What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be grateful it wasn't milk! :rolleyes:

Yehhh .... I had a full 6 pinter go in the passenger footwell once ... despite cleaning it to the point of extinction after a week the smell of sour milk was enough to have to drive with all four windows open ... I eventually p/exed the car at the end of winter when the smell had lessened to the point that an air freshener covered up the remnants .. At least sugar is just sticky ...

Good luck with the wife ...

I once had to change the carpet in a brand new car because the owner spilt milk on it, probably one of the worst jobs I have ever done, the only thing that could get ride of the smell from my overalls was bleach

I did what I hope will be the last inspection this year .. all looking pretty good, lots of capped stores, lots of uncapped stores and BIAS ... Put two layers of 50mm KIngspan on top of the crown boards ... lots of fun and games trying to get the sheets to fit under the apex roof ... the bees were incredibly tolerant of me coming and going as I kept going back to the garage to cut bits off and out of the Kingspan ... using a bandsaw in a bee suit and duct tape in surgical gloves not recommended ! Added insulation to empty section of hive and 50mm Kingspan either side of the dummy boards. They should be snug as a bug in a rug.

Fitted the new door (polycarbonate) on the periscope entrance ... more drilling and screwing whilst the bees were coming and going ... shut the door up when I'd finished. Took them awhile to get the hang of it but they had sorted it out by this evening.

Colony temperature seems to have gone up significantly as a result of insulation and periscope .. 27.7 degrees C at the top of the frames and only 14.4 degrees outside the hive. Loads of orange pollen coming in .. Ivy ? Couldn't smell it though ..

New periscope door and periscope in action:

Last edited:
I got rid of the smell of spilled milk by using a lot of bicarb solution.

Put the second apiguard on the last hive to be treated and nadired the super, tidied up the shed then watched the bees piling in the ivy (with a smattering of balsam). Buggered up the mower's pull start :banghead:

Lovely weather in Bristol yesterday, inspected two hives which had virtually no brood two weeks ago. Pleased to see them on 4/5 frames BIAS now with lots of stores. 50mm Celotex above the crown board on each hive.

Spent the day, re-cycling some old timber to create a cover from wind and rain and covered it in wire to deter woodpeckers and others in readiness for winter. Good job and now fully prepared for poor weather when it arrives.

Closed up hives last thing Saturday then went back early Sunday morning with a friend to move two hives up onto pallets so less bending down next year! The bees were very happy to be out in the sunshine when I opened them up.

For P's poly owners

This PM we had to remove a very strong 14x12 colony (thanks HM) in it's BB to seal a gap where the varroa mesh was too small to stop bee / wasp ingress. There has been no problem before but after removing the 'tray' after treatment there was a lot of interest under the hive, we therefore decided to investigate.
The temp fix is duct tape 'as always' with a more permanent fix next year to come. This hive was new this year for the nuc in July and hasn't been around a long time.

I just thought that when you are standing looking at your bees, as we all do, you might keep this in mind.

Tim

After tidying up the main beekeeping shed yesterday, I tidied up the second shed (AKA the chamber of secrets) as I've now got room to put the kit back which seems to have drifted in there over the summer. so I'll have room this winter to put together some flatpack kit i found hidden under some old sacking and build some more roofs, floors etc. The main shelf is looking a bit bare now after all the supers I put together this summer and now residing in the kit storage shed - pity to leave it empty - when do the mail order sales start? :D
Apiary absolutely buzzing all day - even in the drizzle this morning - not many pollen coming in but bees busy on the ivy and the late sown borage i've got around the greenhouse which is now beginning to open.

Just been down to take off the feeders, they hadn't really touched their last half gallon so I guess they're full up. I heard it's turning chilly later in the week so I put the Celotex insulation on and strapped down the roofs just to be on the safe side.
Bees busy coming and going, plenty of ivy? pollen coming in.

I'll pop back in a couple of weeks and put the mouseguards on.

Topped up the rapid feeder on both hives. So much more convenient than the contact feeder I used last year!

Found the wasps (and my other bees) had robbed out my weak little colony (which I kind of expected) - still a shame though.

Latest posts

Back