What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would have to run like hell
I was at my out apiary this morning to move 2 NUCs into full size hives. I have a couple of unused WBC hives, I lost the colonies in the winter, in which I was storing all the empty boxes and equipment after I had cleaned up earlier in the year.
I lifted the lid on one, moved 2 empty supers and a crown board to get to a queen excluder. My glasses had fallen from my nose due to the sweat and my vision was not too good. That's a big wasp I thought as I merrily removed equipment.
AAAAARRHHH!!! a European Hornet nest had been constructed hanging from the QE.
I quickly replaced a crown board and roof and exited the apiary. On reflection they paid me no attention at all and just carried on their merry way. I will return later and try and get a photo.

I thought I would have to run like hel...
AAAAARRHHH!!! a European Hornet nest had been constructed hanging from the QE....

Congratulations, so... you're now a Hornetkeeper as well as a Beekeeper - according to my spell checker we've just invented a new word!

So... now you have a wonderful opportunity, to either allow them to stay and breed Hornet resistant bees in the apiary, or you can now do a Brother Adams on the Hornet and breed a docile vegetarian strain, release these into the wild and Hornet problem solved :icon_204-2:

Went through my two nasty hives today with a friend from my BKA, only to find that they were actually fairly well behaved. He's taken one and the other has been left with the supers over a clearer board.

They haven't really expanded much since they were split at the end of April, though the brood pattern is good and they've brought in a fair bit of honey, so I'm a bit perplexed as to the cause of the original nastiness. They were on a 14*12 with 4 supers so could it be down to lack of Queen pheromones throughout the hive??

Anyway, having procrastinated for a few weeks it turns out that I didn't need to be a chicken after all!

Forgot to add - went through one of my home colonies which is on around 6 frames of BIAS (14*12).

Found a new Queen, and signs of a recently vacated queen cell, so I marked her. Then on the next frame was my original marked Queen strutting her stuff and laying very happily. Next to the vacated queen cell was a capped cell, but there were no others.

I whipped the new Queen out and popped her into a nuc, and removed the other queen cell. Thinking about it afterwards, I assume that they're superseding due to the small number of QCs, small colony size and lack of swarming. If there's a charged queencell next week I'll leave it.

AAAAARRHHH!!! a European Hornet nest had been constructed hanging from the QE.

You lucky Devil. Not seen a hornet in my part of Yorkshire since I can remember.
Sell tickets for people to see them. I'd pop along just to see them...but Herne Bay is quite a trip from me.

Last edited:
Most of us, here, do

European Hornets are quite rare in a lot of the UK. They are amazing pest controllers and hardly make much impact on a decent colony of bees.

Live and let live.

We get European hornets hawking the hives only ever 1 at a time. The noise they make is amazing. Nice to see them. The Green woodpecker makes a similar noise in flight and is far more of a concern for my hives come winter than the Hornets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most of us, here, do
European Hornets are quite rare in a lot of the UK. They are amazing pest controllers and hardly make much impact on a decent colony of bees.
Live and let live.

Yeh that ... One in my apiary this evening ... seemed to be more interested in catching smaller insects under the trees on the boundary than in the bees. Was making a hell of a racket - it's no wonder people are frightened by them. I don't see them very often - if I do they are usually around the pond looking for a drink. First one I've seen this year.

I have a hornets nest in my roof and they are constantly hawking all my hives. Picking the bees off one by one and causing defensive behaviour in the bees. Not amused at all.

Treated most of my colonies with Apivar strips now that I've taken the honey off. Noticed wasps just beginning to sniff around so will have to put up traps (wasp bane).

Just to give everyone a laugh I fell of a ladder the other day whilst disposing of a hornets nest in side of barn. Left shoulder and back still not quite right

Treated most of my colonies with Apivar strips now that I've taken the honey off. Noticed wasps just beginning to sniff around so will have to put up traps (wasp bane).

Bloody Hell Walrus is it all over for you already?
Just about to take a couple of colonies to the moors to try (yet again) for some bell, Before taking several up later this month for the ling. We will finish about mid-September and then varroa treat and feed.

Just about to take a couple of colonies to the moors to try (yet again) for some bell, Before taking several up later this month for the ling. We will finish about mid-September and then varroa treat and feed.

I don't do the heather and the flow has slowed right down, as has queen laying. There is usually something from balsam but they can have that for winter. I have loads of honey, plenty for my needs, and I'm on my travels Aug/Sep/Oct so doing things a bit early :)

Green woodpecker makes a similar noise in flight and is far more of a concern for my hives come winter than the Hornets.

Is that because all the hornet queens are all hibernating and there are no workers alive?

...Picking the bees off one by one ...

Think yourself lucky they are not catching more than one at a time!

I'm all but done too... Started putting the clearer boards on today and will begin varroa treatments at beginning of August.

Latest posts

Back