What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lessor beings might have thrown a tantrum at the spoiled super.
Any chance of turning the remains into another show case, or is it on the fire-back keeping your toes warm?

Don't think so - it was a super my friend made up for me from bits and pieces of cedar he'd had donated to his school - mostly T&G and on this particular one the pieces were laid vertically so not much worth recycling - luckily it was empty that's all i can say!!. Thinking of making a display case similar to the one I have but I prefer to use a bit of hardwood and I think I know where to lay my hands on a piece :D

Discovered that bees love old mans beard (no i dont mean mine), the plant. My apiary has lots in it and bees were all over it. Will let the land owner know not to worry so much about getting rid of it as it will give me a good august forage for my bees.

Mystery solved. Thanks.

Don't think so - it was a super my friend made up for me from bits and pieces of cedar he'd had donated to his school - mostly T&G and on this particular one the pieces were laid vertically so not much worth recycling - luckily it was empty that's all i can say!!. Thinking of making a display case similar to the one I have but I prefer to use a bit of hardwood and I think I know where to lay my hands on a piece :D

Not the chapel pews again ?

Busy weekend

So, had the inspector in (as per other thread in health section).
Saw my first jar of honey (only to be removed for testing!).
:banghead:
United two weak colonies....felt v guilty over the removal of one queen.

Took off all the supers. Ordered new part for petrol strimmer so that can cut the grass before the Autumn rains start.

So, had the inspector in (as per other thread in health section).
Saw my first jar of honey (only to be removed for testing!).
:banghead:
United two weak colonies....felt v guilty over the removal of one queen.

Look on it as doing the other hive a favour - it's always sad to kill anything but sometimes there really is no other sensible option. I even feel guilty when you feel that squish under your boot when you realise that you've stepped on one of your girls crawling through the grass trying to get home with a full sac of honey and couln't quite manage the last three feet of flight !! Bless 'em !!

Full inspection of all hives except the bad tempered one which may be superceding, once it settles down this will be sold.

One colony still waiting to go to it's new home, so ended up taking out a frame of stores, so they have enough room!

Once these two have gone, I will be down to the 4 that I intend to take into winter! Now where am I going to store all the kit I had to gather to get through summer?!!!!!!!

As many of you will know, I look after 4 hives on the roof of Manchester Cathedral. The Cathedral is closed at present for major works on the underfloor heating.

I didn't look at them last week; my deputy did a mini inspection of one of the new hives and added a super to the established one.

I went there this a.m. to put a wasp trap on the roof, only to be met by the builder, who said we can't get into the cathedral and onto the roof for the next three weeks. So I decided to inspect them all.

One of the new colonies has developed two serious queen cells, on the bottom of two frames. One looked near to being capped, the other a few days off.

The queen was there, eggs and BIAS on 4 frames, two frames of stores, 4 frames being drawn and 2 undrawn. The brood looked normal (not drone brood). The nuc was hived on 12th July - 3 1/2 weeks ago.

My guess is supercedure for some reason - though I would expect the QCs to be in the centre of the frame, rather than the bottom.

Anyhow, having been told I can't access the bees for 3 weeks, I decided they probably know best, destroyed the less developed cell and put it all back.

Then, just as I finished.........

.......... the builder came and said he was wrong: it's only 5 days I can't get up to the hives!

I left things as they were.

Any thoughts?

Dusty

Then, just as I finished.........

.......... the builder came and said he was wrong: it's only 5 days I can't get up to the hives!

I left things as they were.

Any thoughts?

Dusty

Well, I'm no expert, but 3weeks does seem excessive for underfloor heating.
I'd go with the 5 days...

The Cathedral is closed at present for major works on the underfloor heating.
Dusty

Political correctnes taken over at the C0fE now eh? I suppose that's the new word for 'hell' is it?

One of the new colonies has developed two serious queen cells, on the bottom of two frames. One looked near to being capped, the other a few days off.

The queen was there, eggs and BIAS on 4 frames, two frames of stores, 4 frames being drawn and 2 undrawn. The brood looked normal (not drone brood). The nuc was hived on 12th July - 3 1/2 weeks ago.

My guess is supercedure for some reason - though I would expect the QCs to be in the centre of the frame, rather than the bottom.

Anyhow, having been told I can't access the bees for 3 weeks, I decided they probably know best, destroyed the less developed cell and put it all back.

Any thoughts?

Dusty

I think I'd have done the same Dusty splitting what is basically a weak hive at this time is never good and it may be just a hickup on their part and they may tidy up by the time you next look.
It seems this year from various reports and observations that bees have decided to throw a flanker and not follow the book as far as placement of QC's go. on the one hive i had swarm all the QC's were fixed to the top bar apart from two about 2 inches down on the side bars.
Bees working at the periphery of the cluster get less queen pheremones hence the build up of cells in those areas - maybe HM isn't 100% and already the bees are feeling the lack of queen substance.
Good luck!

Political correctnes taken over at the C0fE now eh? I suppose that's the new word for 'hell' is it?

Thanks for that, JMB.

We found several lead coffins and loads of unexpected burials.

But always room for one more sinner......

I have a valid excuse for being a bit bonkers - I have to live amongst French people.

You said it, Luminos (from another thread).

This Forum! What a place!

Dusty

Last edited:

Thanks for that, JMB.

We found several lead coffins and loads of unexpected burials.

This Forum! What a place!

Dusty

In view of the current refurbishment works JBM and I would like to put in for the skip rights to any 15th century pews, choirs or rood screens you are throwing out ? They will go to a good recycling home ... reincarnated as bee hives !

Meanwhile in the more prosaic world of the semi-rural beekeeper (as opposed to those at the heights of beekeeping:), reduced all entrances on nucs to 2 beespaces in anticipation of largescale wasp invasions... lots around compared to last year.

Fed one mating nuc.

Admired my tan in the rain.:eek:

Found a split is a drone layer, going 2 do the deed tomorrow and unite and treated a wasp nest in the ground 20 foot from my hives

Back