What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me about it , this year in south west France , we have had , one Tornado , 2 hail storms , one of which destroyed everything by deluge of 20mm hailstones , constant thunderstorms , this week end alone 60mm of rain fell but worst of all , the summer night time temperatures are some of the lowest i have known .
Bees really struggling , and feeding when i have to . Stores low again today when I looked but if they can not get out the hive what do you expect .

Sounds like its going to be a bad vintage for wine there cj?

Oops...

auth.aspx

Prepared all my hives for varroa treatment.

Inspected new queen: polished cells and swollen abdomen so eggs imminent.

Made up thymol mix - in garage . SWMBO would go ballistic with teh smell in kitchen.

Checked stores on half my hives.. Action plan to follow..

Showed a friend my nuc through the clear crown board. He was amazed at how many bees there were and how busy they were. Rain first thing and then high winds. My little gals were out on the balsam ...well the brave ones anyway.

Windy today. Made the mistake of inspecting. Were they upset? I closed up half way through and will try again tomorrow- or perhaps the day after. Ex hurricane Bertha has a lot to answer for.

Bottled one frame of lime honey and tasted it. Light honey, with an immediate taste of orange and lingering lemon finish recommend to serve with duck. A bit like wine tasting! Oh, by the way peeps the runny honey has firmed up somewhat must have been the hot summer or is to do with leaving honey to mature?

Treated all hives for varroa with thymol mix. Only one sting.

Now keeping 3 hives plus a late swarm in a nuc having been up to 9 colonies by the end of May owing to ASs and swarm collections. (Sales and uniting colonies.)

Removed MAQ strips, replaced framed wire QEs (I put plastic QEs on for duration of treatment) and put rhombus bee escapes in place with view to extracting some more (and last) summer honey since each hive had a full super plus another less full. Will be leaving a shallow under, with honey for winter stores eventually so will consider how many frames to extract tomorrow, the others will be returned to the remaining supers.

Checked the cast swarm I collected on 26/07 - chuffed to find 2 frames with BIAS. Had seen the Q so was hoeful. Only 3 seams of bees but prob. going to try and get through winter. Now deciding whether to buy poly nuc or go for heavily insulating the cedar nuc it's currently in.

nothing....
need to build stands on a new site but busy at work.
funny how everytime i need to look after bee stuff work goes mad.:hairpull:

Moderator. Surely this thread is past it's sell by date? Too much to read if worth reading at all !!!!

Moderator. Surely this thread is past it's sell by date? Too much to read if worth reading at all !!!!

Don't read it then - and leave others to enjoy it for what it is - idle chit chat about the day's good work

Latest posts

Back