What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially, when have to get mated queens.. If You mention them how pretty they are, they are getting horns on their heads..

Norton mentioned that they stop queen rearing operations for a couple of weeks in CY, when the bee eaters are passing through.

They have visited this country on a few odd occasions, apparently.

Norton mentioned that they stop queen rearing operations for a couple of weeks in CY, when the bee eaters are passing through.

They have visited this country on a few odd occasions, apparently.

I guess stopping Queen breeding may make sense when they pass through on migration if you were on a "stop over" like Cyprus.

Chris

Met a PHd student from the sustainability unit at Exeter university who is going to monitor winter mite drop and treatment on two colonies over the next few months.
picture.php

and made up some swarm boards for next season from recycled ply.

picture.php

Went and checked both sites today after the news of Payn3s last week. Was a wonderful site of all the hives flying, driving along the track to one site the ivy looked like there was a colony of bees in it with the amount of bees flying round, I had a good look but there didn't seem to be one.

Put ratchet straps on as has been very windy otherwise leaving them to it. Bees actually flying today

Met a PHd student from the sustainability unit at Exeter university who is going to monitor winter mite drop and treatment on two colonies over the next few months.
picture.php

and made up some swarm boards for next season from recycled ply.

picture.php

Hi,
Does she need other hives for her study? I'm just down the road at Teignmouth.

Regards,

Bill

Bl%dy mites

Girls flying well today on Heat Island, sub-tropical Southern Britain, in 11C. We still have ivy and an ivy-like bushy shrub.

Saw a mortuary bee take out a DWV victim (pictured). It's clear my current generation of brood is heavily violated and I cannot avoid a brood cull and OA. I'm terrified with all the possibilities of harming the Q, but I think it is unavoidable.

I think it looks a bit like Fatshedera Lizei, which is a cross between an Ivy and a Fatsia.

Last edited:
Today sanking in the snow at the Apiary.:xmas-smiley-010:
Sunny, no wind, temp around 6 ( but cause of sun seems warmer). Few bees going out ( toilet call I presume).
Saw few wasps going to the hives:confused:. How they cope with freezing nights in snow? Must be I am missing something..

Saw few wasps going to the hives:confused:. How they cope with freezing nights in snow? Must be I am missing something..

I think the UK and Croatia must be growing some sort of freeze resistant super wasp!
We had -4 a few nights ago and I'm still seeing the odd wasp

Latest posts

Back