What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took advantage of the cold snap and moved one hive away from the new pig run! Don't want the pigs getting stung during inspections!

Over the last week I set up a new apiary, taking advantage of having the halfterm holiday and the weather being warm at the beginning. Moved the bees today and damn it was cold, snowing continously all afternoon (just not enough for it to settle). Had a sign on the car (caution live bees in transit) was fantastic to see no one tailgated me and even funnier when they were in the outside lane they even dropped back and didnt want to overtake.

When I finally opened up the bees after moving them a few grumpy ones came out and had a ping at me lucky I was suited and booted.

The pics are start to finnish of the site.

nope its a crop field. no access to anyone except the farmer. nearest gate is about 500m up the lane.

nice apiary, a bit of gorse for some early pollen, do you have to trek 500m to get to the hives ?

Nope i have access to it from a locked gate at the entrance(which i am the only keyholder), it is a disused chalk quarry. this is the views from the gate i go through.

Last edited:
best not to post too many pics mate as you may well give the exact location away.

dpearce4 - as I can see You are on good run of clearing and excellent job You did, just to mention that I have some "jungle" over here to clear..:)

dpearce4 - as I can see You are on good run of clearing and excellent job You did, just to mention that I have some "jungle" over here to clear..:)

shame i have to go to work tomorrow goran :sunning:

Damn, I should know there is catch..:)

Anyway glad to see You did the great job, I hope Your heart is full after You did it all as You planned.

Having just seen the long range weather forecast I put fondant onto my hives - ruddy winter will it ever end? Fingers crossed though - there are (living) bees in all of my hives still :)

Last edited:
Was called to do a small colony in a roof they had to be removed, found the queen fingers crossed for them but don't hold out much hope.

Been and checked the fondant situation as I know it's much too cold for them to get out and about. Still some fondant left in the pack, some bees up in it and no dead bodies on the floor when I looked through the entrance.

Weeded around the hives and cut back some overhanging trees. So much easier to do when it's minus two and the ladies aren't out objecting to the activity!

Back