What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same as R den D, full sunshine but only +8C and snow still lying in the shaded areas. All garden colonies (9) flying and bringing in pollen, a lot collecting water too.

Hi all,
None of mine out today as it is very cold. Apparently, tomorrow it is going to be 8C so should see them out. Been in for 8 days, so time for some cleansing I should think. I had my ear to all the hives, so here is hoping that they survive the nite!

All colonies out in force today, no observable income . very,very cold but the brilliant sunshine took the edge of the NE draught!
Spent the afternoon bottling honey, only about 60lbs left to bottle.
Roll on Springtime !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely day and 10 Celsius at times. All 3 colonies were flying but no pollen coming in, all tucking into their fondant. Removed mouse guards & winter strapping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Remember "March brings breezes loud and shrill"
:D
VM

Anyone in the Chichester area the bees should have a pollen feast as the all cherry trees are in flower in the Kingsham ave area, looked a wonderful sight as i was cycling down there to the station from work today in the sunshine.

As long as they're not double flowered Japanese hybrids !
These have no pollen !
VM

Cherries are some weeks away from flowering here...the Apricots are first and will start this week.

Chris

7C and sunny yesterday.
Fondant fed 2 nucs and 2 large TBHs.. (fun)

One TBH flying in Jan had water leaks in roof: all dead.

Apart from that, all well...

No Blossom here.

Anyone in the Chichester area the bees should have a pollen feast as the all cherry trees are in flower in the Kingsham ave area, looked a wonderful sight as i was cycling down there to the station from work today in the sunshine.

Blimey, not even a sign of buds on my cherry tree yet.
BUT next Tuesday its going to 'bee' 12c in Kent. watch out housewives putting out your white sheets to dry. "BEE POO" by the bucket load forecast.:sunning:
Bob.

Forecast is 12C in Wigan this afternoon ,sun has been shining since the crack of dawn ,down side is there was a heavy frost over night!
VM

Blimey, not even a sign of buds on my cherry tree yet.
BUT next Tuesday its going to 'bee' 12c in Kent. watch out housewives putting out your white sheets to dry. "BEE POO" by the bucket load forecast.:sunning:
Bob.

I was at Kew end of March last year and the cherry tree's were in full bloom. Bee's were feasting in numbers.

You have a couple more weeks with a gradual increase in daylight hours and temperature.

My cherry tree (TaiHaku) has tiny buds emerging and too the almond tree.

You have a couple more weeks with a gradual increase in daylight hours and temperature.

Not sure about all that, I'm in south west France and still a few weeks away from cherry blossom like what I said.

Chris

Weather down here has been pants today. temp didnt get above 5.5c and was cloudy all day.

Im really hoping for some warm weather in the next few days as want to get up and check all hives are still flying after their move.

Same here, and drizzling, but there were some very hardy (silly) bees flying.

Hi all,
Well, yesterday actually. All hives out foraging phew! Not so much pollen because it was a bit cold for them, but desperate after 8 days in. The hive with very little stores were frantic bringing in water, so I assume they are working the fondant? Next count down till Tuesday and 12C. Roll on spring!

Omf

OMF day today built 4 new floors. but not installing trays with the new design, only the odd one will have a tray for monitoring the Varroa drop from now on.
Going to increase to 50 Hives this year. Problem is I already have orders for at least 15 Nucs. Going to be a VERY busy Spring for me this year my 75th on this planet. But doing my bit for the Bees.
Bob.

Update on Forecast

Long range forecast looks good, From Monday 4th. Every day will be +10 Every day. In Kent that is, some Rain, but temps staying up and good enough to get those queens into "top gear" and lay, lay, lay.
So today tidy up around the home Apiary, get rid of the weeds, as its going to be a no go area soon, without protection.
Just seen all that Snow in Japan. All 15 feet of it, see BBC video. My roof would not survive that weight.
Bob.

Long range forecast looks good, From Monday 4th. Every day will be +10 Every day. In Kent that is, some Rain, but temps staying up and good enough to get those queens into "top gear" and lay, lay, lay.

Hi Bob - I hate to be a 'party-pooper', but that's not the forecast from my source. The message seems to be that we can enjoy a few good days of +10, then there's a return to cold winds from the north-east. There's also a possibility of Kent getting a cold blast towards the end of March.

Of course, it could turn out to be a different story (here's hoping ... ), as it's British weather we're talking about !

Here's my source:
http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

and here's today's long-range forecast on YouTube:

'best
LJ

Latest posts

Back