What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already had a sheet of triple walled polycarbonate panel about 400 mm x 700 mm

So I've use as made a complete framework to match that size for the cover --- and 200 mm deep.....then cut the correx into panels to nail onto both ends, sides and bottom ... like a shallow coffin! then juist botch up a shelf inside using cheapo foil roasting trays to copy thrones £140 one.
I made one years ago out of scaff. plank - on a midummer's day in full sun, the wax
melts within minutes!

With a bit of of luck.......

I use an old D/G unit on mine and it was warm enough yesterday to melt wax!

Russell

Removed small colony that had died out. They swarmed in May and new Quuenwas mated quite quickly (unusually for last year). They superseded her in August and the new one never really got going, so eventually they have run out of bees.

Removed small colony that had died out. They swarmed in May and new Quuenwas mated quite quickly (unusually for last year). They superseded her in August and the new one never really got going, so eventually they have run out of bees.

Hi Black Comb,
As a matter of interest, did she have a good laying pattern before the bees decided to get rid of her?

Seemed OK at the time.
To be honest I was just glad she had mated OK and I would have a viable colony for the winter. How wrong I was.

As the weather is overcast, windy and freeeeezing, I got around to sewing a new 'hood zip' into my bee overalls. Very chuffed, zip cost £3.00.
Mind you, it did take me 2 years to pay for sewing machine from Littlecoed catalogue, 25 years ago. bee-smillie
Bees bringing in golden pollen yesterday. Still looking for a thermometer.

Painted my boxes, two coats, nice deep green.

Started during a rare sunny spell this morning, by midday it was just cold and overcast... But at least the paints dry!

(Or frozen!)

Just back from sorting the bees I have lost one hive plenty of stores in there just a lack of bees, another 3 hives are now looking very week but have lots of stores. I added fondant just incase they fancied it.
Temp was 3Deg today

Last edited:
Brought my sealed dead hive home to have a good look through to check what caused their demise. I strongly suspect starvation due to trying to keep the few eggs warm and not moving to the stores or the fondant on top.

I've put out an empty hive in its place to catch a swarm or fill with a split from one of the others. That's if the weather ever warms up enough to open them.

Admired the fortitude of my lot.
Sunny but only 4.5C in the shade - and all hives flying!
Two bringing in (different coloured) pollen ...

4.5 degrees, no bees flying. One hive is now right down to 2-3 frames of bees; the other two are much better. Added fondant/f**d-bee patties and removed the hard/dry stuff that was left from last time.

When the weather picks up I may combine the small one with my colony which has an oldish (3rd year) queen.....not sure yet

I shall bee up your way next week end and not looking forward to it. Too cold!! Thankfully just, a flying visit

Dont worry the sun is out and the temperature hit 3c today. About the third day in a row its been above freezing.

Been out cutting brambles etc. Once the blood starts flowing it feels just like a summers day. The weather ain't so bad...if you don't have snow

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Russel

I use an old D/G unit on mine and it was warm enough yesterday to melt wax!

That looks good - but what's a D/G ?

I've been painting the ekes with an entrance that I ordered. Idea is that I'll use them with estate agent board to vertically split boxes that are about to swarm so that I don't have to carry lots of spare kit in the car when I go to out apiaries. Just realised that if I cut some 'doors' for them that can either be in open or closed position, I can use them as normal ekes too.

Fruit trees just coming into blossom and my bees are bring back pollen from them. My bees are mongrels, not sure what their closest relation is but they are braving the chill breeze.
View attachment 8217View attachment 8218

Last edited:
Just been down putting one to one syrup on hives! Bees were lethargic , I expected more of a reaction to disturbance, one colony surprised me as it is usually a feisty lot and was bucketing pollen in 3 weeks ago! Temp ATM is around 5/6c the sun has just come out but I'm back home now !
I'll wait until it's a bit warmer before doing a proper check on what's happening as there's little I can do at this juncture . The 1 to1 should keep them going !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back