What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pruned vegetation around hives and watched the bees flying out. A cedar nuc was bar far the busiest - no pollen brought in, just comfort breaks or possibly water carrying. Will wait for lower temperatures before OA treatment, next week is forecast to be cooler.

Ordered myself a hive heater pad to try on one of my hives, will do an experiment and will use it on one hive and see how it compares to the other three over the cold time from new year onwards.

Did'nt do anything constructive but bees flying in low numbers yesterday for the first time in weeks .
G

Why is the one on the right so down in the mouth...

Ha ha, it does look like that.
Strange I always thought MB hives looked better from that side and If I could find paint that sticks I would have painted the plastic to match the polystyrene.

Hubby and I have been working on modifying .......OUCH! that word....... the underfloor entrances we have on the wood boxes. We sloped the landing boards but still lots of bees get stuck upside down when it's been raining so we've shortened the board to start UNDER the floor as well. Will see. I've added an extra board underneath on the hive stand so that too many bees don't end up under the whole floor.

Last edited:
As a new bee keeper was alarmed to see so many bees out and buzzing all around the hive but it's very sheltered, south facing and caught in for once gorgeous sunshine and soon as it got shaded in they went again.

I picked up my OA today from my local supplier. I was informed when there that he would be running a queen rearing course starting in April so signed up for it. Included in price is a mating nuc and get to keep the queen you raise.:party:

We sloped the landing boards but still lots of bees get stuck upside down when it's been raining

A series of grooves (down the slope) at least give them a better chance of righting themselves after a rough landing.

boards but still lots of bees get stuck upside down when it's been raining so we've shortened the board to start UNDER the floor

I may have said it before, but i don't seem to have this problem (my floors also jut out about half an inch) maybe it's the paint that helps them (ronseal 5 year), you could try sprinkling a bit of sand onto the wet paint?

bees get stuck upside down when it's been raining

....the only time I've had similar was when surrounding vegetation had started to overhang the 'final approach'. After I pruned it back 2 ft or so, any dead bees were upright'ish

Thebeekeeper002.jpg

NOTE , Landing boards are covered with a layer of sand, applied when board first coated in thick varnish . this has worked for me for many years :)
VM

Sand.....Mmmmm
I'll see how the "hidden" landing boards go and in the meantime add sand to the existing ones when I change floors in spring.

Grooves sound good too,RAB.

Drone Having a Walk on Landing Board

Not quite today, but a few days ago (before the rain), noticed a Drone come out on the landing board, have a leisurely wander around before casually going back in to the hive. Very surprised to see that; thought all the drones would be gone by now....is that normal:confused:

Not wholly unusual, some colonies will put up with a few drones during the Winter .
Or , the worst case scenario is the queen is a drone layer. Lets hope not .
G

two of us treated 40 hives with oxalic today, another 12 hives to treat next week,

standard NBU formula of 3.2% w/v mix ( 75gm oxalic dihydrate with 1l water and 1l sugar)

also tried to make a mix using oxalic dihydrate with ambrosia heavy fructose syrup

but in order to get the oxalic dihydrate to dissolve it required heat that caused the fructose syrup to be oxadised by the Acid and it turned brown ( urine colourx in 20 minutes) so very hi HMF content, so I poured it away

two of us treated 40 hives with oxalic today, another 12 hives to treat next week,

standard NBU formula of 3.2% w/v mix ( 75gm oxalic dihydrate with 1l water and 1l sugar)

also tried to make a mix using oxalic dihydrate with ambrosia heavy fructose syrup

but in order to get the oxalic dihydrate to dissolve it required heat that caused the fructose syrup to be oxadised by the Acid and it turned brown ( urine colourx in 20 minutes) so very hi HMF content, so I poured it away

do the outher way round mix oxalic with demin water till crystals dissolved then add sugar should be ok

Latest posts

Back