What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3 hives were busy flying today for maybe 1 hour, quietened down after that though - still too cold for them to stay out for long. However for that hour, they did bring some pollen in (they have both pollen patties and candy).

Hopefully this is the start of some better weather!

Have just revisited my apiary and all flying. A slight drop in wind speed plus Sun out from behind the clouds is all it takes :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

now noticed 3 of the hives will fly around 1~2C the other one waits till 4C
At noon (GMT) enough bees for a warm bright spring day. The bees and the sun hiding the fact it was only 5C.

9c this pm. All hives flying and bringing in crocus? pollen.

Biting wind.

Checked fondant on 1 TBH nuc.. finished. So replaced it..in freezer bag.

Judging by the heat above the topbars under the carpet underlay, there is brood.

Our girls flying today too. Such a lovely sight with bright yellow pollen coming in. Took off the mouse guard for the day as they seemed to be struggling to climb through the holes heavy laden and cold.
Visited my mentor who has kept bees for over 30 years. Has 12 in his care and lost 6. Worst ever summer/autumn/winter losses.
Fingers crossed for our one hive continues to prosper.

Just back from putting Finman's pollen substitute patties on my nearest bees. 3/4 hives bringing in pollen, but only a few bees flying. Surprised any were as it is late and cool - probably about 10C.

All four flying and two bringing in a lot of pollen. PH none that I could see, but is Q+. Put some more fondant on all four some in the nick of time. PH though had lots left. Too well insulated does not know that it is spring? Enjoyed seeing the bees collecting pollen from Scilla on the patio.

Allotment digging. While there, put fondant on three allotment hives....

Stirred the bees enough for them to realise that there was a strange yellow ball of fire in the sky instead of perpetual grey. Two hours later - all digging abandoned to watch bees aplenty and a triple bee line to a nearby pollen bar! Faith restored. :)

Watched both hives bringing in pollen (willow I think) topped up their bee water and shared my mug of tea with an inquisitive bee!!

Reasonably bright day, but cold breeze. Surprised that three colonies are flying to collect water. They keep close to the ground and are sheltered by the house. Too windy to go for pollen.

Went a bit crazy with the cuprinol shades and bought 3 more colours so I finished painting the pollys in the sunshine.
only problem is i now have pains polly supers resembling mr blobby!
Pink honeysuckle and buttercup blast seemed a good idea this morning!
At least all 3 hives were flying and bringing in pollen!

Another warm (8C) afternoon. repeat of yesterday - this time more bees and some orientation flights from my biggest hive..

All hives have stores plus syrup plus some fondant... will check later this week.

checked the fondant on eight hives...3c degrees and light snow in the strong wind, brief glimpse of the sun for 5 minutes,

replaced the roofs on two hives vaanalised at an out apiary, three other were ok but therefore did a further check on another 10 or so hives in the same vicinity that are owned by the assocoation and freinds, but the way the roof had been dropped and postion I think at least a guard be came out LOL

Yesterday it was nice 8c and sunny , today cold again...the london micro climate is supposed to be WARM

Last edited:
Went a bit crazy with the cuprinol shades and bought 3 more colours so I finished painting the pollys in the sunshine.

Old English Green would be less conspicuous ... :)

Took advantage of a cool morning (4C) and strimmed round the hives while all the occupants were abed.

By 10am trhe sun was on the hives and all were active and bringing in loads of pollen (willow and dandelion).

Off topic but can anyone explain :- I thought "dandelion" came from the French "Dent de lion" (teeth of a lion) after the serrations on the leaves. However the French call the dandelion "Pissenlit" :hairpull:

Old English Green would be less conspicuous ... :)
I chose buttercup blast for assocation equipment, on the grounds NO ONE ELSE would use it....now they all going to says, its not the assocations, i borrowed it from ultreen1

Last edited:
Took advantage of a cool morning (4C) and strimmed round the hives while all the occupants were abed.

By 10am trhe sun was on the hives and all were active and bringing in loads of pollen (willow and dandelion).

Off topic but can anyone explain :- I thought "dandelion" came from the French "Dent de lion" (teeth of a lion) after the serrations on the leaves. However the French call the dandelion "Pissenlit" :hairpull:

It's one of many vernacular names in French for Dandelion, there's lot's of them.

Chris

Yes, I did buy Somerset green as well!
I took a picture!
Darren and his amazing technicolor dream hives!
Maple leaf
Summer damson
Forget me not
Somerset green
Buttercup blast
Pink honeysuckle
View attachment 8220

Looks like Graham Norton is going to play the next Dr Who!

At least all 3 hives were flying and bringing in pollen!

Hi ultreen1,
Just blame it on being in touch with your feminine side. Nice clean hives too. Go down well with the ladies. I took one look at mine and decided painting it would not improve its looks!

Latest posts

Back