What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Demolition work

I was called in to help remove some bees that had built their nest in the side of an old building that had to come down.
I thought some people might be interested to see the comb

Attachments

• 2015-10-15 10.41.10 (2).jpg
    2015-10-15 10.41.10 (2).jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 123
Very interesting, any idea how long they had been there?

I don't know but there is some dark brood comb there, which suggests they've been there some time....probably a couple of years. The comb on the bottom is light so I'd say they were building new comb during the summer. I'd have been happy to have dealt with it in the spring/summer, but today it was all about protecting the contractors. The building was coming down one way or another. The bees were in the way

Last edited:
Sadly, they were destroyed.

Pity ... there were quite a few bees there and I can see a patch of brood - I would have been tempted to find the queen, get them into a nuc, tie some of that comb into some frames and feed them like mad for a week or two. Too late now ...

Yes. There was some brood but not much food. Most of the comb was empty.
I was contacted by the project manager but the on-site ecologist was really in the driving seat on this. They were more concerned about the bats and newts than the bees. The building that you see in the photo was one of several being demolished in the grounds of a local Manor house. Its a very nice site.
My role was primarily to advise on the safest way to get the bees out in a short a time frame as possible so the building could be demolished. I have a video of the digger taking the sidings off the wall and revealing the full size of the colony. It was much bigger than I thought when first arrived. Only 1 plank had been taken off to reveal a small section of the comb.

What a shame you couldn't rescue them.
Amazing pic. I thought "Poor bees - could they not find anywhere better to set up home?" - not for the first time, on seeing photos of where wild/feral colonies had been found.

Think I finally learned that a bee jacket is not adequate when teamed with girlie jeans. Went to top up feed garden hives. Petes bees have a super as an eke with an open pot of wax cappings plus a bowl of syrup with bubble wrap floating ie they are able to fly out when cover is removed. They are no problem. Was even able to stir the cappings whilst bees fed to expose honey covered ones at the bottom.
Then opened my other hive which has a contact feeder. Gently lifted feeder to see if empty. Straight away bees flew out and stung me through my jeans. This hive has been trouble all year. Requeened due to bad temperament. the new carni turned out to be a drone layer and no new queen could be raised. Requeened again with a daughter of a bucky. Their temperament has not been good enough to inspect since I saw eggs a few months ago so leaving em to it. A heft tells me they only need a bit of feeding. Full bee suit next time.
I really hope that was the last sting of the season.

Moved a hive from an out apiary into one of our home apiaries, the bee are out doing their orientation flights, fed the other hive I have here. I also made 30 litres of syrup and will be making a little more. The Ivy is just starting to flower here, I would say our season is at least 3 week later this year. There are still bees going back working the HB, this ha proved such a valuable crop for us this year, we missed the heather because of the poor weather, they did bring in a very small amount mind.

Last edited:
"Poor bees - could they not find anywhere better to set up home?"

Well, we put up owl boxes, perhaps we should all put up a bee box or two?
Maybe that's something I could do with some of my redundant brood boxes :)

Yes, well I did put out a couple of bee boxes: "Bait hives". 1 National, 1 top bar. The 'right size' I thought, and at the 'right height' and orientation, with old comb, lemongrass an'all. - Both given what looked like serious consideration once or twice but evidently found wanting in the end. Looking at the spaces into which some of these feral colonies have settled, makes me wonder if a seriously dummied down Warre wouldn't do better!

I made up several gallons of syrup today. So tomorrow...will be checking hive weights. The bees were out foraging and coming back looking heavy. So I am hoping they have been able to add to their stores. No sign of ivy being brought back to the hives so far though. I will be checking the situation in the one hive which has honey...I am hoping to be able to harvest some....but only if they have capped it. Last time I looked...they were only a third of the way down the frames.

Another huge day on the ivy. Everyone brooding strongly and basically mite-free. I was very worried about nexxt season a month or so ago but am now very bullish; my colonies look set to get off to a very strong start next year. Touch wood and fingers crossed.

Noticed that the swallows seem to be spending even more of their time near to the apiaries.

Latest posts

Back