What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my stand. Also painted the last poly box, converting them from typical Mediterranean blue to something resembling dazzle camouflage.

Checked on my hive's good weight after checking with scales so didnt add any more fondant. They've definitely been out and about as could see a bee with yellow pollen on the floor in front of one hives.

Wasn't impressed in my shed though as I got my nuc out to check only to find mice poo in it, I didnt block up the holes in the swienty poly nuc and they managed to get in through that. Set some raco blocks up and managed to get one of them overnight. Im sure there's more though glad my foundation is clear storage boxes!

Finally the rain has stopped and we have had 2 warm sunny days, with some more to come. Bees piling in with pollen - but almost gone through the 2.5kg emergency bag of fondant. Will be putting another one on in the next couple of days, which I hope will see them through until some forage appears!

Ice on the pond for the last two days, gone today. Had a quick look under the quilt two ladies had found the fondant. Closed up quickly. No outside activity apart from me and a few pigeons.

Last edited:
Finally the rain has stopped and we have had 2 warm sunny days, with some more to come. Bees piling in with pollen - but almost gone through the 2.5kg emergency bag of fondant. Will be putting another one on in the next couple of days, which I hope will see them through until some forage appears!

How long did they take? (I am wondering if mine need some more.)

Ice on the pond for the last two days, gone today. Had a quick look under the quilt two ladies had found the fondant. Closed up quickly. No outside activity apart from me and a few pigeons.

Always manage to resist the temptation to interfere with colonies at inappropriate times of the year.
Pre Varroa , I never once lifted a crown board between October and March/April.
Varroa treatment is a calculated risk but curiosity is no excuse for upsetting the dynamics of the hive at a time when the colony is least able to tolerate it!
VM.
Nothing personal just advising caution!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long did they take? (I am wondering if mine need some more.)

The Dordogne (if that's where nikca's hives are) is quite a way south of Essex, so local conditions aren't likely to be the same. ;)

Found lots of dead bees at the entrance behind the mouse guard. Went to take a peak inside and was quickly attacked by several guards who emerged from the entrance. So obviously some and still alive and well inside!

The Dordogne (if that's where nikca's hives are) is quite a way south of Essex, so local conditions aren't likely to be the same. ;)

:iagree:
I'm not far from nikca, yet mine have only just started nibbling the fondant

Um... sorry for the slow reply - as this is in "What did you do" I wasn't really expecting a question!

Firstly its a big ish colony - 6 seams in a 14x12 - and I wasn't happy they were heavy enough back in November. When I added a 60mm Kingspan panel on top of the crownboard I cut a fondant bag spaced hole in it, with a removable top. The fondant bag has a small hole above the porter escape hole so the bees have a short walk from the top of the cluster to the fondant - but its nice and warm in the insulation. This arrangement means I can lift the roof, then lift the kingspan centre cover and look at fondant bag... They started on it in early Jan, and took all of Jan to get 1/3 way through it. Since first week of Feb they have almost finished it - which suggests to me they are either being too lazy to go find stores with the convenient fondant or they have little left. It's probably not in any books but they seem to be ok judging from the activity today (12 degrees but wall to wall sun). Yellow and white pollen coming in un lumps! :)

Last edited:
Quote: Since first week of Feb they have almost finished it - which suggests to me they are either being too lazy to go find stores with the convenient fondant or they have little left. It's probably not in any books but they seem to be ok judging from the activity today (12 degrees but wall to wall sun). Yellow and white pollen coming in un lumps! :)Unquote

Another reason for the rapid disappearance of fondant at this time of year is that the queen has started to lay and they are feeding brood. A colony can go very quickly from adequate stores to starving. February the danger month!!

What a dilemma!

I treated myself to a new car recently, to comfort me in my declining years.

It's Superb! My pride and joy.

Today, it's covered in bee poo!

How do I react?
Pleased that the girls are alive, well and thriving?
Or p*ssed off about my car?

Dusty.

a busy day in north hants

picture.php

Spring !
For several days now (14 to 19 Feb) I counted 10 pollen arrivals in 10 seconds.
It may be mimosa time in the S of France. So exciting!

Topped up the fondant on those hives that needed it - all the bees out flying and bringing in pollen but the hive with the 'Welsh blacks' in was exceptionally busy with them really crowding the entrance (full length nderfloor entrance - don't see any need in reducing)

Just back from planting trees.
I've covered with fleece as many as I could the rest will have to take their chance until I can get some more!
Last evening I put my wellies in a tub of water to dislodge the mud on them! This morning they were truly frozen in! Must have been a hell of a cold night ?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frost overnight but at last some decent sunshine with no wind.
All hives busy
You could hear the bees on the crocuses in the garden from 20 feet away

Back