What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful sitting in front of the hives on a summer's day, VM.
I did just that yesterday hoping I might see a virgin queen venture out on her nuptials....no luck though.
Today is a different matter, 3 supers off and defensive bees for a day or two.

One hive has two supers on and has been throwing drones out.
Strangely there were maybe fifty or so dead, jammed in the queen excluder...pointing up to the supers. Never seen that before. Do you think their sisters were starving them and they were trying to get to the stores?
I lifted the brood box off the floor to check for any obstruction and all was OK.

Checked my final q- colony. Timeline suggested mated the end of july, very pleased to see a very busy hive with pollen going in. Even happier to see a frame of eggs with a big fat q on it :)

Treated Hive 1 with MAQS and left alone. Hive 2 were a pleasure this week. We took a super off, check for eggs and larvae ( NOT GRUBS ;) ), added entrance blocks to both hives and popped in a varroa board on Hive 2. Ahh I love beekeeping, especially when it is with a good friend :)

One hive has two supers on and has been throwing drones out.
Strangely there were maybe fifty or so dead, jammed in the queen excluder...pointing up to the supers. Never seen that before. Do you think their sisters were starving them and they were trying to get to the stores?
I lifted the brood box off the floor to check for any obstruction and all was OK.

I saw this today in Dusty's hive 1. Had loads of drones last week, this week, as soon as we took the crown board off, the girls started dragging them out and there were loads stuck in the QE. Funny to watch them try and fly away with a massive drone :)

Applied some sellotape/Scotchtape to the outside of a super which has a warped bottom bar as there were bees on parade right along the gap. A really funny sight to see them all lined up like the guards inspection parade, but a wast of energy having to guard the gap. So a temporary step to help them and let the hive calm down before I change the box for a better one.

Have been on holiday for 2 weeks so was the first time up at my apiaries. first was doing well but had to do some weed control and also strapped them down for the coming weather. The second site I was welcomed by the site of 2 hives on their sides and split apart, not sure how long they had been like this as I was away but they didn't seem like they had suffered to badly, the 2 supers which had been put back empty just before I went away were full so I think it must have happened in the last couple of days. The wet weather over the last week must have softened the soil as one of the hive stand feet had sunk 8in causing them to topple.

All colonies now strapped up for the rest of the season and winter, hope it doesn't happen again.

Did a very quick last minute check this morning before I go on holiday. Hope the bees are OK till we get back. All seem to have plenty of stores.

Got my first sting today :dupe: only been a beekeeper for 5 weeks. After reading a few posts about space and the bees having to heat unnecessary space I decided to remove an empty super box that was housing my Apiguard and make a smaller spacer block to house it. Had my bee suit on with some cotton gloves as soon as the roof was removed one of the girls headed straight for my hand and bang got me, apart from that all is well bee-smillie

Got my first sting today :dupe: only been a beekeeper for 5 weeks. After reading a few posts about space and the bees having to heat unnecessary space I decided to remove an empty super box that was housing my Apiguard and make a smaller spacer block to house it. Had my bee suit on with some cotton gloves as soon as the roof was removed one of the girls headed straight for my hand and bang got me, apart from that all is well bee-smillie

Until tomorrow, you might get a bit of itchy and scratchy

Hi all. I am now somewhat charging batteries for new challenges ( somewhat holidays). Just to don't be rude, few pics of my two apiaries ( which most won't last till next summer). We had such a luck to have experience of landslides at our property several days ago ( how I felt I couldn't make the photo of it, maybe when I return). Not severe damage but more psychological ( I almost cut my hand badly when we were sealing the fences in heavy rain to don't get wild animals at our porperty - I was " lucky") in such horror year ( which I would like to forget as soon I can). Maybe it was better to it wipe all to relieve us of misery.. And few pics of my new worries and troubles ( after bees). When someone told me the life is wholetime learning, I just say - yeah.. But definitelly in my case it shown so true.. All time some learning ( despite school education).. At the end who knows.. some rocket science :banghead:

Hi Goran,
I feel for you. The bad weather you are having made it on the news here.

Hi Goran, Very angry skies and in what is supposed to be high summer for you ! I fried eggs on the white roof of my car when I was down there in August 1969 - what on earth is happening to the world's climate.

The apples look good - mind you with the rain you've had they should be doing well - just need a bit of sun and no wind to give them a chance to ripen. Is there anything that you can salvage from your bees ?

As always I think the whole forum will be wishing you some good luck and a slightly easier life.

Phil

Well you can't blame her can you, would you like to live in a room smothered in Thymol for two weeks :)

Apiguard always seems to make my colonies tetchy :(

Hi Goran,
I feel for you. The bad weather you are having made it on the news here.

I don't remember we ever had such .. to call it weather. These days now after menace is starting to get warm ( just to speed up plant diseases in such humid enviroment)..
I hope we are at some turning point, from which should go things on better. Some slow flow is now and I don't have more to intervene with stimulative or emergency feed. Maybe bees will have a chance to nicelly organize themselves for a winter.

Hi Goran, Very angry skies and in what is supposed to be high summer for you ! I fried eggs on the white roof of my car when I was down there in August 1969 - what on earth is happening to the world's climate.

The apples look good - mind you with the rain you've had they should be doing well - just need a bit of sun and no wind to give them a chance to ripen. Is there anything that you can salvage from your bees ?

As always I think the whole forum will be wishing you some good luck and a slightly easier life.

Phil

When mention apples, some have problem to keep the fruits smaller to don't be too big. Wherever you go, ground is soft under the feet due to so much of rain. Some will start this week first hand of picking them on some sorts.
Bees despite all are OK. The hives stand. With stimulative feed I tried to keep them in shape. In spring I believe will sell the most cause now I would have to sell them for a half of price ( with overwintering I don't have problems, but waiting spring is long time also..).
Thanks, but don't worry I won't let anything to just vanish or collapse. I am reducing but keeping the same beekeeping practice ( I have to do that to be able to sell strong and healthy colonies when other beeks need in spring).

:)

Phil

Tell me about it , this year in south west France , we have had , one Tornado , 2 hail storms , one of which destroyed everything by deluge of 20mm hailstones , constant thunderstorms , this week end alone 60mm of rain fell but worst of all , the summer night time temperatures are some of the lowest i have known .
Bees really struggling , and feeding when i have to . Stores low again today when I looked but if they can not get out the hive what do you expect .

Latest posts

Back