What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scraped the wax and propolis off the QEs and then sterilised them with a blow torch. Cold old job

Took advantage of the snow and cold and very gently relocated my brothers 2 hives a couple of hundred metres
Pete D

Did nothing in the apiary today but got a result for it as wife has agreed to four new hives plus supers for next season. Oh and a new HF radio, antenna and an ATU. Its Christmas again yay.

Visited hives - all ok. Lots of snow here in north Hampshire, looked very Xmas card.

Last edited:
Stood in minus 1 and watched silly little B flying round looking at snow
Warmed up another B off landing board only to fly off into oblivian
Silly girls .....

Well, for a difference of your place our bees went out today ( also for pollen). I just enjoy watching them. Strong, warm south wind melted snow. Pictures are from today.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I don't know if this is going to work. This is a picture of one of my hives today. Question, is it well insulated, the bees are working at optimum metabolic rate to keep warm or are they dying?

It didn't work. How do I upload a picture?

Last edited:
Click on the reply button and on top of the text box you will see a paperclip symbol, click on it choose a file and click upload submit reply ...... job done

Saw that the snow had blocked the entrance to the hive so cleared it away. Put a stick in the entrance to sweep any dead bees away.
A few seconds after 4 bees flew out and fell into the snow a few feet in fron tg the hive.
Daft bugger here tried to save them as they were still alive but the snow must have chilled thema little. Put 3 of them back onto the landing board. One didnt make it.

At least they are still looking after the place

Phill

Hi Redwood,
Hope it works this time. Had to resize too as the file was to large.

Checked to see if any of the fondant had been touched on a hive that didnt seem to take much syrup, and its marching through it. Also put quilts on the hives too.

If you have OMF's it's probably better to leave the snow over the entrance, rather pointless removing it. I never do, in fact I haven't seen some of my hives since October - it's winter.

Chris

Well, for a difference of your place our bees went out today ( also for pollen). I just enjoy watching them. Strong, warm south wind melted snow. Pictures are from today.

beautiful pictures

Latest posts

Back