What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a quick look at the swarm today.

P1020851a.jpg

They are well on their way to drawing out the 5 new frames (one wax foundation, 4 wax coated plastic) couldn't help spotting the big fat queen who has been busy laying a few hundred eggs in a nice pattern in the pre-drawn frame against the hive wall.

P1020854.JPG

So today I'm a very happy bee keeper, despite the bad news that I need another op to fuse two vertebrae with rods either side of the spine as according to my surgeon the disc that prolapsed is now slowly disintegrating.

But I'm still :D

sorry to hear about the back trouble - glad the bees are cheering you up!
There's something very satisfying about successfully housing a swarm, and seeing them all settled into their new home... awww....
they look nice bees as well.

Spent some time this afternoon ogling the feral bees that live high in the wall of the stone building where I work. They've been there apparently continuously for years, occasionally shedding swarms, and I'm itching to intercept one if they have a swarm any time soon. If they really are a continuous colony then they must have a fair amount of disease & varroa resistance, and their temperament seems good from what I can tell (no defensiveness around the nest entrance). They are neat, smallish, stripey bees, with more or less gold and black stripes, rather pretty, like a kid's drawing of a bee.

I spent today jumping between threads What did you do in the Apiary today? and What did you do in the Apiary yesterday?

All this opening/ closing threads has got me quite confused!

And I only wanted to say I was sorry to hear about Mikes back trouble!

Putting finishing touches to my 6 new hives ready for swarm season.
Also set up a meeting with a local farmer (friend of a friend) to visit this week and discuss where I can put hives on his farm! :)

OSR starting to bloom in fields nearby my home apiary and I believe the farmer I am visiting is growing it also.

All in all a good day despite the change in weather from the weekend.

was amazed at how much water the bees are taking in, had to refill the water station twice. cut the grass round the hives this evening, and several bees came and had a look from the 'doorstep' at the lawnmower.

I spent today jumping between threads What did you do in the Apiary today? and What did you do in the Apiary yesterday?

All this opening/ closing threads has got me quite confused!

And I only wanted to say I was sorry to hear about Mikes back trouble!

HaHa, i have only just realised that there are the two!!! :eek:

I intended planting out some young onions from a modular tray, the bees have decided they prefer to drink from that, rather than the water I supplied in a washing up bowl with oasis in.

bought some supers and a Nuc from C Wynn Jones fantastically helpful as always even with preparations for stoneleagh under way!!! thanks guys:cheers2:

supering up for the OSR at the association Apiary. Just starting to flower here in the hinterland

Watched a bloody great big queen wasp being murdered to death by the Mauri Mob.....
and then fed it to the chickens......................

just wondering how far are they ready to fly for OSR? I got fields about 1.5 miles from my hives.

Lauri

They'll vist those fields then! My understanding is that bees will readily forage within a 3 mile radius of the hive (thus the rationale for moving hives 3 feet or >3 miles...) I have also been told that in exceptional circumstances they will forage up to 5 miles away but the benefit to the colony in doing so is minimal.

Last edited:
OSR...I got fields about 1.5 miles from my hives.

They will go there unless there is something more productive closer.

RAB

HM has disappeared since my last inspection two weeks ago, put in a test frame from another bust hive to see what happens, hopefully some nice Q-cells in the next week or so.
OSR coming into flower and the girls are already coming back laden with yellow / brown pollen.

Too cold here today for an inspection, they are still drinking from my tray of onion seedlings, even though I moved it, and put a tray of compost in its place.

Do bees like onions?

Re post 793 .

Thats radius of 3 miles , ie 1 and a half miles in each direction from your hive is . If they flew 3 miles then you would need to move hives 6+ miles to avoid them flying home if you moved apiaries .
G

Re post 793 .

Thats radius of 3 miles , ie 1 and a half miles in each direction from your hive is . If they flew 3 miles then you would need to move hives 6+ miles to avoid them flying home if you moved apiaries .
G

Radius of 3 miles IS 3 miles in each direction giving a DIAMETER 6 miles .

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back