What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9769.jpg

Photographing the girls - busiest time of the year (apparently).

Last edited:
Yes, I must say they have been rather busy here today - bees piling up on the landing board and the whole apiary abuzz - which can bea heard from way down the garden - they've been out since first light this morning. Removed all the inspection trays now that the apiguard is done and piles of pollen dropped down there as well.

clear blue sky and 16.5C here this afternoon - took opportunity to leave work a wee bit early and remove QE from poly nuc on parent's shed.
also weighed the nuc - 13.75kg. not bad i reckon given that about 3.5kg is frames and total box.
will give some fondant later.

Raining here this morning.

Picked up a pack of fondant 1/2 hr ago while passing a bakery on way in to work. Shame most of the NHS doesn't keep such convenient hours!

These feeding is to fill necessary winter stores ( if lacking), or some stimulative ( brooding)? Cause it seems great difference between your place and mine. I stopped with feeding about middle of sept. ( most even at beginning of september). In majority of hives there is no brood ( only several young queens). Or is difference in bees, that if You have these strains which still have lot of brood?

Autumn came with its "fire" colors. Bees had yesterday pause cause of heavy rain and strong wind. Today promising sunny morning..

Last edited:
Lovely day, watched all my colonies and the nuc bring in lots of pollen. Meant to feed late brooders, but got distracted. Hey, tomorrow is another day.

Watched the bees bringing in ivy pollen still, so decided to wait another few days before resuming feeding.

"These feeding is to fill necessary winter stores"

yes - that's what all the UK feeding is for.

OK. I was thinking also on timing, relative big difference.. Over month difference. So I was thinking maybe cause your bees have lot of brood to feed and lack of forage and all is later..

Took a day off work with the local forecast showing sunny and 16-18c.
Went through 23 of my 28 colonies / Nuc's in terms of check stores check for laying queen, was no more than 2 - 3 minutes per brood box and only pulled 1-3 frames as required. Last check was 21/9.
19 had BIAS, 3 sealed brood only and one with no brood, but I saw the queen in this hive as I pulled a few more frames.
The poly nuc's all had noticably bigger brood areas than the cedar hives.
Saw drones in only 2 hives, the 2nd of these still had controlled patches of drone brood and 2 hatched / torn down superceedure cells. Also had eggs and plenty of BIAS, didnt look for queens, they know what they are doing so leave them to it.

Stores wise all the hives were fine and fondant will be on standby if required.
The poly nuc's were ok / lightish but not a major concern, I will add some feed though at the weekend, probably a fondant slice in the feeder section.

All bees well behaved during my short intervention into their homes.

I took 2 hives to my brothers apiary about 10 days ago where there is an abundance of Ivy, looked in the supers and one was half full, the other nearly full and mostly capped. I moved the half full super complete with bees to the busier stronger hive with the full super,put in under the near full one, with any luck I will get 2 supers of Ivy honey off in a few days...... just need to extract it then :hairpull:

Not overly concerned about the sealed brood only hives.
The broodless hive I will leave to sort themselves, they have a queen and she maybe having a break, she may be dud, either way we will see come spring.

'Take care girls, see you at Christmas for your oxallic and fondant treat, then look forward to working together again next year. Thanks for your hardwork and generally good temper and understanding of my efforts this year. Have a great winter.' :sunning:

P!ssing down with rain here - went up to the apiary to top up some of the feeders to be met bu clouds of bees! all hives out and busy in the rain! MAde a cup of tea and though about it :D

Took off feeders as they seem to have stopped taking it down now. Plenty of ivy pollen coming in though and they seem to have plenty of stores. Picking up fondant soon for feeding January ish - if necessary of course.

OK. I was thinking also on timing, relative big difference.. Over month difference. So I was thinking maybe cause your bees have lot of brood to feed and lack of forage and all is later..

most trees in the south are still green, just a few Hornbeam and horse chesnuts have orange coloured leaves,

Further north they will have stopped feeding

Moved the garden hive 3ft to the right with 90 degrees anti-clockwise twist. Sounds like dancing instructions :)
Second move of 4 (12ft) to get hive into sunnier position for the winter/spring. Lots of fanning at the entrance but they all managed the move successfully.

Finished filling and painting 6 supers and 3 more 14x12 hives, all purchased in the sales. Good quality for seconds this time!
Topped up the feeders and switched one colony onto Ambrosia in a contact feeder as they haven't been particularly interested in the thymolated 2:1 in a rapid feeder.
Watched the entrances for half an hour or so. The poly nuc girls are definitely bringing in more pollen than the others, presumably warmer and so more brooding?
Now I am relaxing with a yummy hot lemon/brandy and honey hoping to bring this head cold to an end.

most trees in the south are still green, just a few Hornbeam and horse chesnuts have orange coloured leaves,

Further north they will have stopped feeding

Thanks for answering.
These days warm weather is coming back at my place ( warm over 21 celsius during the day), but that won't last long..

Latest posts

Back