What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long range forecast looks good, From Monday 4th. Every day will be +10 Every day. In Kent that is, some Rain, but temps staying up and good enough to get those queens into "top gear" and lay, lay, lay.
So today tidy up around the home Apiary, get rid of the weeds, as its going to be a no go area soon, without protection.
Just seen all that Snow in Japan. All 15 feet of it, see BBC video. My roof would not survive that weight.
Bob.

It's not called Rainham for nothing :spy:

Froze.
Cazza

You're not bl##dy kidding - I've resorted to repairing/painting a few boxes in front of the fire in the lounge ...

... and so have also painted the kitchen door, as a cover story. ;)

LJ

5c, drizzle sometimes in the wind.

Just lifted the insulation and looked through the clear crown boards.
All still got fondant. All clusters somewhat visible on the topbars with the fondant.
Just left them to it.

Really want a warm day to look at some frames and see just how little they have left ... two of the hives are too light for my liking.

An increased amount of capping wax below the hives. Certainly cracking open the barrel and downing it.

:cheers2:

You're not bl##dy kidding - I've resorted to repairing/painting a few boxes in front of the fire in the lounge ...

... and so have also painted the kitchen door, as a cover story. ;)

LJ

Wouldn't wash in our house - 'er indoors knows the difference between a hive and a door ! Believe me, I've tried ... got as far as the kitchen with some hive parts glued and cramped looking for warmth ... got the cold shoulder big time !

Last edited:
Built more hive stands and enquired about an out apiary at a couple of new locations.

Wouldn't wash in our house - 'er indoors knows the difference between a hive and a door ! Believe me, I've tried ... got as far as the kitchen with some hive parts glued and cramped looking for warmth ... got the cold shoulder big time !

What is it about other halves?
Mine doesn't mind beekeeping equipment lying about....The amount I buy is another matter.
When I was a child my dad was forever dismantling and tinkering about with his motorbike in the kitchen and he kept his fishing maggots in the fridge. Now that WAS something to complain about

She's just got back (late shift) "I can smell paint ..."

"... oh I see, you've painted that door at last".

Got away with it :hurray:

The moral being: always have something around the house that needs a coat of paint, as it covers up the smell of propolis a treat.

LJ

She's just got back (late shift) "I can smell paint ..."

"... oh I see, you've painted that door at last".

Got away with it :hurray:

The moral being: always have something around the house that needs a coat of paint, as it covers up the smell of propolis a treat.

LJ

Mine can smell a plot to hide something five miles away as she leaves work!

... I work on a points sytem ... this weekend I have to mend the broken tumble dryer (that ranks only second after the washing maching breaking down to promote commencement of divorce proceedings) and repair the leaking pipe under the kitchen sink. This will earn me an indeterminate number of points that can be exchanged for turning a blind eye to the purchase of new tools, beekeeping equipment and other such items to fuel my various hobbies. Of course, wrong answers to questions like 'does my bum look big in this' can result in an instant removal of all accrued points ... for an indeterminate period of time ...

Just let them buy shoes mate thats what i do then you have bargaining power lol

and he kept his fishing maggots in the fridge. Now that WAS something to complain about

The only problem with doing that is to leave them (or live mealworms) in the fridge, and turn it off when you go away for a week.

Gutted just been down to my aipary today. I've not been out of the house for at least 6 weeks due to back problems. I had feed on all 4 hives and all looked well in the new year. A friend last week told me all the hives were active. So I wasn't particularly worried.
I think that was probably due to some robbing going on.
2 hives dead,doesn't look like disease or starvation,I will have to look closer next week when I'm able too. Down to the cold I think only small clusters.
The other too hives looked healthy enough,I just had a quick peep as its warm here today,I also put some more candy on too keep them going. Need to start thinking about getting hives cleaned and think about splitting on of my bigger colonies.
Right where did I put my burner. :(

Saw bee working the heather in my back garden so went up to the apiary - all four hives bringing pollen in. One was a lot busier at the front door than the others (and now Pete's post has me thinking!) but it's a hive with a smaller entrance than the other three so maybe (hopefully) it was just a bit of a traffic jam.

Loss to Asian Hornets?

I could be facing my first colony loss to the Asian Hornet.

I noticed the mouseguard was almost blocked with dead bees and as it was quite warm (+10C) decided to do a quick floor change. In total there was about a cup full of dead bees and SIX dead Asian hornets:hairpull:

To my knowledge this is the first time they have actually got into the hive, usually there is a ding dong battle on the alighting board. The colony is still alive and taking fondant, if the weather improves it may survive but it is 50:50

lost another hive,DLQ.That makes it 4 hives and 4 nucs,hope thats the last.

Just let them buy shoes mate thats what i do then you have bargaining power lol

Sorry Veg, I'm not interested in shoes and I can buy as many pairs as I like with my money!

Went on a girly shopping trip today to the "big city" ( ahem, Norwich!.) Came back with a fire bucket with lid for my smoker. Now that's what I call a decent shoe.
Cazza

I could be facing my first colony loss to the Asian Hornet.

I noticed the mouseguard was almost blocked with dead bees and as it was quite warm (+10C) decided to do a quick floor change. In total there was about a cup full of dead bees and SIX dead Asian hornets:hairpull:

To my knowledge this is the first time they have actually got into the hive, usually there is a ding dong battle on the alighting board. The colony is still alive and taking fondant, if the weather improves it may survive but it is 50:50

Surely they will have been Queens and not really an issue overwinter?

Chris

Latest posts

Back