What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly the nuc were losing most of theirs as I had set them to Queen Includer mode and as I didn't have my suit with me I couldn't do anything about it.

Just walk around the back of the hive, lean over and flip the entrance

Interestingly, that is how foundation is attached in mating hives. Is it just for "historic reasons" that we attach the foundations with a thin strip of wood? Are there any pros/cons?

Probably just what we're all taught. Nails and wedges. Can't think of any cons with hot wax. Pros...it's quicker, don't need nails, no broken wedges when the frame is renewed with a new sheet of foundation.

thing I always found odd was the vertical zig-zag foundation wiring. I don't know about other styles but the Thornes langstroth wiring is neve quite enough to pin it in properly (so I use an electric nailgun and don't even try). There is also the horizontal wiring threaded through the sidebars or vertical wiring which I've seen on American foundation (which doesn't seem to offer enough support to me). Does anyone know why, or, is it just an attempt to ensure customer loyalty?

Our Langstroth side bars have 4 holes for 4 horizontal wires. I only install 2 wires, horizontally in the two center holes. The wires are embedded electrically. They touch the vertical wires that are embedded in the foundation. Good enough support to keep the foundation straight, which, for me, is the point. I don't normally extract honey from deep frames, especially new comb drawn that year. If I do have to extract, I go slow...speed #3/10 on the extractor. Older deep comb can be spun faster, and old comb can be spun at 7/10.

I had set them to Queen Includer mode and as I didn't have my suit with me I couldn't do anything about it.

Do you mean that you had a queen EXcluder under the brood?
I can see that this might be useful to keep mice out if you have nowhere else to store the excluder but it is better to have some sort of guard over the front of the hive (for exactly the reason you mentioned).
They aren't going to swarm at this time of year so there is really no reason to try to shut the queen in that I can think of.

Probably just what we're all taught. Nails and wedges. Can't think of any cons with hot wax. Pros...it's quicker, don't need nails, no broken wedges when the frame is renewed with a new sheet of foundation.

Our Langstroth side bars have 4 holes for 4 horizontal wires. I only install 2 wires, horizontally in the two center holes. The wires are embedded electrically. They touch the vertical wires that are embedded in the foundation. Good enough support to keep the foundation straight, which, for me, is the point. I don't normally extract honey from deep frames, especially new comb drawn that year. If I do have to extract, I go slow...speed #3/10 on the extractor. Older deep comb can be spun faster, and old comb can be spun at 7/10.

:iagree:
I wouldn't want to rely on melted wax to hold a full sheet of Langstroth deep foundation by itself, especially not on a hot day. Horizontal wiring seems more logical to me too - I already have a transformer and was considering that method already. I suppose, you just have to develop a fine touch with the electrical contact so you don't melt through the foundation.

:thanks:Mike

Attended a BKA Christmas dinner last night. A number of their members were reporting that they are still seeing a lot of wasp activity in and around hives, to the extent that some have had to move hives and others have temporarily closed hives. One or two commented that they opened hives for a quick look to assess the problem and whilst the bees were clustered, wasps were having free reign with the colony's stores.

I wouldn't want to rely on melted wax to hold a full sheet of Langstroth deep foundation by itself, especially not on a hot day. Horizontal wiring seems more logical to me too - I already have a transformer and was considering that method already. I suppose, you just have to develop a fine touch with the electrical contact so you don't melt through the foundation.

You worry too much. We have higher temperatures than you in the UK. This summer was especially warm. 86 days of 80˚F or more and upwards of 20 days of 90˚. I've never seen an issue or a sheet of foundation fall from the frame due to heat. If done properly, and with the hot wax at the correct temperature, it looks like a fine soldering job.

Have you ever seen the embedding device offered in the American supply houses? With a battery charger on 6v, it takes a couple seconds to heat the wire enough to melt into the wax. With 12v it's quicker, a second maybe. But with either, the horizontal wire melts into the wax, and up against the vertical wires that are embedded in the wax by the manufacturer.

Have you ever seen the embedding device offered in the American supply houses? With a battery charger on 6v, it takes a couple seconds to heat the wire enough to melt into the wax. With 12v it's quicker, a second maybe. But with either, the horizontal wire melts into the wax, and up against the vertical wires that are embedded in the wax by the manufacturer.

I have a German transformer (I think I bought it from Carl Fritz at Stoneleigh quite a few years ago but only used it a few times). The problem I encountered was that it quickly burned through the foundation if you made contact for even a fraction of a second too long. Maybe a different device would be better.

:thanks: again.

if on the wired foundation you have enough wire to secure on the bottom rails, then just put a tack thru them, when its time to remove them just melt out old wax with steamer , then make your own sheets of wax and use a battery charger to heat wires,

Just walk around the back of the hive, lean over and flip the entrance

I did try, it was propolised so I couldn't turn it without knocking the hive and they aren't the friendliest of bees at the best of times so figured be safe rather than sorry.

Do you mean that you had a queen EXcluder under the brood?
I can see that this might be useful to keep mice out if you have nowhere else to store the excluder but it is better to have some sort of guard over the front of the hive (for exactly the reason you mentioned).
They aren't going to swarm at this time of year so there is really no reason to try to shut the queen in that I can think of.

No, it is a Paynes poly nuc with the entrance disc, when the weather dropped really cold I turned it to the QE style opening to help against mice, at the same time as I applied a metal mouse guard to the other colony.

I hefted and weighed the hive, added a pack of fondant to my sole colony, pinned a mouseguard over the entrance block, and pinned mesh over the pare coverboard hole. Put the insulation and roof back. Done for another 3 weeks, when I shall treat with vaporised OA, if required.

In trouble with swmbo....... Guerilla planted two trees in my apiary I'm sure the church won't mind .... gulp will I be struck down by lightning

AFB cases popping around.. Will be forced to hold all of my colonies and go after honey.. :calmdown:
In summer/autumn haven't seen signs, will have a time in spring for check.. And if joy is to be complete will have opportunity to experience killing and burning of colonies.. :banghead:

AFB cases popping around.. Will be forced to hold all of my colonies and go after honey.. :calmdown:
In summer/autumn haven't seen signs, will have a time in spring for check.. And if joy is to be complete will have opportunity to experience killing and burning of colonies.. :banghead:

The worst thing i suppose is the worrying all winter!! (not to mention the heartbreak of destroying colonies if your unlucky) I hope your disease free in the spring Goran!!

Boiling up frames

I boiled up and scraped clean over 250 shallow frames, a good job to do outdoors on a cold day. I had cut out the combs of heather honey for pressing. I recovered about 4kg of clean beeswax.
See http://tinyurl.com/of36vpk for details and pics of my setup.

Just a quick look today bees flying strong, no hefting needed as they where more than heavy enough the last time i hefted, i did however have to go retrieve the inspection tray from the corner of the apiary as the gales we had several days ago some how blew it out.

Do I send to you Tylosine. But you have ignore button on. .

Back