What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked the crown board on my colonies, there are still bees in there clustered and hunkered down, but fingers crossed its Bees 3 Winter 0 (and the pools panel hasn't had to sit yet)...

Last edited:
The entrance blocks on the hives are getting dislodged by the wind gusts so went to wedge them in today. The wind has turned more northerly and is still very chilly but the bees were out and collecting pollen.
So - I can spot bees with pollen (doh!) but is there a way of determining (by the way they fly/hold their legs or something) what the other bees who are out and about are doing?

whats a pools panel (lol)

Well if you'd been watching Grandstand on Saturday afternoon BBC TV in 1962...

... you'd know that with football cancelled because of the weather, a "panel" of pundits would meet and decide what the results should have been ... and those 'results' were used to determine the winners on the 'football pools'. But if I had to explain about the pools and getting 23 and a half points on your coupon, then I'd be as old as VM before I'd finished. (Or at least feeling that old...)

The entrance blocks on the hives are getting dislodged by the wind gusts so went to wedge them in today. The wind has turned more northerly and is still very chilly but the bees were out and collecting pollen.
So - I can spot bees with pollen (doh!) but is there a way of determining (by the way they fly/hold their legs or something) what the other bees who are out and about are doing?

they are bound to fall out if you have your hives on their sides lolnot worthy

Nectar gatherers (and to a lesser extent, I think, water carriers) tend to land heavily - picture an aircraft landing on a conventional aircraft carrier - having come in distinctly tail-heavy.
Orientation flights are quite distinctive.
Poo flights less so ... depending on where you are standing.

You should seek out (you can find it online) Storch's 'classic' (ie a bit old) book "Observations at the Hive Entrance". It should get you thinking, even if you disagree with various bits of reasoning.

Closed up the dead hive with a heavy heart.
Picked the queen off one frame where she was surrounded by just a small knot of bees :grouphug:
She woke up in my hand on the way home......sob!

Put yet more food on my bees today.

Here's a question, if you wanted to a split with a national to a 12*14 could I put a 12*14 brood box ontop? Can't see why not, just want to see if anyone else as done it. I want to move all my stuff to 12*14.

Nectar gatherers (and to a lesser extent, I think, water carriers) tend to land heavily - picture an aircraft landing on a conventional aircraft carrier - having come in distinctly tail-heavy.
Orientation flights are quite distinctive.
Poo flights less so ... depending on where you are standing.

You should seek out (you can find it online) Storch's 'classic' (ie a bit old) book "Observations at the Hive Entrance". It should get you thinking, even if you disagree with various bits of reasoning.

Brilliant - thanks for that :eek:)

Veg - Love the observation link.... :winner1st: Not sure why the picture ended up on its side.... it's the right way up on my computer!

Here's a question, if you wanted to a split with a national to a 12*14 could I put a 12*14 brood box ontop? Can't see why not, just want to see if anyone else as done it. I want to move all my stuff to 12*14.

You can do a Bailey-type comb-change with a 14x12 on top.
Perfectly common operation.
But I wouldn't call it a split.

Or you could slip in a 14x12 conversion eke under the brood box (Maisies under is easier that T's on top), and replace deep frames with jumbos on a rolling programme.
The comb extensions under the frames aren't too difficult to deal with - treat like a topbar hive comb, keep strictly vertical. Only problem is if you allow them to brace between frames, so 14x12's between deeps as soon as possible to minimise that.

// I wouldn't be starting this just yet awhile. And then feed to get that new comb ...

Went up about 9 am when I let the dogs out - all quiet. Checked at midday - sun was shining and all the bees were out - water and pollen coming in including dandelion - quite a few have flowered with us today. Checked again ten minutes ago and they're all back in but a contented hum could be heard from all hives (been cross legged for a while I think)

Cold wind and 7C only barn bees out looking for water. Filled up the cups on the manhole covers as they were empty. Hope some pollen will come in tomorrow.

You can do a Bailey-type comb-change with a 14x12 on top.
Perfectly common operation.
But I wouldn't call it a split.

Or you could slip in a 14x12 conversion eke under the brood box (Maisies under is easier that T's on top), and replace deep frames with jumbos on a rolling programme.
The comb extensions under the frames aren't too difficult to deal with - treat like a topbar hive comb, keep strictly vertical. Only problem is if you allow them to brace between frames, so 14x12's between deeps as soon as possible to minimise that.

// I wouldn't be starting this just yet awhile. And then feed to get that new comb ...

Yeah thanks for that, I've got all the kit ready I just need to wait for spring to start - probably some time in 2015. :(

Your Apidea is at home?
I took her home to store. I read somewhere that if you can't find your queen when you need to that pinning a dead one on a frame top will attract your queen who will try to nobble her.
I thought she was dead.
She is now :(

Coincidence I am about to do the same but in reverse 14x12 down to standard and finally double brood. Good luck with your move.

Back