What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone else with King Canute syndrome or just bored?

Chris

... Canute was demonstrating that a King could not hold back the sea
"Henry of Huntingdon, the 12th-century chronicler, tells how Cnut set his throne by the sea shore and commanded the tide to halt and not wet his feet and robes. Yet "continuing to rise as usual [the tide] dashed over his feet and legs without respect to his royal person. Then the king leapt backwards, saying: 'Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws.' He then hung his gold crown on a crucifix, and never wore it again "to the honour of God the almighty King".[95] This incident is usually misrepresented by popular commentators and politicians as an example of Cnut's arrogance"

I assumed that donaldb7340 was indicating the pointlessness of killing wasps one by one...

...or simply bored.

Chris

Wasps wasps wasps. While going through my main hive I caught a glimpse of my spare. Visitors going in and out. Thought I'd caught a swarm :) unfortunately all wasps :( closed the entrance and sealed the hive up. Hopefully the ones inside will die and the others will bugger off.

My garden apiary is under wasp attack too, little blighters. So different from this time last year when there were hardly any about.

Wasps here too, a few bees minus abdomens cast about the home apiary.
Also added a super here and there, put out a new bait hive (there is still time) and topped up bark chips around hives at home apiary.

Last edited:
Extracted 250+lbs of Honey from four hives with our Beginners, lovely dark Aromatic golden honey, not an ounce of OSR///nice to just give orders and not have to uncap or lift the supers in and out

Last edited:
Bees got me twice, I have "fallen" as Achilles twice ( one in each leg), while I was strimming around hives..

Cut up a lovely frame of unwired capped honey for the cut comb entry to the Gower show, then tidied up my frame of honey to put in the display case polished up my wax blocks (not the best effort, but it's to supprt the honey show and ensure its success and I have to start somewhere) remembered my spare honey jar lids then Took mine and my cousin Lilian's exhibits down to Penrhys Castle and was impressed with the turnout of exhibits and the quality - a lot of nice frames of honey and a large number of blackcurrant and honey preserve so that will be the acid test!

*note to self*:
when one-handedly closing one's razor sharp pocket knife whilst also holding a full frame of honey, push knife closed by applying pressure with the thumb ON THE UN-EDGED side of the blade!
Managed not to get any blood on my exhibits though so no harm done (apart from when using the showground loos and conscientiously cleaning hands with the supplied alcohol hand wash! :eek:

Just looking at the hives tonight , according to the pollen chart , the Italian mob have found Balsam somewhere . No idea where from though . The other hives have not found it yet , Very strange watching one hive working flat out and the other 3 very quiet .

Just looking at the hives tonight , according to the pollen chart , the Italian mob have found Balsam somewhere . No idea where from though . The other hives have not found it yet , Very strange watching one hive working flat out and the other 3 very quiet .

Saw the beginnings of balsam stripes on the bees in the association apiary Thursday but what little there is at home hasn't really burst forth yet - my younghives are set up ready for a little spike in forage whatever, be nice to see them using the supers this year

Inspected today. Put in the entrance reducer.

Still waiting on the balsam to fill a super, nowhere near ready for any honey so far :(

M

At last! Honey!

Harvested our first honey. 28 lbs of the stuff. Not bad for a first effort from one urban hive, less than a mile from Big Ben.

And it tastes heavenly! Like rosewater. Thank you, neighbours.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Added more supers and moved a nucleus into a hive. Broke two hive straps, must have been cheap and nasty.

Broke three of mine recently, like you say cheap and nasty, thought the nylon straps would have lasted longer though! Time to go up market maybe, not to much though!

Some balsam out here but bees haven't found it.
Lots of neon green pollen going in....must look it up.
My first batch of jarred honey has wax scum on it ....bugger!!!!!
I'll have to re-filter and re-jar the lot!!!!!

Latest posts

Back