What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked around noon. Ladies happily flying around. Glad they've survived my first winter of beekeeping so far. :) Popped some fondant in, as the week ahead is supposed to be a bit colder.

Lots of bees out in the sun this morning.
Amazingly there seemed to be some orientation flights, some tail-down nectar-loaded approaches and some pollen going in.
While I know its not spring yet, I'm not so sure about what they think is happening.

Just come back from allotment where I have my 2 colonies and noticed that they were flying out two at a time, then I realised they were carrying out the dead. Is this normal as this is my first season???

Ps love the advice you get on this forum inspires confidence

:thanks:

Went and checked on one site with an excuse so I could watch the bees. My TBH and over wintering TBH nuc were flying the strongest with a good bit of pollen entering. My double brood hive was also flying and pollen entering, but a fourth hive on the site (not my hive) very quiet with no activity, the owner did say last week that she was a bit concerned and perhaps she was right to have been so.

bee shed

Started to build an extension to the bee shed, soon be looking for a warehouse, perhaps theres an old Focus store somewhere, that would be big enough perhaps !!!!!!!!!!

Dave W

My 3 colonies were all out flying today and pooed on me as I walked passed. Village Girl’s colony that as wintered at mine were also out flying though The little cast swarm of hers are not doing to well. They had used all there stores and managed to get separated from the fondant. So put them into a poly nuke and fondant put on top bars above them. Would have introduced them to another hive but as the queen was still alive and they have been fighters decided against it. So poly has also been insulated.

Also today I have received 4 new 14x12 hives and eight supers ready for the new season. So big thank you to Paul at Yorkshire Bee—ves.

Lots of bees out in the sun this morning.
Amazingly there seemed to be some orientation flights, some tail-down nectar-loaded approaches and some pollen going in.
While I know its not spring yet, I'm not so sure about what they think is happening.

Same here in Sussex. Quite a few colonies brooding strongly judging by MASSIVE orientation flights. Those are the ones to keep out an eye for - I say this for any beginners reading this - they are the first to get stressed when the weather turns cold again.

Saw many bees on crocus and snowdrops - very heartening sight!

Same here in Sussex. Quite a few colonies brooding strongly judging by MASSIVE orientation flights. Those are the ones to keep out an eye for - I say this for any beginners reading this - they are the first to get stressed when the weather turns cold again.

Saw many bees on crocus and snowdrops - very heartening sight!

Keep eye on and do what?

All colonies out flying today and all bringing in pollen and looking very strong. White, cream, yellow and red!? Red pollen? I guess someone in the village has some exotic plant or shrub. The noise was amazing. Almost sends me to sleep:)

Keep eye on and do what?

.... eye on stores running out; check landing platforms for larvae thrown out etc, - obviously you try and keep an eye on all your colonies, but the ones heavily into breeding even more so.

Checked hives to see if fondant needed renewing. My nuc. with the five legged queen (one back leg damaged in transit last year and hence a poor layer), looked to have died out. Opened it up and blow me down there she was in a small cluster at the bottom of the centre frame. Quickly closed up and hoped that they survive. It's a poly nuc. so it may work its magic.

bees out and about, quick look to check fondant still abit left, how long do you go on feeding this stuff?

Fondant

bees out and about, quick look to check fondant still abit left, how long do you go on feeding this stuff?

Until they stop eating it is best advice, from now on is the danger time, for another month yet they could still easily starve.
Bob

Just back from the apiary 3 pm.
Bees flying in the mild conditions. Holly trees have arrived (turned out to be pot grown)
I've back filled the two trenches with a mixture of well rotted horse muck and leaf mouldy top soil!
Stuck the trees upright in the box whence they came ,watered them ,taped the box flaps upright and draped with some fleece. I'll let soil settle for a while. Before planting !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back from the bees lost 1 hive but I knew that one didn't have a queen. All hives have lots of stores though.

HI my name is jonny and i am from Romania,I want to make exchange of experience online, if anyone's interested, and I have many questions.
1 what is the price of honey in uk?
2 How many types of honey do you have in uk,and other questions
Is enyone interested?

Back