What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting there are other horse lovers on the forum.... Wife and daughter have just broken a three year old
I've been on the cadge today got four big pieces of celotex from our town library renovation will make a couple of hive covers from it

I've got two horses! A 27 year old Welsh cob (my first pony) and a 22 year old Hanoverian x TB (my first horse). I ride neither anymore but its a lifelong commitment I guess. Both went barefoot when retired and cope great.

Bee related I stumbled upon an awesome apiary site today!

I've got two horses! A 27 year old Welsh cob (my first pony) and a 22 year old Hanoverian x TB (my first horse). I ride neither anymore but its a lifelong commitment I guess. Both went barefoot when retired and cope great.

Wonderful...a good apiary site is sometimes hard to find.

One colony less.. Got queenless.. Looking at bright side - neighbouring colonies increased their numbers and have better potential for next season.. It was young queen, just vanished and couple qcells with eggs..
Also the plus is I distributed frames with heavy stores to other colonies which need it..

Sometimes loss is at the end a gain..

Mentor is pushing me to go profesionally into beekeeping.. He said migratory, or to go for officialy qrearing.. No time and money for that. Still I didn't sold honey from this season.. Risky..

Horses are dog food in my eye's and they stink.. lol.. on the apiary site's i'm not stuck.. but i could do with filling the freezer with dog food when that owld thing expires..

Put insulation on top of my wooden hives. Checked if a nadired shallow box that had been full of crystallised and unripe honey had been cleared out - it largely had with no existing brood so I've moved to the top with a clearer board to get it off tomorrow.

Just slapped my head realising that I didn't take the QE off so if the queen is in the top box she could be stuck, what a fool.

Bees in hives, "english" weather - rain, grey sky, fogish.. Cranes can be heard as flying over . Today didn't nothing with colonies, as I didn't worked today got some rest and cleaned some boxes, sorted som combs at home..
Seems I am too addicted to forums.. Suspect of myself being trolish.. I will give a rest for some time..

Gave the Groups demo Darlington hive a quick coat of red lead paint inside and out... hope it preserves it for prosperity... unlikely to attempt to keep bees in the ridiculous thing!

Yeghes da

Found another deaths head hawk moth near the entrance of a hive, think it was hungry, currently sat next to me feeding from a comb of honey, the moth, not me.

Found another deaths head hawk moth near the entrance of a hive, think it was hungry, currently sat next to me feeding from a comb of honey, the moth, not me.

Don't you just hate it when something photo-worthy happens... and the camera is in the car 1/2 a mile away!

Yeghes da

Got stung ... Last of the year I hope ! Was just adjusting hives, all was quiet and getting towards dusk ... one bee comes out for a look ... lands on my forehead - just above my left eyebrow. Thought she would push off so let her be. Then bang ... little beggar let me have it ! Feel like I've had a nip and tuck - hope it goes down overnight or there'll be some comments at work tomorrow ...

Hope you're ok!

I got stung between the eyes a couple of months and my whole face swelled up! My wife cried when she saw me :(

And yes I got loads of grief at work. A caring colleague has even put a picture of my face as his wallpaper on his PC. He says it cheers him up every time he turns the PC on!

Yesterday I visited my caerphilly hives - all had taken down 4 litres of syrup since Saturday so topped back up to full.
Today I visited my out apiary a mile away - no car available so lugged 4 litre can full of syrup - only to find they had barely touched their 4 litres given on Monday. Couldnt heft hive much as the big square feeder full of syrup would have sloshed everywhere and didn't have bee suit or any gloves so didn't want to remove it and let bees escape. Couldn't be bothered to lug can of syrup back home so left it there. Maybe they'll want it next week.
Why is it if I take all my equipment nothing needs doing. but when I take nothing I find I needed kit.
My garden hives are still bringing loads of HB. Not needed feeding.

Hope you're ok!

I got stung between the eyes a couple of months and my whole face swelled up! My wife cried when she saw me :(

And yes I got loads of grief at work. A caring colleague has even put a picture of my face as his wallpaper on his PC. He says it cheers him up every time he turns the PC on!

My wife laughed ... as did most of my colleagues at work .. two antihistamines did nothing apart from open my left eye a bit and put me to sleep ! Most comments were 'Why do you keep bees when they do that to you ?' ... I occasionally wonder - but it soon passes !!

Horses are dog food in my eye's and they stink.. lol.. on the apiary site's i'm not stuck.. but i could do with filling the freezer with dog food when that owld thing expires..

I don't understand why you would have dog food in your eyes Millet! As for filling the freezer with it.....I didn't know you were reduced to that ...perhaps we could have a whip round...fill your freezer with real meat!

Still counting a drop of 200 over 5 days on one hive, I've vapourised for a fourth time. Only needing to feed one hive out of the three.
Roll on Spring, and I can find out what I've done wrong.

Walked up the garden this morning, bees very busy from both hives and a great smell of ivy, popped up early evening to hear them fanning like crazy.

Latest posts

Back