What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure again but Oil Seed Rape certainly goes whitish and sets like concrete sooner or later..

Our apairy site near the river 6 miles away had 3 frames of osr out of twenty I've made soft set honey , my 🍯 is going to our local show the end of July I'm going to give it a go. any body got any tips for showing , selling honey at shows?.
Cheers mark...

Extracted first super of honey from the big swarm that I caught in early June. They've gone off like a train and I didn't think I would have any honey this year.The bees always surprise me.

If it’s a show run by an association then there may be other sellers, those taste sticks go down well and many want to trial. If so make sure you have offered up a few jars for samples...if they have just tried your jar and like it they will in general ask for 1 of yours instead of the random jar next to it. Pay back ten fold

Put the price up :)

Well yeh shows are very expensive . You get in for free and sell your honey for a premium. But have to give 10% back for selling it , I'm not sure who's making the money .
But then I'm looking into the future :sunning: local shows are one way of getting people to know about your 🍯 .

Well yeh shows are very expensive . You get in for free and sell your honey for a premium. But have to give 10% back for selling it , I'm not sure who's making the money .
/QUOTE]

Don't know what dodgy practices shows in your area are pulling. I pay a pitch fee at the annual shows I go to and keep every penny.
If they wanted 10% of my takings I'd tell them to stuff it.

I suspect you may be talking about your local BKA who have paid for a pitch at a show and are selling your honey (and others) and want 10%??
Mine wanted 20% and wanted to dictate the price it was sold at (cheap). Needless to say we don't get on well anymore :)

Spent all day with my local SBI looking at my 21 hives in five apiaries...
brilliant day picking up tips and learning about the way Defra works!
I even got compliments about the quality of my bees, home made hives and apiaries.
If you get a chance to have your bees inspected by the SBI grab it with both hands and learn!

Spent all day with my local SBI looking at my 21 hives in five apiaries...
brilliant day picking up tips and learning about the way Defra works!
I even got compliments about the quality of my bees, home made hives and apiaries.
If you get a chance to have your bees inspected by the SBI grab it with both hands and learn!

If you have that many Hives you should not need a bee inspector as your experience should dictate your ability to determine problems .. are you pulling folks legs..?

If you have that many Hives you should not need a bee inspector as your experience should dictate your ability to determine problems .. are you pulling folks legs..?

Hive numbers have nowt to do with it. Seasonal bee inspectors do inspections to random beekeepers within their area...That is for anyone who is registered ;)

Hive numbers have nowt to do with it. Seasonal bee inspectors do inspections to random beekeepers within their area...That is for anyone who is registered ;)

I am registered ?.. i might email them only to hear from the fellow who arrives and say's Mr Millet your brood boxes are unusually full of honey..we need to take them away for analysis.. :rolleyes:

Are you? or do you honestly not have a scooby as to what a Bee Inspector is?

/QUOTE]

Don't know what dodgy practices shows in your area are pulling. I pay a pitch fee at the annual shows I go to and keep every penny.
If they wanted 10% of my takings I'd tell them to stuff it.

I suspect you may be talking about your local BKA who have paid for a pitch at a show and are selling your honey (and others) and want 10%??
Mine wanted 20% and wanted to dictate the price it was sold at (cheap). Needless to say we don't get on well anymore :)
Yep LBKA they want 10% and yes the price has been set .
There's also a local bee farmer who is selling his honey for cheap in all the local shops ect .:nono:
Even if I was a bee farmer I wouldn't be selling it for that price . How do you compete with that ?
I'm thinking he's not very proud of his honey or it tastes **** ....
20% no wonder you fell out!

Last edited:
Back