What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a couple of open mesh floors to Graham Whites diagrams , modified slightly to allow more bee space under brood frames :conehead:

John Wilkinson

i have one on my weakest colony and it is very defend able against wasps,

but even that caused a problem as being no guards out front to stop wasps activity around that hive , it became the hive that was attacked by Hornets who snatching the bees in mid flight just outside the hive. I assume becasue they felt they had a wasp free space and no guards fighting on the front

Lake Trinidad asphalt is a natural product after all?

John Wilkinson

i have one on my weakest colony and it is very defend able against wasps,

but even that caused a problem as being no guards out front to stop wasps activity around that hive , it became the hive that was attacked by Hornets who snatching the bees in mid flight just outside the hive. I assume becasue they felt they had a wasp free space and no guards fighting on the front
We Shall have to see ;).
I don't see the need for such a large area of mesh space being compromised by having the entrance slot at the 3rd frame ?
I also require more than a single bee space beneath the frames , the undertakers need room to remove dead bees with ease ?

John Wilkinson

I also require more than a single bee space beneath the frames , the undertakers need room to remove dead bees with ease ?

John Wilkinson

the first time i used it , built as the plan with little extra bees pace under the frames, i killed the queen so added a 18mm up-stand to give same bee space floor to frame as above a normal floor

After what was an awful weekend, for various reasons,
today things were good.
The sun shone
The Bees in my garden were out flying,
and I was able to spend some time having a tidy up of some of my equipment.
You cant get much better than that :)

spent the afternoon helping a newbie ( ELY) put together his first hive.

Just sat in bee shed with a cup of tea and watched bees bringing in lots of pollen. Lovely.
:coolgleamA:

ordered some aliminium sheets from fr**ile pl**et for roofs of hives I am going to build, also split some pallets to make some hive stands, made a couple of (eaks)

some aliminium sheets

Hope you realise they are nowhere near as thick as they say. They initially advertised them as 'about one millimetre' thick then revised it to about xero point five when they were actually told they were only about zero point three of a millimetre thick. They did not tell the truth by a factor of three and are now still exaggerating by 'about sixty percent!

If they have a stack of a hundred of these sheets or perhaps a thousand, it cannot be too difficult to measure the thickness of the stack quite accurately. Yes, they are very misleading at the least, and at the worst downright ..... .

RAB

some aliminium sheets

Hope you realise they are nowhere near as thick as they say. They initially advertised them as 'about one millimetre' thick then revised it to about xero point five when they were actually told they were only about zero point three of a millimetre thick. They did not tell the truth by a factor of three and are now still exaggerating by 'about sixty percent!

If they have a stack of a hundred of these sheets or perhaps a thousand, it cannot be too difficult to measure the thickness of the stack quite accurately. Yes, they are very misleading at the least, and at the worst downright ..... .

RAB

May as well use kitchen foil!:)

spent the afternoon helping a newbie ( ELY) put together his first hive.

Just made 15 home made frames for a Tanzanian TBH, now is that a contradiction in terms?:)

I use one of these when I want to measure to close limits. Have it in my pocket whenever in the workshop, much better than the traditional ones that need good eyesight. Quick flip from imperial to metric :hurray:

41KSj4crIpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Available for under a tenner bee-smillie
S

I use one of these when I want to measure to close limits. Have it in my pocket whenever in the workshop, much better than the traditional ones that need good eyesight. Quick flip from imperial to metric :hurray:

41KSj4crIpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Available for under a tenner bee-smillie
S
At the engineering company I worked for ,these were known as vernier gauges !
In local dialect this was pronounced Varnier > which happens to be the local word for Very near :smash:.

John W.

was talking to someone called simonthebeekeeper the other day and he sells those printer sheets very reasonably, in fact he sells most things very reasonably! might be worth a look but it wont change the thickness as they are recycled from printers
His smokers etc are much less than the big boys

Digital vernier gauges, what next? A good all metal one can measure to within 5 thou' if memory serves. But I would still like one of the digital ones!

And in the apiary yesterday I gave 3 light colonies a litre each of 50:50 syrup in frame feeders.

"which happens to be the local word for Very near."
Like it, but they certainly are near enough for woodworking. For measuring thickness and frame fits which need to be "varnier" they hit the spot. I think the" between jaws" measuring capability and instant reading, without squinting, to find the best line of divisions, does it for me. :)

"A good all metal one can measure to within 5 thou' if memory serves." I think the memory is still serving, that is if mine still is. :)

Back to the thread...............I hope to get up to see all it ok over the weekend.

Cleared an area 5m by 4m for my new apiary. Watched one hive being very busy bringing in loads of pollen and the other one is much quieter. I spoke to my neighbour (ex beekeeper) and he thinks I should consider requeening the slow hive.

Nice vernier Tony, and there's no "a" in that one . :)
Good pic, at that size even I can read it.
:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back