What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goran, are the tall wooden posts by the hives so you can find them in the snow?

Moved 20 supers full of extracted comb from the shed to stands in the Apiary to chill and kill the waxmoth, then had a big bonfire of old brood frames , damaged old comb and a waxmoth damaged Brood box, then weighed all the hives, loss in weight about 5 to 7lb per hive

Then after a pub lunch checked some more hives including removing Bayvarol strips at 6 wks from hive that still had a very high drop after August apiguard

Watched warre bees - Carnies - going in and out. All other hives doing nothing.

Removed leaves from around hives - three oak trees in neighbouring field have shed half their leaves- into our garden.

Sought to find bottom of Bombay Sapphire 1 liter bottle. (failed)

Goran, are the tall wooden posts by the hives so you can find them in the snow?

No, they are usually connected with string and on it I place something to "scare" or repulse birds from the hives ( CDs, ribbons). As You noticed it is pretty windy so always that move in the air. Also with this I put some food for the birds - some 100m from the hives to lure them there so also hives to be unattractive to them.
Earlier ( pretty long ago) it wasn't strange to have 80-150cm of snow. It all changed by climate change. We get sometimes 50-70 cm now. I am speaking about where I live, not for whole Croatia.

As it is it looks like a pretty exposed position!

Yes, on top of the hill. Still didn't use some insulation ( I am thinking of something, but not yet tried, undecided). Last winter ( 2012/2013) had no losses and all were production units in 2013 ( but overall season was unsatisfying due to bad weather).

No, they are usually connected with string and on it I place something to "scare" or repulse birds from the hives ( CDs, ribbons). As You noticed it is pretty windy so always that move in the air. Also with this I put some food for the birds - some 100m from the hives to lure them there so also hives to be unattractive to them.

Ah, I see. What birds tend to prey on the bees, and is the deterrent successful?

European%20Bee-eater.jpg

Chris

Ah, I see. What birds tend to prey on the bees, and is the deterrent successful?

Tit bird family and similar small birds annoying at the entrances, especially when deep snow cover the ground and minus go around -10celsius.
Woodpecker family birds flying around but at my fortune leave the bees in peace.
Even I place the food, occasionally come rare some bird ( curiosity or "new bird in town").
This year is bit strange, still they didn't touch offered food or got near the hives ( as the mice at my fortune). But there is plenty of winter to come..

Yes, but luckily not near me. Frankly, I think never saw one live. Especially cause I am not near the rivers. As heard more in eastern part of Croatia ( river banks).

Why luckily? They are really nice birds with a lovely call and they really don't bother bees enough to worry.

Chris

Why luckily? They are really nice birds with a lovely call and they really don't bother bees enough to worry.

Chris

Cause the beekeepers who have them plenty around say they are real menace to the Apiary ( in great number come for a feast). Especially, when have to get mated queens.. If You mention them how pretty they are, they are getting horns on their heads..

Back