What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
So do you make a wood poly sandwich for the nucs Richard ??

Yes i suppose so , We have a home made wooded base, because if not, mice easily they their way through the base in the winter.
The middle section in the "Mini-Plus" Poly nuc and the top is the roof we make.
will try and include some pics, but not sure how many i can include.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12634&stc=1&d=1452898714

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12634&stc=1&d=1452899083

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12636&stc=1&d=1452899499

Attachments

• IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7486.jpg
    IMG_7486.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
A chilly 5°C this morning. Cleared dead bee from entrances no sign of life in all but colony 6! As soon as I touched the hive they were out in full defensive mode. (The colony was a swarm catch from last year and have always been a little aggressive.) bee-smillie:

pottered around taking inspection trays away after Monday's vaping thought I'd spend a little time counting the mite drop then had a terrible attack of common sense so went back inside for a cup of tea

Vaped the last of our hives today, the nasty one in an out apiary, even though it was 3 degrees out the little buggers were there to greet me, and when I removed the vaporisor about 30 more can out!

-5C overnight.

Went to Association apiary and counted varroa drop. (-1C there at 10am)
Too cold to do anything else.

Hmmm ....that doesn't bode well for later in the season ...an early requeen if they start to be a handful ?
I have two of those...
They were like that last year.....cast swarms into bait hives within a week of each other....same source?
What is it about free bees? I should have just combined them when they showed their true colours.

PS.....husband and I lugged a 900x600mm paving stone to the apiary this morning. Your hive stand is painted, a new Paynes floor has arrived so bring on the next swarm :)

Last edited:
spent my day getting all my hives ready to sell as they are all national and we are moving to france in may

Done oxalic acid trickling today, first in my life :) Took about 20 minutes for 9 hives. No bee suit, no smoker… Next time I`ll put suit on, definitely :)
About 2/3 hives are proactive, the rest is sluggish, but all are alive and feeling great :) It`s the first relatively long period here this winter when average daily temperature is lower or equal to 5`C for 10 days since 6/01/16. There is a believe that queens do not lay eggs at T lower than 5`C… Not true, I checked it. :) But I`m pretty sure the queens are much more reluctant of doing this at such a low T, so I trickled :) Took 300g of water, 60 g of sugar, and 12g of oxalic acid; 5 ml per seem as I counted that 6 seems of bees per hive should be my average figure. I did not mistake much :) … Let` s see how it works :)

Took 300g of water, 60 g of sugar, and 12g of oxalic acid; 5 ml … Let` s see how it works :)

From where heck you got that mixture. Makes no sense.
Unefficient formula. Sugars duty is to work like a glue, and when bees rub it, they spread stuff all over their body. It works several days.

When you put mere water, it dries up very quickly.

It should be
180 g water+ 180 g sugar + 12 g OA = 3,3%

5 ml /seam is for 2-box colony and

3 ml/seam for one box colony.

How it works? ... it has been researched enough how it has worked during 18 years.

Last edited:
I have two of those...
They were like that last year.....cast swarms into bait hives within a week of each other....same source?
What is it about free bees? I should have just combined them when they showed their true colours.

PS.....husband and I lugged a 900x600mm paving stone to the apiary this morning. Your hive stand is painted, a new Paynes floor has arrived so bring on the next swarm :)

i have another stand to make for my spare hive and I've a plan to get some paving slabs under my hives as the pallets (predictably) are starting to rot a bit. It won't be long to swarm season and we will all be lamenting the relative calm of the winter !

From where heck you got that mixture. Makes no sense. Unefficient formula.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/250g-Oxalic-...hash=item3cc0595748:m:m5ebkyHKSLOxCSyGpVGQtYw
~26000 buyers, 99,7% positive feedback :)
Not an advertisement! :)
Sugars duty is to work like a glue, and when bees rub it, they spread stuff all over their body. It works several days.
Yep. And the more water in it, the slower it dries up, the longer it`s efficient, the higher gets acid concentration during evaporation per a unit.
When you put mere water, it dries up very quickly.
Nope. The more water the slower it`s evaporation->logical :)
It should be
180 g water+ 180 g sugar + 12 g OA = 3,3%

5 ml /seam is for 2-box colony and

3 ml/seam for one box colony.
All my bees are on double BB, but I`m not sure who occupies top BB and who both…And I have no wish to dismantle this beautifully looked structures :) As it may cause more harm than help.
How it works? ... it has been researched enough how it has worked during 18 years.
When do you want me to show the pictures indicating that everything goes ok? :)))

Back