What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put supers under brood

Asian Hornet Queens aren't much larger than workers / males but they will look markedly fresher at this time of year and if you kill every one you see now and in the spring you will be getting a large number of Queens.

Chris

Last edited:
They look like Cranes to me, the migrations follow different routes. A loose formation is typical of Cranes as is the constant "chatter"

8f05bedeb5f96f757e9d46ba598c8eba

Chris

They look like Cranes to me, the migrations follow different routes. A loose formation is typical of Cranes as is the constant "chatter"

8f05bedeb5f96f757e9d46ba598c8eba

Chris

I believe you are right, third line from left is going above my place. Haven't better equipment or binocular to watch closely. All I hear they "talk" and see how they change the formations in the air..

I replaced narrow entrances (recently removed) behind mouseguards as the blasted wasps were hammering one hive.
It is a strong colony too, so worried what is going on inside but resisted the thought to open up and look, after all, what could be gained?
Stuck a fresh wasp trap nearby and killed some as I hung about watching!

Dont these wasps know it is middle Nov with snow in the distance. Time to DIE.

I get the odd wasp in the tray where my sticky board is but they don't seem to go anywhere near the hive entrance ... I saw a few in summer trying it on but they got a real hammering from my girls so I reckon they have some learned behaviour to leave the entrance alone. I think the periscope and long entrance tunnel helps as I haven't had a wasp problem at all.

Interestingly, yesterday morning, after the frost the previous night, there were three dead wasps on the sticky board although, I noticed a couple still on the ivy on the trees in the garden - very much alive ! It is getting very late for wasps and it's an indication of how mild it has been this autumn down here.

From memory we had snow in late November last year and yet it's still semi-tropical in South Hampshire this year.

Brought my two wasp killed hives home and hefted my two survivors. I was appalled by the number of dead wasps in the dead hives. At least 2" (5cm) of stripy bodies in each. (And a full W@spBane trap too.) I'm surprised and rather pleased the girls in my two surviving hives held them off. :-(

Last edited:
Brought my two wasp killed hives home and hefted my two survivors. I was appalled by the number of dead wasps in the dead hives. At least 2" (5cm) of stripy bodies in each. (And a full W@spBane trap too.) I'm surprised and rather pleased the girls in my two surviving hives held them off. :-(

Good grief!

For my part, I counted varroa, enjoying the sweet smell of thymol. Either the very late Apiguard is working or, if the drop is natural, the colony is doomed. I genuinely think the former.

And yes, still dead wasps about and the most enormous slugs. I know, but do not want to dwell on, what the slugs are eating.

I replaced narrow entrances (recently removed) behind mouseguards as the blasted wasps were hammering one hive.
It is a strong colony too, so worried what is going on inside but resisted the thought to open up and look, after all, what could be gained?

:iagree: Still plenty trying to get into my hives not with much success thank goodness, as you say we need a good killing frost now, could be this weekend!

I believe you are right, third line from left is going above my place. Haven't better equipment or binocular to watch closely. All I hear they "talk" and see how they change the formations in the air..

:thanks: To both of you for that, it must be wonderful to see them in such numbers.

:thanks: To both of you for that, it must be wonderful to see them in such numbers.

You are welcome.:)
Especially when I am at their route and around 350m on hill.. Can enjoy every year. Nearby are some small lakes and last year I saw some circled and I presume went for little rest and some food if any..

Watched a couple of brave bees struggle out into the biting wind off on a journey somewhere but came back with yellow pollen. I had a coat on but the wind was a classic lazy one - too idle to blow round me so it tried to go through!

My one wooden hive is suffering somewhat. I too have put a fresh waspbane trap up.
There is a super under and I can see that wasps are flying before the bees are up and at em and probably walking around there with the bees above their heads.
Spotted one wasp amongst the bees under the crown board being totally ignored. I guess it smells like a bee now.
My husband thinks I'm mad going hunting for them. Managed to catch a few as they came out......just gently holding them in gloved fingers and squashing away from hive.
Please........where are the frosts?
Local farmer has been cutting the hedges....hope he gets a few nests while he's at it!

Back