What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More like the doghouse than apiary - decided to order more frames from Thornes (as stores, and in case anyone in the association was caught short) Thought I'd paid by paypal.................. just got a text from SWMBO - Gill just phoned up with a reminder they hadn't received payment yet :eek: Luckily it's my birthday in a week or so!, at least i won't have to smuggle these into the chamber of secrets - unlike the package last week from CWJ and the first package from Thornes the week before :D

Thursday, treated with OA. Both hives have bees much to my amazement as I hadn't seen any about for ages. Fingers crossed they make it.

Checked the varroa inserts on 6 hives in my out apiary - 15 days after OA.

result:- 1 yes one mite in one hive all the rest clear but loads of mice droppings (mesh is intact and mouse guards are secure)

Question:- do mice eat varroa mites as well a wax debris?

Wood mice will eat small insects, more so in winter if other food is in short supply but if scavenging they will just munch up whatever's there.

Chris

Had three Apidea's with top feeders arrive this morning from B-- Eq-ipped, which were nearly £10 cheaper than Pains can do them and they would not even price match. Why is that?

bees flying (ahh thats better) thought i seen one with pollen, kept looking did not see any more so i must get my eyesight checked,checked on fondant three quarters eaten will make some more for tomorrow

Watched bees flying in the sunshine then queuing up to get back into the hive. Also watched them inside the hive via beecam - very busy.

Checked my hives today - all OK, some taking a comfort break (a few not making it back), some tucking into fondant.

Nothing.
A combined 20cms of snow and although it is melting it is very very damp and cold..

Watched bees flying in the sunshine then queuing up to get back into the hive. Also watched them inside the hive via beecam - very busy.

Mine were also flying today, 9C. Tell me more about this beecam? What is it, how does it work?

I got it for Christmas and hubby set it up: small infra-red camera inside hive, above crownboard. It took a bit of adjustment to get the focus and direction right. A cable links it to our TV so we can watch the bees on the TV. It has been very useful during the last few weeks. This is my first season and only one colony so I'm desperate to do everything I can to help the bees through winter. Being able to check that they are still moving without opening the hive is reassurance enough.

I also got another camera which I intend to set up outside the hive so I can watch the bees going in and out - and see if there are any other visitors.

It does help to have the hive very close to the house

Any chance you could put a link up of where you got it from?

Had a look at the girls, I think they're starving or dead .. all the brood is gone. In the vain hope some ladies are still alive I put in some sugar fondant. fingers crossed. :hairpull:

Today I visited my Hives to find the Bees out flying in the mild sunny weather.
I was able to do add some fondant to each Hive, and in doing so could witness they were all alive.

Had a look at the girls, I think they're starving or dead .. all the brood is gone. In the vain hope some ladies are still alive I put in some sugar fondant. fingers crossed. :hairpull:

Hi Niall,
how do you know the brood is all gone, shouldnt be pulling frames out at this time.
Keep them fed and warm
ie heft and feed accordingly and house them in an appropiate sized box or dummied down so they can keep warm.
Pete D

Hi all,
Took the inspection boards off which were on two of my hives. Wooden one nice and dry, PH wet with syrup. No sign of varroa after OA before Christmas, but that does not mean they have not got any! All busy with cleansing flights in the sunshine. Will be checking to see if they are bringing in any pollen this afternoon if the weather holds.

Latest posts

Back