, Good shot of Nasonov fanning. Very different to position the bees take in Japey's video.

Thanks Victor & Beeno. I'll keep an eye on them as they were definitely a lot more active than they have been recently. Hopefully they're just excited they have a "flow" on.

Was away with work so hives were not checked or fed for 2-3 weeks. Last check at the weekend and all 8 hives Q+ and loads of brood, nearly as strong as in the middle of summer. I have now started to feed the lighter ones and the 3 hives at home have started their OA vapes. I have some questions tho...

Can hives have too much pollen at this time of year? All have loads but 3 have a couple of full brood frames.

Can hives be too strong at this time of year? 6 of the 8 are on at least 7+ frames of brood and the other w are not far behind.

Does anybody have a rough winter starting weight for the following hive combos? Nat brood, Nat brood +1/2 and 14x12 brood

Thanks

Can hives have too much pollen at this time of year? All have loads but 3 have a couple of full brood frames.

Can hives be too strong at this time of year? 6 of the 8 are on at least 7+ frames of brood and the other w are not far behind.

Thanks

I don't think so as I had a brood box full of pollen (double brood) one September and it was emptied by Christmas to my surprise. Since they are producing a good complement of winter bees they probably need it. As long as you keep hefting and feeding it should not be a problem per se. Some of mine are very light at the moment, but two are going the right way. Still a long way to go though.

Thanks Victor & Beeno. I'll keep an eye on them as they were definitely a lot more active than they have been recently. Hopefully they're just excited they have a "flow" on.
Just viewed your little Vid..
I fed two colonies 2:1 sugar syrup a few day's..the next day i had the same happen as i have before..the bees come out in a mad rush but nobody knows where the food rush is coming from so they can not tell each other...which results in confusion..one colony was fine and had no mass of bees fanning at the entrance..the neighbouring colony was humming like a chain saw with masses of bees outside and half way up the brood box above the entrance...
This here(me) thick twat had forgotten to pull the inspection tray out and the bees where frantically trying trying to get the air con working through a narrow tunnel entrance..i pulled the inspection tray out 4in below the mesh floor and 10min's later all was back to normal..

Latest posts

Back