What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to look at girls today as 12C, had to come back and put bee suit on! as so many bees in the air, good to see all three hives are flying and bringing in pollen.bee-smillie

All hives flying today - very pleased to see that.

Noticed that that the uninsulated crown board of one (arrived late in the year, so didn't get around to modding it) had water on it's underside. New pennies placed under two corners (no matchsticks handy !) - which can stay in place for the next few days, until I source some EPS. The residents seem happy enough, so no worries.

LJ

Lovely to see a bee frenzy today. Pollen and water collection in force. makes my heart glad.
Cazza

Yep, sobered up... went to check bees- all hives flying as first decent day. Bit concerned as I moved hives 30' 5 weeks ago to tidy up apiary and lot of bees hanging around old site of a hive.. hope they get back to hive ok..

Mist with drizzle/rain and not a bee in sight:svengo: The forecast is better for the weekend.

Weighed all the hives, a couple are getting a bit light and will get some fondant when (if) the weather improves.

On a lighter note Spring must be just around the corner the first group of Cranes were seen (and heard) flying North yesterday:hurray:

Hi all,
All hives in a frenzy today. Even the PH. They are desperately trying to find some pollen. Not much about, but saw one with the first hazel pollen! Do they get nectar from anything at the moment?

been and gave them some fondant quite a lot of them flying out checked my nuc still got plenty of food had a peep under crown board and they are buzzing well

Damp and miserable outside

Most of the snow gone and a bit warmer. went to have a quick look but I think too damp to open up. One dead drone on the Alighting/flight board.

Yep, sobered up... went to check bees- all hives flying as first decent day. Bit concerned as I moved hives 30' 5 weeks ago to tidy up apiary and lot of bees hanging around old site of a hive.. hope they get back to hive ok..

No, they won't. You will have to scoop them up and put them by the new position.

Had a quick peek under crown boards to check on fondant. Both hives have taken at least 3/4 down. Lots of bees flying today. Lovely to see.

Only 2 out of the 4 hives busy today – we still have snow on the ground but generally warmer today.

Peeked under fondat, bees alive and taken about a golf ball size, none seen flying though.

Dead out

Took advantage of a sunny spell here nr Chester today unfortunatly found one hive gone to the great beekeeper in the sky. Not suprised as I should have united it with another smaller colony which died out earlier. You live and learn (well they didnt), but i will for this year. Five left and seem to be ok with some flying today.
Dave W

10c sunny at 1 pm and all four hives were out in force..... Saffron, yellow, grey and pure white pollen going in.

all 4 hives doing well even the 2 late swarms i caught are doing well all flying today and plenty of fondant on so i am very pleased with my first season i have just got to remember not to get to big for my boots and smug lol

Slipped and fell on a sheet of black ice yesterday morning. Broken a couple of bones in the right hand and am now plastered up from fingers to just below elbow for a few weeks. Now that should make for an interesting time should the weather improve in time for first inspections before the plaster comes off!

Slipped and fell on a sheet of black ice yesterday morning. Broken a couple of bones in the right hand and am now plastered up from fingers to just below elbow for a few weeks. Now that should make for an interesting time should the weather improve in time for first inspections before the plaster comes off!

A few years ago I had an op on first the right and then the left hand (leaving time to recover between both). SWMBO had to help me 'dress' each day.....

........which was nice

She did suggest a Kaftan - but I didn't think it would suit her :D

Wishing you well and good luck in finding an understudy.

Latest posts

Back