What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and watched some of my bees flying, just lovely, then went to the association and watched more bees flying apart from one of the members hives, dead so took a sample of bees to test for Nosema and it was positive.

Tom
In my experience all tests for Nosema have been positive - it's a question of was it heavy enough to be the cause....imo it's contributory

Quite likely I'm wrong

Hi Richard yes I did say at the time of collecting the sample I would not be to surprised if it tested positive. The trick is to determine was the Nosema the cause of the demise of the colony or was it a secondary symptom of the original problem.

The sample was heavily infected unlike another sample I tested the other week from a dead colony that was negative.

Today I finally realised one of my colonies likes a lie in! 3 of the four were flying by midday, but the fourth only started at 14:00. (Not much pollen coming in from any of them though)

I am however pleased that all four have survived the winter so far.

Loads of bees flying today 11.00 until 4ish. At first not much pollen mostly orientation and cleansing flights but after 1.00 the pollen started to roll in. I let out a little sigh of relief, but I'm far from confident that they'll be okay, quite a weak colony. Fingers crossed. :)

Yesterday

Made up 11 folding hive stands and put the finishing touches to the painting of supers and nucs. In the afternoon the bees were bringing in lots of willow and crocus pollen. Still early days....fingers crossed. 100% of the colonies through so far but it is touch and go on a couple.....No more cold spells please....

Last edited:
A very understanding family?? My husband is very helpful- but might groan at that lot.:calmdown:
Love the stands- have to have hive central though? - unless on concrete slabs- they will sink into earth and slowly hives become less level- Mind you with your lot- maybe 2 per stand.
Are all still thriving?
(Happy flying for you too.. lovely weather for that)

No, I put one double brooded stand on each and an AS nuc next to it plus another nuc next to that. I put them on paving slabs to stop any sinking, but one of the apiaries is on very firm ground. Use the AS nucs as an extra source of sealed brood for the producing colonies. the other nuc as a mating hive or build up nuc for assessing mated queens. So far only lost 2 nucs , one where the lid blew off along with its hold down rock before a snow storm and the other got too chilled with too few bees. A very late swarm we collected in late August. Lucky so far but still early days before a flow up here. Hope your bees are well.

Best use for it, although yesterday the tailgate of the pick-up came in more than useful.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I saw a fair number of bees flying yesterday, and there was pollen going in. Maybe I got it wrong and there is a Queen there, just gone off lay, I don't know. I am off to see if I can forage for a frame of BIAS, just to make sure ....

I feel like I CAN'T give up just yet

First proper inspection of the year,3 hives,1 hive still plenty of bees but no sight of a queen,she was marked,but by the sound and way they were behaving there's not one in there.
The other 2 very few bees but queens,if this weather carries on I don't see much chance for them.there were a few eggs on 1 frame in both,I was hoping I could put a frame in the queen less one,but alas no.
Both queen right hives really could do to be moved into nucs,but I have no brood frames with food in,all brood boxes are empty on all my hives the bees are spread within the suppers,which were left on for winter.
I have put fondant on 1 of the hives.
Just how long can winter bees survive ?

First proper inspection of the year,3 hives,1 hive still plenty of bees but no sight of a queen,she was marked,but by the sound and way they were behaving there's not one in there.
The other 2 very few bees but queens,if this weather carries on I don't see much chance for them.there were a few eggs on 1 frame in both,I was hoping I could put a frame in the queen less one,but alas no.
Both queen right hives really could do to be moved into nucs,but I have no brood frames with food in,all brood boxes are empty on all my hives the bees are spread within the suppers,which were left on for winter.
I have put fondant on 1 of the hives.
Just how long can winter bees survive ?

Hi capri,
Winter bees in good health live 6-8 months some say! If you have plenty of bees this time of the year perhaps it is a question of queenie has not started to lay again yet. I very rarely see my queens and when I do it is usually by 'accident'. Have you got pollen going in? Two of my colonies are living on fondant which is OK and the weather is improving for bringing in pollen. Make your own thread and beeks will take you through step by step what to do next, but perhaps very little apart from making sure they have stores at the moment. There is everything to play for!

Still too cold for pulling out frames (12 deg C) so I just had a quick look to check fondant/patty levels.

All 3 colonies had flying bees bringing in pollen (crocus by the looks of it). One hive is on 8 frames, one on 4-5, and one down to about 2 frames as far as I can tell looking down from above.

I'm going to be doing first inspections next weekend as long as the weather behaves as forecast. I'm now pretty sure the small colony is going to be combined with the medium sized one, which has an ageing queen.

Watched bees bringing pollen in.one hive not working only about 100 bees in it, no queen either alive or dead on floor. And another 2 are really small not much hope for them 2 i dont think. The ones that are realy good and bringing lots of pollen are all buckfast types[ ginger bees] losing bees is sad but i suppose im not the only one this year

Watched one hive chucking fondant out of the hive! (There is some pollen substitute in as well so maybe they prefer that?)
Put up some electric fence as one of the hives has been visited by a badger. Also strapped up the hives. Scratch marks on the front of the hive and some slivers of wood missing. It might well have been due to the fondant on the floor and at the front of the hive. I have not had badger issues before.

First Inspection today. I have 2 hives one on single brood and one on double brood. They both had BIAS and the double brood has plenty of stores left but the single brood seems to have more BIAS. I took the opportunity to clip the Queens.

Nice weather for a change so started tidying the apiary, emptied one hive that was lost, woodpeckers left them alone this year bit surprising with all the snow we had. Could be 50% loss but wont know till we get warmer

First inspection of the year for three of my four remaining colonies. All very active today, though not ore than 10, apparently, it felt much warmer as sunny and no wind.

The strongest has a little brood and loads of stores, but it was double brood on a brood and a 14 x 12 and was fed. The next, no brood and little stores and the last no stores or brood. The latter two both have a little fondant left, but I'll have to watch them.

Latest posts

Back