What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldnt get out yesterday in the sun so went and checked fondant levels today. One or two peeking their noses out, but not venturing further.

One hive happily chomping through the fondant, the other not taken much, but the fondant on this second hive (on top of crownboard) is really warm - don't know if thats a sign of anything significant or not but it was reassuring that theres something going on undeneath it. They had been the weaker of the two and I was worried that they may not make it through.

I handled some bees for the first time this weekend. After my first bee keeping course on friday evening, got the chance the next day to go with a few others to the tutors hives. Was wonderful, warm and sunny and lots of bees busy in and out. I am really excited about learning more over the coming weeks and getting my own bees bee-smillie

One hive happily chomping through the fondant, the other not taken much

MA, IMO I would not be concerned that they are not taking fondant. If the general health signs are fine then congrats on getting you autumn feeding correct so that they have enough stores in comb that they dont need fondant!

unless they are Italians and kept brooding late into season, Rosti!

TB, I am sure you are right there, but I wouldn't know if you weren't! Never bought a bee so my own experience is rather limited to the local north yorkshire bees which do'th nothin' fer nowt and still think twice ab'ut it first. All mine have come from local bait hives, black mongrels every last one of them. bee-smillie

Moved a pile of hives that need more attention than I have time to give, to the workshop hoping to reclaim them soon. Scorching, acetic, scraping, sanding, installing OMF, melting, steaming and painting/treating. Should all be ready by........

I have been

1) Checking the fondant levels on the nationals at the home apiary
2) Boiling the old super frames in my old burco with soda crystals to clean them.
3) Painting the lifts on a newly aquired WBC

TB, I am sure you are right there, but I wouldn't know if you weren't! Never bought a bee so my own experience is rather limited to the local north yorkshire bees which do'th nothin' fer nowt and still think twice ab'ut it first. All mine have come from local bait hives, black mongrels every last one of them. bee-smillie
these are the off-spring of a swarm I collected 2 yrs ago, of known provenance, original queen is an italian, daughter local mongrel cross ( july 2010)

Went to far field today to have a look and noticed dead bees opened the hive up all gone and green mouldy frames . Oh well time for a fire and disinfect the hive damp got through must of been a weak colony oh well just gotta get on with it :(.

drstitson

OMF nope one of a few without knew i should of changed them all i don't insulate any of my hives considering all bees should be 90dg inside the hive must be just bad damp my fault lesson learnt i guess .:redface:

Thanks, they're not bad. I'm just glad it's digital and I can throw 30 away to get a half decent one. I have lots with just bee's bums!! I think they must be camera shy.

But it's a lovely sunny lunchtime here and the Crocus I planted last year are working!!

Ian

PS for the techies it's a Nikon D60 with a Sigma 70-300 1:4-5:6 macro lens

Last edited:
i-ball - they're lovely pictures. Cute looking bees!bee-smillie

Went to farm apiary this morning opened all hives gave all a good check over cleaned all top of frames. Also looked for new eggs and sealed brood plenty in all hives working like crazy and bringing in plenty of pollen yellow mainly . Its looking good for the new season lets hope the weather stays calm and above freezing.;)

.....Cute looking bees!bee-smillie

Thanks, I'd like to take some credit for them but I just supplied a box and some frames of foundation. They managed the rest despite my interference!! A bit like my grandchildren.

Ian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back