What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of us with not quite so many frames to assemble, a Rampin tool is useful: [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-5010559127511-12751-rampin/dp/B0001K9OZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297391149&sr=8-1[/ame]

I have an electric nail gun not so good but the rampin looks interesting but how does it work ? . many thanks belinda. :cheers2:

went to visit neighbouring beek (who gave me my swarm last year) having heard that he'd lost a few colonies from starvation (didn't feed extra in autumn).

was shocked to discover that in fact it was 2 dead hives and 20 empty hives (out of around 30 in the apiary).

He wasn't aware of the possibility of cunning bee thieves so not sure if the intact frames in the hives were the originals or not.

I have an electric nail gun not so good but the rampin looks interesting but how does it work ? . many thanks belinda. :cheers2:

The Rampin holds the pin/nail/tack/etc magnetically, allowing you to then 'easily' ram or push it into the wood.

In fact I find it easy and quick requiring only a couple of taps with a hammer on occasion to finish them off.

Very busy today, no wind, approx +9C. Playing with new camera lens!!

Same here, nice sunshine and the girls are out and about. Went to move some snowdrops and they are being worked by bees, I hope they are my bees.:)

Lovely pictures iball. Just been down the garden and mine just as active. Can't see any pollen though yet.:toetap05:

fed another tub of fondant to one colony. watched bees taking water in to all 3 hives.

iball your lovely photos inspired me to wrap up warm and go down to take a look at my bees. Yahoo - first pollen going into the hive!

Too cool today but yesterday they were out in force bringing in snowdrop pollen.
Do bees work Witch Hazel does anybody know?

Mine flying today. Sunny/cloudy and around 11 degrees. Fair bit of pollen going in which I was delighted about. Haven't seen any flowers in bloom around here yet so they clearly know something (or a lot) I don't!!
Fed some more fondant just to be on the safe side as they were getting through it at a fair old rate, and they are a numerous hive.
Lovely pics iBall :eek:)

Where is "Round here" Sabrina?

Its nice to know in case someone is local and you might need advice.

10C
Both hives flying bringing in orange pollen.

hefting

Thought i'd heft the hives again today, out of three hives two have changed little in a fortnight in weight, bees are active and flying espesialy todayin the sun and after i took the mouse x's off for the afternoon, I put them back on though before dark. Lots of dead bees have been cleared out. As for the little change in weight i was wondering whether theres brood weight replacing stores weight so keeping the hive weight very similar. Could this be happening at this time of the year? if so i'd better be vigilant and add fondant if needs be I suppose, would I ? . The bees are bringing in some pollen from somewere but there seems to be little flowers/blossoms available at the moment, perhaps snowdrops and maybe crocus but doesnt seem to be many about just yet.
But at least there buzzin !!!

Dave W

Latest posts

Back