What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a phobia of parasites which probably flavours my opinion

I find the role of parasites in evolution quite fascinating but I understand they can give people the creeps. It's quite remarkable just how many parasites there are that mainly go unnoticed.

In the apiary? It's still winter here.

Cheers,
Chris

Braver man than me !!! I was under about 18 layers today.

Wasn't intentional - just rushed out of the house and only realised when I waas at the top of the garden, too late to go back then (I only thought we'd be a few minutes!!

Snow and now slushy .........

Well that was a surprise - 2-3 inches of snow this morning. Went shopping before the hoards emptied the shelves. Stuck cars, lorries etc. on the roads - 4x4 we got through (smug moment)!

Anyway, OA applied one week ago - have today put the boards under the hives so I can count the drop. Cleared the entrances and put an ear to both hives to listen to the hum - loud and clear..........

Last edited:
Not sure how bees are. 80cm snow at the apiary so far this week. OH rescued several stranded cars on steep hill on way back from doing the shopping. winter tyres and diff lock are wonderful things.

Grit boxes ;)
Sorry could not resist

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:Hah Hah

Got back from ski fest last night to a snowy scene. Keeping my ski thermals on today.

Had to defrost the beeshed lock this morning. Put boards over entrances to hives which is probably useless but makes me feel caring.

Cazza

Put boards over entrances to hives which is probably useless but makes me feel caring.

Cazza

Oh I don't know. Last winter, when the sun came out lots of my bees took a look outside to fall and die on the snow. It was like somebody had scattered currants about. I put boards over yesterday

With snow drifting in our back garden to over 20cms, I had to clear entrances on one warre and one TBH (no not drifted that high but wind blwon accumulation over entrances).

Still snowing so left hurridly.

:thanks:

The whole box was purple and the other blue to start with then I realised you could see them from the road where I used to live so they were repainted brown or green :( as soon as they were vacant. I seem to have missed that one super.
Other supers were yellow,orange and light green.....a bit "Heidiesque ;)

Purple ?

Emperor Bees of course?

Hi all,
Lucky to have my hives in the garden. Yday, could hear them all humming, so know they are alive under the snow cover. Counted 10 dead in the snow - silly girls. More snow is falling at the moment - earlier than forecast. Better go and get my snow shovel. Might need to dig myself out at this rate!

Checked beecam. Bees clustered. Saw enough movement to know they are alive. I sometimes see one or two bees 'flapping' their wings (do bees flap their wings?). Is this to generate heat, move heat around ............?

Had a quick check around the apiary, cleared some ice from the landing boards no sign of movement from the hives but plenty of fresh debris underneath - looks like brood cappings from a few bees emerging

Oh god I hope my insulation is working and mine are not dead

They should be absolutely fine if they were strong and healthy and the hive is dry. Try to stop worrying.
Cazza

I sometimes think that reading this forum is like reading a medical one. You end up feeling that you have every problem raised. How my bees made it through
last winter I'll never know. They'll never get through this one. They'll die of cold, starvation, damp, disease (have I missed anything?).

Oh, I forgot, attack by rats, woodpeckers, badgers, grey squirrels, muntjaq, vandals, the man from the council......

I sometimes think that reading this forum is like reading a medical one. You end up feeling that you have every problem raised. How my bees made it through
last winter I'll never know. They'll never get through this one. They'll die of cold, starvation, damp, disease (have I missed anything?).

Oh, I forgot, attack by rats, woodpeckers, badgers, grey squirrels, muntjaq, vandals, the man from the council......

:iagree: everything's fine 'till i read some of the posts on here

Latest posts

Back